• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Minnewaska is very busy during Waterama. Be especially careful if you're out on the lake at night after the fireworks show. Boats and pontoons are going every which way and I always come across plenty with poor/improper lighting, and in some case none at all.

we were out there today, fishinG was okay, ran into a total [PoorWordUsage] at the access. we put the boat in, before we could even park the truck the retard and his bud were backing the boat in to the point where their motor almost backed in to our boat, and his little retared chick friends were giggling the whole time like they thought the boys were being cool, but they just made us very madd.. hey moron, do that again and ill jump over my boat and make sure you NEVER do that again. am i the only one that has to deal with [PoorWordUsage] holes on waska?

I wasn't fishing with him and I didn't take the photo...but he did show me the photo on his phone. It was laying from nose to fin on the ruler and that was good enough for me to report.

I will see if he can email me the photo and will post for your own satisfaction. Still not sure why you just have to give me heat all the time...but whatever paddles your boat.

10 to 10.5 inch sunnies don't seem to be so uncommon right now. I have had several different independant reports in of gills 10 to 10.5 inches...most being caught with panfish leaches (not shrimp smile )

Fish On!

Hey Landdr

Heading to the wonderful waska tommorrow am with my wife and kids for the weekend, I would appreciate the latest hot spot update on where to catch what if you wouldn't mind !!!!

Thanks for the info in advance !

Most people have been going after the sunnies. Still good reports on big sunnies...both shallow 6 to 8 fow and out deeper in 16 to 18 fow. I would probably target the 12 to 14 ft weed line but there are many many spots to try. Priests Pt, Peter's down to Baycrest, Swenson Pt. and Bay, Minnewaska House pencil weeds, Lakeside Ballroom bar, etc., etc.

You can slip bobber with a panfish leach, crawler, waxie, etc. or even pull spinners for them and maybe pick up a walleye along the way. You can even pull small crankbaits...again maybe pick up a walleye or even a crappie.

Bass and pike pretty much everywhere and very aggressive...shallow to deep.

If you want to catch a lot of fish and several different kinds, Waska is a great lake to go to.

Fish On!

Got out for some night eyes last night. Been itching to do so and finally got to it.

Once again the lake turned flat on me. Hard to fish eyes shallow with that flat of water.

We did manage to catch 8 eyes, 1 smallie and a pike. Kept 3 eyes that measured 15, 16.5 and 17.5. Four to six fow with a F11 Vampire. There were a couple boats on the lake when we started but had the lake to ourselves by eleven. People always leave right when the fishing gets the best!

Might try it again if I can find some time.

Fish On!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been on waska yet this year--last year was very good for the panfish--are there any reports or how is the sunfish bite??

thanks

I was at Game Fair thru the weekend with booth and seminars...vbut need to get out for some fishing this week. Gotta catch up on work first tho.

The panfish bite has been very good and steady. I occassionally hear a poor report or two but the majority are really getting into some nice sunnies and some crappies as well. There are some more productive spots but for the most part just work the 12 to 14 ft weed lines all around the lake and you should have good success. Good sunnies are being found in the 16 to 20 fow water areas as well...off School Point, Priests Point and other areas off the breaks.

Bass and pike everywhere.

Walleyes are out there but there is also a good supply of forage for them so they are a tougher bite since they have so much else to eat. Best walleye bite has been at night but we usually pick up a few during the day as well.

Fish On!

Barsness Park (call city hall for reservations or stop at park) or maybe even Hunts Resort for the Glenwood Side. Hobo Park possibly for the Starbuck side. Glacial State Park south of Staruck also has camping.

Barsness Park is pretty open with kid play stuff and right by the lake.

Sunfish are really biting well as well as bass...kids should have a great time!

Fish On!

Landdr a 10.5" bluegill?? can I see that picture? with the ruler

10.5" gills on Waska are as plentiful as old ladies at the VFW playing bingo.

They are literally everywhere.

When fishing Waska I only keep 9.5 to 10.5 inch gills.

10.5" gills on Waska are as plentiful as old ladies at the VFW playing bingo.

They are literally everywhere.

When fishing Waska I only keep 9.5 to 10.5 inch gills.

Oh boy...time to get out your hip boots boys, it's getting deep!

Hey...I just said my cousin caught "one" that was 10.5 inches.

That's not so unreasonable since many people catch 8 to 10 inch sunnies on the lake both summer and winter.

My dad and I got into some big ones last year that might have been 10 to 10.5 inchers but that was just a chance one and we did not measure them. Those were some very big gills tho!

Might try some night fishing tonight...I think I seen a growing moon!

Fish On!

Noticed the lake temp is starting to drop. Last night in the strong East wind it was down to 73.6F Hopefully that will continue and the W's will pick up.

we're taking the kiddies camping on minnewaska tues and wed and was wondering if anyone had any fishing reports or tips--mostly panfish preferably on the glenwood end. alos we plan on doing some trolling for pike or walleyes with raps---I believe tues is a full moon and I'm not very good at the whole night time trolling thing.

if you don't want to put it on the interent feel free to emial me @ [email protected]

thnaks Landr for the camping spots---Are you working at all on tues?

Thanks alot--I'll drop a report when we get back

Aaron

firefish

Glad to see you are getting some time to get the kids out camping and some fishing...hopefully the weather will work out as well.

The panfish slowed for awhile after the major rain events...added a lot of water to the lake and stired it up. Kinda shut things down for awhile but I have been starting to hear better reports again.

Work the 12 to 14 ft weedlines for panfish and you should do fine. Definately some nice sunfish out deep though too...even out to 20+.

Bass and pike have stayed pretty active and you shouldn't have too much of a problem catching them as well. Same spots as the sunnies.

Walleyes are tougher to come by during the day. You can work the weedlines or even try some deeper spots with jigs, rigs or cranks. I have not heard to many good reports and usually only get a couple when we go out during the day. I am going to try to get out tonight if the wind goes down...nice moon and it is calling!

I will be in Tuesday for awhile but then not sure what the day has in store for me. I still have some food plots to finish up so I might be out farming. smile

Fish On!

well got back from minneswaska--the campground was awesome and the kids had a blast. the fishing was extremely slow compared to last year fished weds for 6 hours with very lil to show for it tried for sunnies first and hole holed and tried some drifting as well. caught a few but all small tried trolling for pike any where from 7-15FOW not much to show at all but a nice day on the water weds. could have been the cold front pushing thru had higher expectations out of waska but that lake gets pounded hard every season each year so got to slow down sooner or later. might try for some eyes out there in a few weeks when the water cools

I had the family out there thursday. Chased sunnies for the better part of 6 hours. Only 4 keepers. Very slow compared to last time I was out there.

I would agree things are slow this summer. Been fishing Waska for the last 5 years, and this is the slowest I've seen. Not sure it's the water temp as I have seen it warmer. Have noticed that the perch population is improving. Seeing more and more 9 and 10 inch fish.

Actually, the walleyes are biting fairly good right now. Just have to find them. The heavier the wind the better the bite is.

We have been finding a lot of sunnies on the south side...Peter's and west of there typically. We found them a little shallower this time...more in 10 to 12 fow rather than 14 fow. I think as the lake settles down from all the rain, the bite should get better and better.

Just try fishing for walleyes with a crawler and you will get plenty of sunnies!

Still an agressive bass and pike bite.

Fish On!

Hello fellow fishermen and outdoorsmen. I was just wanting some advice on spots where the bass and pike bits have been good. I have been coming to Minnewaska for the past 5 years over the labor day weekend and haven't had much luck with bass around the lake but have found spots with sunnies. It would be awesome if anybody could point out some spots for me for the weekend where the bass bite is good.

It's been very slow lately. Unless you talk to the bait shop guy...of course they are biting like crazy then : )

Try trolling just outside the weedlines (13-16 fow) with silver/blue raps. Halveson point to past Baycrest is good.

Sorry I missed the posts...had a trip to Canada and just got back. A lot of fun!

I personally have not had a problem catching a lot of bass and pike on Waska...my wife has definately outfished me on the bigger pike. I posted some photos on this.

But it is still "fishing" and not "catching", so I am sure everyone will have different results. Some know the lake better than others as well. But I don't think you will get too many rediculous reports from the good "bait shop guys" around Minnewaska. I think you will find the majority of them are very helpful and will do their best to get you on some fish...or at least a good time trying.

We have picked up a lot of bass and pike, and some really nice sized ones, pulling Reef Runners along the weed lines in 12 to 14 fow. I think if we slowed down and threw some spinnerbaits, jigs or plastics we would even catch more...but we like to troll and cover some ground for the fun of it.

I would agree with GoingFishin...I think that is right on. Maybe even slow down and try some casting, jigging or rigging as well. I have caught some of my biggest bass and pike out from Peter's and Baycrest.

Dilber007...how did you do? Do you have a report for us? I heard the weather was pretty tough over the weekend but I wasn't around to confirm.

Fish On!

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions