• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

drove around the lake last night, the open spot has moved east back to halvorson pt. and extends west/ northwest and has gotten much bigger.  numerous small spots opened up west of peters resort to baycrest. I would say from the beach to a little before halvorson pt. over to the dnr landing and west to bottle bay should be good to go, that's where the majority of houses are out.

Fishing was tough. No eyes in morning by beach. No panfish by break over at DNR landing. Moved up and down that whole break....

Coming to fish over new years.....can't wait.

Any updates on the Ice?  I assume with the weather it will be all shored up by this weekend?

I would be very careful on the south side and towards the high school. A car went down yesterday. Just because it has been cold does not mean the whole lake is safe! Good Luck!

The car went down in the spot I was talking about in earlier post.  Out by halvorson pt. and towards the middle of the lake, it was open last thurs afternoon and locked up by sat morning. This is not the year to be joyriding out there. Lots of trucks on the lake but as walleyeman said the south side and towards the high school is sketchy.

Any recommendations for depth and/or times for the walleye action on waska?  Any jig colors/bait working better?  Gotta try out the new secret lures:)

Any updates in ice conditions?  Wondering if spots near the middle of lake that froze late are locked up good.

I fished Thursday Dec. 28 with 15-16" of good ice in front of DNR and Hunts 

we were out Friday night through yesterday fishing for walleyes only got a couple a day to bite probably due to the cold snap.  Moved out near Halverson point and there was well over 12" of ice.

There seems to be a break/heave out past halverson point is this where it was still open a couple weeks ago?  I stayed a good 1/2 mile away from it but could see it.

With the wind yesterday the ice was cracking like crazy.....had a very loud crack happen and the whole ice shifted like 2-4inches felt like a earthquake and i bailed out the door.....1st time that had ever happened to me i had to go in and wipe my behind.

Kind of a late report, but I fished Friday afternoon, and the bite was good.  Perch colored 1/16 oz buckshot spoon iced a few crappies between 3-4 pm, and from 4-6:45 I caught 10 walleyes releasing 8.  most were the cookie cutter 15-16" fatties that have been prevalent for the last 2 years.   12" of ice, 16' of water, edge of a weedline, glow rattle spoon.  Pretty standard minnewaska pattern. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

its gotta be close to the 24" mark. just a reminder stay away from those darn heaves you can't cross over them. 2 trucks dropped their front ends through this weekend trying to cross. have not heard any ice reports where the last part of the lake froze

58 minutes ago, EyeChsr said:

its gotta be close to the 24" mark. just a reminder stay away from those darn heaves you can't cross over them. 2 trucks dropped their front ends through this weekend trying to cross. have not heard any ice reports where the last part of the lake froze

1st welcome, 2nd there are some folks that have to try to be stupid!!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I heard the crappies and eyes are starting to pick-up this morning. Anyone have info or pics?

• 5 weeks later...

Fished Winterama weekend by Lakeside and it was fun to see people doing the Polar Plunge into the chilly waters

of Minnewaska.  The fireworks were great too.  Great job Glenwood for a fun weekend!  Caught a few small sunnies

and a crappie in 15'. Pretty slow

28" - 30" of good ice, not much snow, stay clear of pressure ridge running across from Foster point over to Peters resort and one by Starbuck end.

Went out Saturday, lots of people out and pulling houses off the lake. Good day for that. Fishing was slow. Had the camera down and saw a good variety but they weren't interested in biting. Tried everything from plane hook to buckshot, dead stick to aggressive jigging. just the little guys showed any interest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We we up for the opener and there were lake flies on Waska......wind blew hard yesterday and we finally got out at about 8-9pm last night....by 10:30 we saw lake fly hatch on the sonar and boats were covered with the things.....I figured they should be done by now...….this spring sucks:)

Anybody having any luck out there....looking for eyes.

This thread seemed to die....figured I would see about getting it started again.

We we up for the opener and there were lake flies on Waska......wind blew hard yesterday and we finally got out at about 8-9pm last night....by 10:30 we saw lake fly hatch on the sonar and boats were covered with the things.....I figured they should be done by now...….this spring sucks:)

Anybody having any luck out there....looking for eyes

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Thanks for sharing the info....

How is the fishing going everyone?

Was out on Osakis Saturday with a couple boys (13 and 9) from Illinois. We were only out for a couple hours until a rain forced us off. This was their first time in a boat and I thought we'd drag some crankbaits around and hopefully connect with a few northern or walleyes. No luck but they sure seemed to have fun anyway even though it was a little on the rough side on the water.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 5 months later...

I was on Reno and there was 5 to 7 inches out to 13 feet.  Guy at the bait store said the same about waska.  On Saturday ice felt safe.  On Sunday it was cracking under the weight of the 4 wheeler so I turned around.  Also saw some large cracks developed overnight.   Next week should be good but it is still early.

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions
  • 2 months later...

I am looking to make my first trip ever to Lake Minnewaska this Friday. Has anyone been out there lately? Just wondering with all of the snow lately if travel is possible? Does anyone plow up there? If so, I'd be willing to pay for someone to put us on a plowed spot. Thanks everyone.

We fished on Minnewaska Friday, Saturday, and Sunday last weekend. We went in just south of the beach house on the Glenwood end. There was a real nice road that was plowed out to a small cluster of houses not too far out. You could get off it if you picked your spots. You definitely can't go wherever you want. We were fishing in the basin and had a nice bunch of eating sized gills after putting in some serious time. It was weird as a couple of guys would have their limits and twenty feet away two guys would have less than ten. You could also get on the DNR access but the road there wasn't as good but you could get out. There were some wheel houses that came out and set up without having a plowed spot. You just had to be careful where you set up. That was last weekend and I don't know what the last couple of windy days have done to conditions.

• l Love It 1