• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LandDr

• goose89

• basssmasher*

• carpshooterdeluxe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hit Minnewaska last week and what a week it was. First morning out, limit of eyes, gills and crappie. Talk about largemouth, must have boated a dozen from 3-5.5 punds, never caught bass like this be

called my cuz yesturday and they put the permanent out saturday not too far from Glenwood on favorite spot.  zippo on the action but hopefully it will go after this snap. welcome to FM JD ! 

Curious on this also heading up there Sat on a gill hunt hopefully wont have to swiss cheese the lake to bad  Guessing there's some truck traffic but would like a little more info if possible.

Posted Images

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
IceHawk

Out today in bottle bay and managed 10 nice gills a couple in the 9 inch range and a couple crappies. Look for the isolated weed clumps the gills are really relateing to them. Caught all the fish with small flirty girty's and euro larvae. Get out and cut alot of holes until you land on a pod and you will get a few. Also be prepaired to catch a few pike had some fun on the 2 lb test! grin

Chad Peterson

Out today in bottle bay and managed 10 nice gills a couple in the 9 inch range and a couple crappies. Look for the isolated weed clumps the gills are really relateing to them. Caught all the fish with small flirty girty's and euro larvae. Get out and cut alot of holes until you land on a pod and you will get a few. Also be prepaired to catch a few pike had some fun on the 2 lb test! grin

That is the key to getting on some fish, drill baby drill!

Sniffer

I was out on the lake today to check on the house. I heard rumors of people tearing up the access at Sac's Landing when they are leaving the lake and that the owner is pretty upset. I hope this is not the case as he is being more than generous to allow anyone and everyone to use his access. I would hope people would respect that, but I guess there is always someone who feels they don't need to respect others property. I just hope these few people do not ruin it for the majority of us that appreciate what he does. Sorry for the rant. Looking forward to getting the lines wet tomorrow.

Lake access is in good condition. Was out on Sacs access tonight in bottle bay and was out about a mile. There was a car out a mile so access is good.

Most of the snow on the lake is gone, and slush from the big thaw the past week has froze solid following return to colder weather---at least where I went on the lake (Lakeside access---don't know about the rest). Had best day of fishing this winter yesterday (Friday). Had to sort through the sunnies but caught a lot of nice fish. Morning bite from 9 a.m. to 12 noon was really good, then they ran in spurts in the afternoon. Weather forecast models are calling for 15 to 20 inches of snow for this area beginning sometime Saturday through Sunday with winds of 20-30 mph. Predicting an inch of snow an hour on Sunday. Alexandria is dead center in the band of 15 to 20 inch snowfall.

How much snow in the Glenwood area after this storm? What is it going to do to travel conditions on the lake? I havent been up there all year and wanted to take the wife out in the permanent for one last weekend. Hoping lake travel will be ok yet. Would like to get into some panfish and perch and maybe a bonus eye or 2 through the night. Any areas/depths that have been best? Will have to stop in by 'Fish On' if we make it up there for bait, hopefully he can point me in the right direction. If anyone has any info they would be willing share hit me [email protected] if not i totally understand! Thanks guys!

The key is to drill holes until you find cabbage that is still standing upright. Be prepared to drill a lot of holes. With the heavy snow this year the vast majority of all weeds laid down flush to the bottom. If you can find standing weeds I guarantee you will find nice sunfish and numbers of them. Northerns will be on the prowl as well.

Morning bite from 9 to noon has been much better than the afternoon bite as of late. Details make all the difference in the world. Case in point.....I was with a group last Friday and tied on a chartreuse fat boy and tipped with waxies and the guy started pulling fish in one after another. Immediately tied the exact same lure on the other 3 rods and they caught fish, but not nearly the numbers or the size that the initial lure produced.

On Saturday I went out alone and grabbed the rod that I provided the first individual, and within minutes pulled up a 9 inch sunfish, and then an 8 inch sunfish. After reeling in the second sunfish I noticed that the eyes on that particular fat boy were red glow and were really luminating. After catching another sunfish I managed to break the line. As I looked at the other three rods rigged with the same lure I noticed the eyes were pained dark green and did not glow (red).

I proceeded to tip the lure rigged on the other rods (non-glow eyes) with waxies and put it down and they wouldn't touch it, whereas with the red glow eyes they literally freight-trained it. I dug around in my lure box and managed to find another chartruese fat boy with red glow eyes and they just started hammering it again.

How you hook your waxies makes a big difference as well. Hook two in the middle and a third waxie opposite the head at the very tip (end) and swim it and it gets a lot more attention. As the day goes on it seems like you have to pound the lure to get them to aggressively strike.

We got 9-10 inches in Sunday's storm with a lot of wind. Don't know what the lake looks like because I haven't made it out of the yard yet. Need to move a lot of snow. We got lucky as I talked to my mom on the phone and they got 19 inches down by Madison, MN. Sounds like they are at or near the 100 inch mark for the year.

Chad Peterson

Thanks for the report Corey and yes, we got more than I thought of the white stuff.

Sniffer

basssmasher*

I'd estimate a GOOD 15 + here in Benson... I love ice fishing and all but the snow has to go! lol

Was just out checking out the Glenwood end of the lake. There is a path out from Lakeside but it is not plowed at this point. There is a plowed path out from Hunt's Resort and that is the only plowed road I have seen to this point. Houses really thinned out this past weekend. Sure their will be plowed roads from all access points by the weekend as there are still some big wheel houses out in all areas.

There is more snow on the lake than I anticipated with all the wind we had. Deepest snow is the first 1/4 mile out on the north end, and once you get out it looks to be 8 to 12 inches on level with deeper drifts in spots. It's so white once you get out there it's really tough to see even with polarized sunglasses on.

I anticipate that if you have a 4x4 truck and good tires you can probably go anywhere you want. If you are intending to pull a wheel house behind the truck I suspect it could get dicey if you are looking to blaze an unplowed trail with fish house in tow.

Hammertime0802

What is the update on waska? I am thinking about coming up for the weekend and was wondering how bottle bay has been doing...has the bite picked up or should I give a different lake a try?

Any updated reports from Waska? How has lake travel been the last day or two and how has the bite been?? Still debating on whether to bring the house up this weekend. Where's Landdr? Havent seen a report from him for awhile.

Here's an update on lake conditions:

There's about 8 inches of snow on level. Shouldn't have much of a problem driving anywhere with 4x4 truck.

Access update on Glenwood end:

Lakeside-- road plowed

DNR--path out but not plowed

Hunt's Resort--road plowed

Sac's--path out but not plowed

Sheriff's Landing--road plowed but not to Bottle Bay. Road heads to the south toward School Pt. Not sure how far south it goes.

Talked to a couple guys this morning and the panfish bite for sunnies and crappies has been very good the past couple days. Sunnies in the morning and late afternoon with crappies biting right before and after dark (and into the evening).

Not much pressure on the lake during the week so the bite is typically pretty good. Once 200-300 vehicles get on the ice over the weekend it tends to scatter the fish. Guys I talked with said the sunnies were really nice with a lot of 8 inch fish. Crappies from 9-11 inches.

Landdr- Since your on vacation will you be open on Saturday mid-morning or so? If I head to Waska I'm gonna need some bait from ya! thanks..

Koep's will be open for sure. If you're after minnows, Fetterer's is open 24/7. Usually the best bait, IMO, in the waska area, esp. open water bait.

When it's open, someone else has been in Fish On the times I've stopped.

section 5a wrestling tournament is in minnewaska tomorrow. looking to do a little fishing before. would i be able to take a car onto the lake?

Just wanted to check on the conditions on to the lake at Lakeside and at the a-frame out to crappie town. Are there good roads going out still, and is the ice still in good driving condition. Will be heading up tomorrow and would like to know what I'm in for.. Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end everything merges together....And a river runs through it..

Hammertime0802

Has the panfish bite been good in bottle bay off sacs landing? Looking to bring a big house out sometime this week, will i be able to get it out.

• Rick changed the title to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  We are in the heart of a great summer walleye pattern on LOW. This means good fishing is taking place with two primary methods, pulling spinners with live bait and trolling crankbaits.
      Most anglers are targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud. Lots of big fish being caught.  The scattered reefs are holding fish as well.  Spinners and crawlers have been very effective.  Hammered gold, pink, orange and red / white spinners doing well.
      Trolling crankbaits and covering water over deep mud has also been effective.  Anglers getting cranks deep in a number of ways.  Leadcore line, a 4 ounce bottom bouncer with a 6' leader, snap weights or downriggers are all viable options.
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River is a great option on windy days, small boats, kayaks or for a change of pace.  Fishing the river producing walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon.  
      If targeting walleyes, holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find fish.
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great summer walleye fishing this week.  Fish in various areas including  the mud, structure such as sunken islands and underwater points and rocky areas.
      Most anglers drifting spinners with crawlers or minnows and trolling crankbaits.  
      Pike continue to be active in weedy bays using crankbaits and bucktails.  
      Canada announced driving over the border will be possible August 9th for fully vaccinated Americans who have a negative PCR COVID test less than 72 hours old. Other ways to the Angle...
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service from the south end of the lake.  

• Dash 1
      By Dash 1
      Curious how the depth is in river from Wolf lake to Andrusia and Cass. Is it navigateable.  Was  up there last September and went through there. Kind of scenic and nice slow ride on the mighty Mississippi.  Did get a few fish as well.  Hopefully going there again this year.  Staying at my brother's cabin with his son and my dad near Becida. With dad in his early 80s hoping to keep this 3 year tradition going for a while.
    • PSU
      By PSU
      Heard from an island neighbor (Church Island) next to ours that a bear killed a small dog yesterday around 8:00 pm on an island in Frazer Bay. Also, my other island neighbor to the east (Juniper Island) reported three bears yesterday and one chased after their labrador retriever.  

Watch your pets friends, some of these bears are very aggressive!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A lot of summer walleyes are being caught and fishing has been good.  
      Not all walleyes are targeting the same forage consequently walleyes are being caught shallow to deep.   Many of the shallow fish are eating crayfish or schools of baitfish.  Deep fish feeding on baitfish, mayfly larvae, blood worms, tullibees and the list goes on!
      Most anglers are targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud.  The scattered reefs can always hold fish as well.  Spinners and crawlers have been very effective.  Hammered gold, orange and red / white spinners doing well.
      Trolling crankbaits has also been effective.  This technique puts your lure in front of a lot of fish and will get those "reaction" bites even when fish aren't actively feeding.  Pink UV Firetiger, chrome/blue and shiny golds are good colors to start with. 
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River producing a variety of fish.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are in the mix.    
      If targeting walleyes, holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find fish.
      The river is a great change of pace, is beautiful and doesn't receive a lot of traffic during the summer months.
      The sturgeon "keep" season opened July 1st and is open through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Lots of walleyes being caught.  Some fish over the mud, others hanging around structure and a few in shallow rocks eating crayfish.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows or leeches on the spot on the spot can be effective.  If fish aren't there, move and find them.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers and trolling crankbaits over deep mud areas.  
      Pike are active in weedy bays using crankbaits and bucktails.  
      With the Canada border still closed, there are a few ways to get up to the Angle.  
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service from the south end of the lake.  
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages around LOW at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging.  For last minute lodging, try the lodging availability finder at www.fishingminnesota.com/lodging-availability-request/

• CigarGuy
      By CigarGuy
      Have some friends coming up this weekend. They have an 18" glass pleasure boat. Wondering if with the low water, we'll have trouble launching? Anybody use the launch lately?
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Day 3 of using nothing but drop shots, wacky rigs, and jig and craw took me to Wisconsin to see if I could continue my newfound favorite lures. I went to Church Pine Lake, just east of Osceola. Never been here before, so had no clue what to expect. Turns out to be a nice little lake for a small boat such as mine. Lots of potential here, but fishing was tough today. Most fish came on the drop shot on the deep weed edges. 6 bass and 1 little pike. Highlight came at the very end of the day, where I caught a 21 inch bass right in front of the access. Best way to end the day 😁

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Another really good week of summer walleye fishing.  Walleyes are being found in many areas but most are targeting deep mud in 30 - 34' of water.
      A nice mix of eaters, slots and quite a few trophy walleyes over 28 inches caught this week.  Spinners with crawlers / leeches or trolling crankbaits have been the most effective techniques.  
      Good spinner blade colors to start with are hammered gold, red / white, gold / glow, pink, orange or chartreuse.
      Crankbait colors, pink UV firetiger, chrome / blue, firetiger.  It is good to start with different colors / shapes / action of cranks when fishing with other anglers and let the walleyes tell you that day what they want.    
      On the Rainy River...   The river produces a mixed bag of fish during the summer months.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are all available.  
      The sturgeon "keep" season opened July 1st and is open through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Lots of walleyes being caught.  Some fish over the mud, others hanging around structure and a few in shallow rocks eating crayfish.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows or leeches on structure is still effective if fish are present.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers over deep mud areas.  Trolling crankbaits continues to be effective.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are a few ways to get up to the Angle.  

• Marye
      By Marye
      So I'm fairly new to the area my boys love fishing as do I . We have been attempting for the past couple of weeks to find a place we can fish without a boat. In between Brainerd and Little Falls. Also times of day to go. We love fishing I'm a newbie as well so just looking for ideas please and thank you.
    • rumeye
      By rumeye
      Going up to GM 16th through the 21st bringing my 14fter was looking at Ball club and east west twin for walleyes. Anybody fish these before or am I just better off smallie fishing on Two Island or trout in Kimball. I know JB and Moose will have some feedback so what say you ? going up with the wife and 8 yr old grandson they will be kayaking me fishing. Although grandson will probably want to be fishing with me. Appreciate any feedback from you guys thanks.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  An excellent week of walleye fishing.  Walleyes are being found in a variety of areas, but most anglers focusing on deep mud in 30 - 34' of water, although anglers found fish in less than 20' as well.
      Walleyes can be scattered across big mud basins or hanging out in small schools.  Covering water by drifting snelled spinners with a crawler or leech or trolling crankbaits has been effective.  
      Anglers using a 2-3 ounce weight for spinners in deeper water.  For trolling crankbaits, many options.  Downriggers, lead core line, a 4 oz bottom bouncer with a 6' mono / fluorocarbon leader or snap weights to get your lures down to the fish.
      A nice mix of sizes include small fish, eaters, slots (19.5 - 28") and trophy walleyes over 28".  Summer is a great time to target big fish.
      On the Rainy River...   The river producing a mixed bag of fish.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are all available.  
      From the mouth of the Rainy River at Wheeler's Point to Birchdale, there is 42 miles of navigable river.  A fun option on high wind days or for a change of pace.  Water levels are low so use caution in shallow areas.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows on structure is still effective as if fish are there, they will come through in waves.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers over deep mud areas.  Trolling crankbaits has also been effective.
      Good pike fishing for those who like targeting them.  Muskie anglers boating some nice 50 plus inch fish all on the U.S. side as the border is closed.  Smallmouth hanging around deep rocky areas.  .
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Oh you'll have plenty of time before snow flies.😉 you just need to put your mind to it !!👍🤭
    • TrueNorth
      I rented a cabin in June that had the new StarLink (Elon Musk) in it.  Let me tell ya....Lighting!  I was pulling 150 to 200 MB.     4 of us stayed there and zero problems...even during heavy cloud cover.  This is the solution for fast internet up there. 
    • StillFishin'
      I don’t know the technical on how ACcess Mn works, but we have it as of this year.  I still have my CC service( which used ATT tower in Frazier but too far away)  as I’m up not up there permanently.  No internet at the cabin before but now there is, plus Wifi calling.  I may ditch my land which will save $.      
    • leech~~
      I'm wondering if you should try and use long track sled tracks as it maybe a bit tippy, or keep it as wide as you can. Are you may find out you will need a pair of skis out front for better stability? There are a bunch of them on Youtube to look at. Some of them seem more front to back tippy then side to side becuase of being top heavy. But, Im no engineer! 😆 Love the concept! 👍
    • Austin12345
      I think when your ice fishing a fish finder is your most essential piece of gear it makes a worlds difference to be able to hole hop and find different areas and see fish chasing. In the summer time it is not as essential but it can give you a huge advantage if you know how to use your unit right.  
    • Mtnman
      Happy you are getting rain. Should be back on Rainy the end of August.  Cheers !!  
    • papadarv
      My total design. All details are mind created as I build. Did this sketch design last Dec.   In my "Open Air Workshop" behind my shed  
    • delcecchi
      Well, missed us again.     That radar overlay at Wunderground wundermap seems to be off a little.  Basically, pffft it was done.   A lttle toonder and lightning and then nothing.   
    • Mike89
      tornado and water spouts are one and the same I was taught....  just sayin....
    • Steve Smith233
      Thanks for your informative article.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.