• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Hi landdr, the bite was great saturday. You put us on some good fish---thanks. between the five of us we kept 3 limits of nice sunnies i think we released at least that many also, the kids had a blast at some times we couldn't get the line down fast enough not all were big but still fun to catch. we missed one northern-walleye? don't no but took the chub but we missed it. after that the kids didn't want to leave. so thanks for your help and we will be a stopping in again soon!!

Excellent to hear...great lake to take the kids to as it keeps them really busy. Are they old enough to take the fish off themselves and re-bait...or did that task keep you busy as well?

I left my son and the neighbor boy out in our walleye house yesterday as I had to get into the store. Went back out around noon to check on them and bring lunch. I walked into kaos! They had just caught and released a big pike...and they managed to collect every line they had down including their panfish lines. It was a tangled mess on the floor...and they were just giddy with excitment about it all. smile I started trying to untangle it but just ended up snipping all of the lines...it was a mess but well worth seeing the excitment on their faces. It was time for them to go home anyway as their mothers were missing them.

Fish On!

Hey Landdr,

It was nice to finally meet you. The wife and I had a great time. I think it only took us 1 hour to catch a limit of sunfish. We caught & released about another hour after that. It was non-stop action. By the way, we were a ways off the group all by ourselves. It was nice and peaceful. Went out by your rental about 1:30 Saturday afternoon and set up in about 17ft. Caught some perch that afternoon (some keepers) and then about 6:30pm we caught the first walleye (17"). We ended the night with 1 pike (@ 10:30pm) and 3 walleyes between 17" & 18". Oh ya, 1 bullhead in the middle of the night. Dang thing! Might be back for the walleyes one last time this coming weekend. Thanks for the info.

yea there are old enough to take off themselfs. if they hadn't been i dont think i would have even had time to fish myself. i only have a clam 6800 so my one son kept getting caught up in his northern line but he managed well on his own. It was the first time for me with my vex, i got this year and it really worked well it helps that there was fish down there. it helped me figure it out better now i just have to get me a permanent house on wheels. I worked the wife hard this year and she give in on the vex(helps to hound every day) and she gavein. but it dont seem to be working on the house as of yet. she will get tired of hearing about it and hopefully give in. Problably not till next year but.... thanks again

Crue86...you need to work the deal like Schwanny is doing! Take the wife fishing...she catches a lot of fish...even some walleyes...and she loves that you bought the fish house!

Plus...for Schwanny, it was Valentines Day! Nice catch!

PS...I do believe that Waska holds the state record black bullhead. Something like 3.5 lbs. or something caught by Mike Erlandson...he graduated from HS a year or so younger than me if I recall. Not even from Iowa!

Thanks for the reports...glad you had a great time.

Fish On!

Hey landdr,It's nice to see you set all your buddy's up to catch fish.LMAO! thats o.k. I understand it's a pretty tight knit group you got there.Someday maybe I can be special & get some of them group benefits.HAHA. I'm glad to hear some good reports, It's only going to get better.

I just knew you were going say something soon! smile My ears where burn'in.

Best thing going is you can drive anywhere on the lake now...and not get stuck. smile

You will see both of those reports are from areas out and away from the groups but still in that 16 to 17 feet range. There are a lot of opps all over the lake for that...but the walleye bite has really picked up nice. I would post a photo of that fat 25+ that I caught two nights ago but I can't figure out how to post a photo. Tech. challenged.

Last weekend to catch pike and walleyes...tell the misses that you have a very important meeting to attend and then get on the lake!

Remember everyone that spearing was done last Sunday. Just had some guys in wanting spearing decoys...they were a little quite when I opened the book to show them the date. smile

Fish On!

Does it cost anything to get into KFC (Kyles fishing club).I wish you would have told me about this last time I was up.I went and bought some STABLicers for the boots so I'm a much better truck pusher now. I would like to get up there again soon. All I have to do is get some of my buds here in chaska out of the bar long enough to make the trip up.It's only a 2 hr.drive so it's not like going to LOTW. or URL.

Was that 25er you caught out by the grey house with the diamond plate? We stopped at a bar in starbuck for some lunch & a couple of premos.We talked to the bartender a real friendly guy who knew who you are. He said that he caught a 31 incher out of there this winter.I'm gettin the itch to get back there and fish where I want to bad.Talk to you soon kyle.

Remember everyone that spearing was done last Sunday. Just had some guys in wanting spearing decoys...they were a little quite when I opened the book to show them the date. smile

Fish On!

Landdr spearing closes on the 22 this coming sunday. Unless waska has a separate date it is still open.

KFC...that is good. smile Catchy too!

Is there a house like that one on the lake?

Spearing...did they change the date from what is in the DNR fishing handbook? Page 55 says Feb. 15. Someone please help us out if that is a typo or something...but that is what it says.

Fish On!

go to dnr website page 55 of the regs. I think that they did change it after the books were printed but it is open till the last weekend of feb. as stated on there site.

Got out too late last night to catch any sunnies but did get 19.5, 16 and 26 inch walleyes...missed two. That 26 incher was a pig! Went back down the hole after a quick photo.

Little chilly today but looks like a great weekend lining up!

Fish On!

Landdr, headin up your way saturday morning with my wheelhouse. What are the odds you will have chubs/suckers left? or should i try find some on the way up? Any must-have things i cant buy at your store?!

I think most stores will have suckers for the weekend as we will also.

I was using a red hook with a big sinker to keep the sucker from swimming around too much. I noticed that I was marking A LOT of fish all through the night but could not get them to bite. They would follow the sucker around and also follow my jig...but not bite. And then after a while a rattle reel would go down.

Fish On!

aka...KFC

Usually down there around 6 or 7 am. Sunfish start biting around 7:00 - 7:30 plus or minus. Pike are really hungry in the morning!

I have yet to catch a walleye after 5 am.

Fish On!

Minnewaska update for the weekend...

Weather looks great. High chance of snow today but only 2 to 4 mph winds and a high around 20. Nice day! Saturday is a little more breezy with winds up to 10 to 12 mph. Still pretty nice. Sunday is around 20 F and low winds again. Nice weekend to end the walleye/pike season on and also some good panfish'n.

All accesses are in great shape except for the Lakeside one where the ice seperated from the shore...it may have move back but I have not been down there to look since. Most people are using the Sacks Landing and Sheriffs Landing anyway to access Bottle Bay and School Bar and School Point.

Very easy to move anywhere on the lake...very little snow and great ice conditions.

Walleyes...there are many many spots to set up for walleyes and the bite has been very good. We usually catch 3 or 4 an evening with the two biggest last times out at 25 and 26 inches. Very nice fish and we sent them back down the hole. Some spots to consider for walleye would be The Beach, Old Road Grade (out front of Lakeside Ballroom), School Bar, School Point, Priests Point, Meat Hole and even The Hole. The entire south side has been pretty much untouched this year and there are some great breaks over there as well...Swenson Point, Halvorson Point, Barsness Point and breaks inbetween. Access the south side from the Glenwood Beach or come across from Starbuck if you are down at that side. Taking a wheeler house across the lake should be no problem. There are also some interesting spots out in the flats...little rises and drops.

Pike...just go to the weed lines and/or where there are sunfish. You should not have any problem finding them. I caught two last night...yes at night! What the heck are they doing biting at night?

Sunfish...Bottle Bay is still steady. Move out and away from the typical spot but stay in 15 to 16 feet and you can find some great spots where few have fished. I went out from 4 to 6 on Sunday near School Bar and caught 20 that were 8 to 9 inchers...actually threw very few back. Just nice fish. Early morning and 4 to 6 pm are most active times but you can catch them all day as well. Good reports from west of Priests Point as well. There were also several reporting last weekend that they went out deep in 18 to 19 feet and found gills stacked up on little breaks. These are fish that have not seen a hook yet this winter and can be more agressive.

Fish On!

I agree with finding the fish in deeper water to be very agressive early in the day and late in the day. I have fished deep all winter 18+ ft of water and have had very good luck. I have not caught gills all day long, but what has been nice is we have picked up 3-5 nice walleyes each time in the middle of the day.

Panfish bite was pretty steady late afternoon and some really nice ones.

We moved both houses next to each other and between the two we got 1 - 15, 2 - 17s and one 25 walleye. Missed several. Some would come in and just pound the sucker minnow and others would take it light.

Another two-lippee was caught. Second one in this spot and they are around 2.5 to 3 lbs...look like a giant shiner!

Finally some snow to bank the house! Not enough snow to cause any problems with driving around...still can go where ever you want.

Fish On!

Thanks again landdr! We ended up keepin enough gills for a meal for dad and I, but caught and released a TON more. Ended up catchin & releasin a few pike, several bass, and missed a few eyes, but got to watch alot of pike and eyes on the camera right before dark. I was a good/fun 12 hours on the lake.

Sounds like everyone had a good weekend!

Just had a fella stop by that was heading back to St. James. He said it was the best fishing he has had in a long time. Really had a great time.

He also started out by the group in Bottle Bay but spread out to other areas as I had recommended him to try...and got into some really nice gills.

Weather looks really great for tomorrow...shorts and suntan lotion weather!

Fish On!

Landrr, I was in the bottle bay area on sunday am, caught 1 sunnie and marked a ton but no other biters, so I ventured off away from the pack.. hit 11 ft of water and nothing.. went to 17 ft and small perch.. so I ended uo right on the very edge of the 1st group of houses on the left side of the road. and WHAMMO, sunnies galore and 4 crappies.. it was fun as always. but now the permies have to be off this wknd so I need to see the distance I was driving out 4 future reference after the perms are gone.. Or do you know about how far out that is.. 3/4 mile?

That is the key...keep trying a few spots and you will find them. Sounds like you found a honey hole to even get a few crappies. Great day on the lake.

It is about 3/4 mile but not sure. As with everyone else...I just use the houses as the marker. Even though they will be gone, the thousand holes will still be there to show the spot.

We seen a tone of fish on the camera Sunday as well but they were not very aggressive...and we are out by ourselves for the most part so not a lot of other houses. My son caught a couple that must have been 9 or 10 inches...real rod benders. But it was really frustrating looking at all of those fish on the camera and they would not even look at the bait. That's fishing.

However, yesterday, guys came in saying the bite started again and it was one right after another. Maybe pressure change?

There are a lot of guys that look forward to the late season panfish bite on Waska...all the houses are gone and you pretty much have the lake to yourselves and a bunch of portables. Last year the crappie bite really picked up at the west end of Crappie Town and/or the east end of Bottle Bay...there is a cut in the contour there that the crappies need to move through to get to Bottle Bay to stage up to go into Shallow Pond to spawn.

Fish On!

Fished Sunday a.m. west of bottle bay, 22ft of water.............and caught a limit of 8.5-9" gills before 9:00 am. FireTiger glow jig 1/16 oz tipped with spikes. Haven't moved from this spot in 4 weeks, just one day out of the weekend, and have been fishing with no other pressure. Also lost a nice 25-26" walleye just before leaving. Can't wait for late ice, it will only get better.

all of our fish on saturday came on the edge of the houses in bottle bay, in about 15 FOW. tried in the middle of the houses, but the fish were tight-lipped. Im glad i did some exploring. Might be back up again this weekend!

Sounds like fun fishing. I was wondering where exactly is bottle bay located on the lake? A friend and I are heading out there tomorrow. Any info would be appreciated, thanks

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions