• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tonka Muskies

Once again thanks for the help guys! I was going to go out this morning, but I overslept frown.gif. Now it looks like Thursday is my best bet, but the forecast is not favorable. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Another question (I don't think I'll ever run out of these)... I forget who said this, but the "moved out" and trolled Jakes and got some strikes... what depth were you trolling, and was it open water or around structure?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CALVINIST

• Tonka Boy

• Trailblazin

• muskieboy46

Moved 5 fish last night and could not get any biters!

As for your the trolling question - I did not respond to that, but I would guess to troll the weedline in 10-15 of water. The muskies should be in the 10-15ft range. If that does not work, move out a little deeper, same technique!

I was trolling an outside weedline and staying more outside than right on it, running cranks instead of spinnerbaits, so was not real weedless. I could mark tons of bait in 13-18 feet with some scattered weeds still around. Got both strikes as we were running shallow and contacting the weeds.

If you troll, keep you tip in the water -- this will help to collect the floating weeds that would other wise run down your line and collect on your lure. ;-) This will allow you to fish more and clean less.

Good Luck!
Steve

Those floating weeds are driving me nuts. mad.gif I always run with my rods in the holder, but there is no way around that stuff without putting your tip in the water as mentioned before. I've opted to cast more often than I usually would now, and have had tough results.

I'd have to admit this has been my worst season for Tonka muskies to date. They are just not showing up as in the past. Someone please flick that switch!

------------------
Tonka Boy

I've given up on Tonka eyes for a while and will make my first Tonka Musky outing this year, tomorrow morning at day break. I think I'll start on Ferguson's Point (just south of Big Island) and work that area a bit. Anyone have any last minute advice on depth or lure types? I read the earlier posts on this thread and was wondering if anything has changed within the last few days..

Thanks much

The switch will be on tonight! I'll be out there and YES the weeds are crazy this year. Good luck!

Scott

------------------
ARMAN-21

Anchor Man - Love that area!

I like to keep the boat in 10-12 ft of water and cast inside. Other will catch them in 2-3 ft and then you got the guys in 20FT plus casting in.....

Try top waters like Poe's Jackpot, Top raider, buing bucktaisl over the weeds, slow rolling a spinnerbait along the wed edge and then my favorite when nothing else works - the 10" Jointed Believer - work it wherever you can! Add a bell sinker to it so it rattles like a rattle trap! Awesome technique.......

What I've found to be important, though, no matter how deep you fish, is that if a spot looks good, it probably is. So fish it." Transitions are I look for - milfoil to sand, milfoil to coontail, etc. Any combination of broadleaf cabbage and milfoil shoots to the top of my list!

Good Luck!

Thanks blaizin' I'll let you know how I do. It probably won't be until Monday that I have access to the internet, I'll be on Whitefish tomorrow night for the weekend

The switch has been turned off for tonight! After a few hours on tonka tonight, my buddy boated at 42 inch-er at sunset.

Have a good night and fish on!

Scott

------------------
ARMAN-21

Went out this morning. Caught a 41 incher and had 2 follows from fish with lengths in the low 30's. Maybe ill get the big one next week.

muskieboy

I made it out on Friday morning and saw 6 fish. Most were mid to high 30's and one mid 40's. One had one confirmed strike, as the rest just followed with their noses nearly touching the hook. I think I've got the musky itch again. Will definitely get back out this week or weekend.

Good Luck

Made it out Sat. No Ski's from 7-9am. Decided to go for walleye - here is what we ended up with in the next 5 hrs -
16 bass, one being close to 7lbs and 5 walleye, the buggest @ 5-5.5 lbs....
What a day to give the Muskies a break and catch some real nice fish!

Anchor man,
i was out friday morning too. Where did you launch and at what time. i might have saw you.

Muskieboy,

I didn't get out there until about 6:15-6:30 or so. I launched in Wayzata bay. I was in a 16.5 ft Sylvan (red, blue stripes) with a 90hp Envinrude. You may have seen me drifting aimlessly with no trolling motor

anchor man

I launched at the grays bay launch around that same time. I dont remember seeing you or your boat though...

I talked to a guy leaving friday that said he had caught 6 that week so far.

Went out monday morning with 1 follow, one northern, and 2 blowups (one was a nice northern, other didnt see).

muskieboy

I plan to give it another try this Friday- early morning. I hope to be there around 5:15 or so. Have you noticed any patterns out there lately? I saw my fish using a black bucktail w/silver blade, around the 10-12ft range..

I went out of spring park this past weekend what i noticed was very early morning prop bait bite and then again from around 11:30am to 12:30pm white bucktails moved fish for me. I caught a 51" fish friday at 12:15pm she followed to the boat i wait just a little bit and change baits to a white with silver blade muskie candy and she grab that on the first cast i made back to her. I did catch a 30" fish along with a half dozen other follows of which only 2 of them would have broke the 40" mark and that was friday and saturday. Sunday morning i fished a different lake and caught a 34" and 38" fish before the storms moved through.

i havent noticed any patterns. Of course ive only fished the lake 3 times now. One time all the follows came on a red bucktail. The next time was a black bucktail. the next time was a smaller black bucktail. All right along the weed edges.

muskieboy

Thanks long caster..congrats on a nice catch. I think I'll work Wayzata, Browns, and the Diamond Reef area a bit tomorrow early morn. If you don't mind me asking, were you pulling the prop bait over deep open water close to the reef, or were you up over the shallower weeds.

Thanks

I'm glad to hear you guys are doing well out there! I'm going to try and make it out there next Friday, August 13th for some Walleye and Muskie action... If any of you would like to meet up, let me know, I usually go in at Greys Bay or near the Wayzata Yacht club (less congested) I just thought fishing for Ski's on Friday the 13th sounded good!

I'm going to hit the west side for ski's tomorrow morning, if anyone wants to join me. I plan on being on the water by 5am. till about 9. My boat ain't nothing pretty, 16", but it floats.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

anchor man:

sorry for the double post, first one didn't show up right away. I was hanging off the edge of the reef (~17' of water) and casting parallel with the reef and towards deeper water. There was a good chop out there so i was using a really noisy topwater. Hit brackets after dark, nothing out there. Will be back on the hunt tonight so i will post my results tomorrow..

good luck

Anchor man:

Caught a ~40"er last night on diamond. (was by myself, hard to get a accurate measure)Prop style top water was the ticket. Fun fish, went airborne when it hit...what a beautiful night!

Anchor man:

Caught ~40"er last night on the reef. Noisy top water was the ticket. The fish exploded on it, launching itself into the air. Cant wait for fall fishing out there...

3 hours on Tonka last night. Nadda. No sightings, no hook-ups. Felt "fishy" out there, but no luck. Topwater, bucktail, and large spinner baits were used. Boat traffic was terrible.

was out from 7-10, fished big island area. Nothing to get the heart pumping, except all the cruzers out there thinking it is all right to buzz a guy (when i say buzz, i mean within 30 yards) in a 15' boat. Wednesday not even a third of the amount of people as last night, cant wait till those boats are put away after labor day...

how was your outing this morning anchor man?

yessirree, a 16" (inch) red Lowe with 35 horse Johnson. With all the rod/reel combo's, combined with the tackle boxes and a bunch of muskie lures, it's a tight fit! She does go pretty fast though wink.gif.

Were you out there today?

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 08-06-2004).]

I worked Maxwll and North Arm this AM. No fish, but something took a swipe at my super Top Raider at the back end of Maxwell...probably not a crappie!

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>