• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

I keep giving people the same advice...there is a lot of water on Waska and a lot of weed lines and all most all of them have fish...and these fish have probably not seen a hook yet this year. It can be tough finding those edges without GPS but you can either drill a bunch of holes in a line to get the contour, or we can give you some directions from landmarks as well.

A group was in our house today...on the outside of the madness...and took home 40 sunnies (half limit each all they wanted) with all being 7.5 to 8 inches with about 10 or so 9 inchers. Nice fish! They threw back a bunch also and had a great time.

Bassmasher...from my experience 12 ft. is too shallow and you are going to get into perch. I find that just about anywhere on the lake that I go. However, IceHawk seems to have had some success with shallow water and others might as well. Even in the summer I don't go shallow like that...but whatever works is the way to go. I would recommend starting on the immediate outside of the group to get some staple in the bucket...and then head out to explore some other areas. For the Cub Scout Fishing Derby Saturday, we cleared off a big spot with the tractor for the tents and concesion stand...and then we ran a trail down the 14 ft. shoulder of the contour so the scouts know where the 14 ft. line is and some bearing of where to start.

Maybe we need to take the tractor and drive around the lake on the 16 ft. contour so everyone knows where to start and to spread out? smile

Fish On...and on...and on...and on!

Temps have been pretty good today but there is a little wind chill. Still better than negative 20!

A lot of activity out in Bottle Bay today. A lot of sunfish on the camera but they are not really agressive. Still can catch a limit of nice sunfish working at them...just not as agressive. I can't say enough about trying different areas to the west in the same depth, especially on the weekends when there are a lot of people in the center area. These weedlines should hold fish as well and probably more agressive.

There is also a lot more room to the east side of Bottle Bay definately worth a check.

Fish On!

I, was up there sat.fishing was tough.It was real windy & we couldn't go where we wanted.We drilled alot of holes & threw the camera down saw a little bit of everything but not a whole lot of anything.We got stuck A few times & for us old cats there was alot of fishing energy expended on digging & pushing We were probably do for one of those kind of trips.We need some warmer weather to knock those high spots down. They are real hard to see and when you bottom out you're done. There were alot of real inviting places on the gps to checkout but we couldn't get to them.Fool me once O.K. but they better get some chapstick for cracked lips. I'm going back a little more determined next time when I can go where I want.

My dad and I went out Saturday to bottle bay. Lots of people, lots of activity, but the bite was really slow and finnicky. Didn't have a lot of time to be moving around to find them, but we got about 3 hours in with one perch to show for it. Anytime out on the lake is good enough though.

Fished Saturday afternoon from noon until about 6 pm. Tried some shallower water and weeds, caught (3) small gills and (2) perch. At 4:00 moved to deeper water outside the weed line. Caught/released a 14 inch walleye at about 4:45. Marked alot of fish, no takers. At 5:25 they turned on. Two of us caught 25-30 gills in a 15 minute span, kept 18 all in that 8.25-9+" range. By 6:00 they were done, pretty typical of what we have had all season.

Spotchecker...I don't recommend making a new road. smile Next time just go back to the Hwy and come back onto the lake on the next access down (free one). I appreciate you checking all of those spots. We moved our "walleye" house from 18 to 16 feet yesterday and there were sunfish all over the camera...but did not want to bite. I am going to try it today if I can get out and use that "gold" hook that everyone has been recommending.

Angry Irishman...that is really interesting to have that late of a bite on those gills. Most people have already left by that time. Nice size too.

Our house in Bottle Bay did really well Friday with them taking 40 fish home with most in the 7.25 to 8" range with 10 to 12 in the 9" range. Saturday they also caught a lot of fish but threw them all back as a guy had his sons out and just wanted to fish...not clean any. Said they had a great time. No one in the house on Sunday. This house is right on top of a weed patch and there are gills on the camera constantly with the ocassional bass and pike.

Fellas in our Walleye house got nothing but had a second house in 2 feet shallower as well and caught 10 walleyes out of that house. They were using the two fatheads on a hook trick...must work! We moved our Walleye house in to that depth and will give it a try as well.

I will keep an eye on the ice conditions with this weather in case you have a house out there or are coming up.

Fish On!

The bite for us has been before sun rise to just after and then they shut down for the day and then they pick up at sun down. This has been the pattern for the past three weeks. I have only fished on Saturdays and it has been very productive. You are absoulutely correct in saying that most people have left by that time. We almost gave up on the spot because everyone had said they were getting anything...........turns out they were still there.

No weeds, No crowds, low-light = fish for us.

Access and ice conditions are good on Waska. Roads are flooded with more water but people are driving out and around them now. The rain and warmer weather took care of most of the snow on the lake so you can get around just about anywhere. Off the road is still wet and a little slushy...if you slip you are going to get wet. smile Temps only got up to about 32F today and by Friday it is forcasted as a low of 5 and high of 20. That should really firm things up for a good weekend of fishing.

We checked houses and they look good. So if you are far away and wondering about your house and if it is floating down by Starbuck now...don't worry it is still where it was before. There isn't much of "banking" anymore however as snow is getting hard to find except where it was pushed up. That will probably be pretty hard and crunchy by Friday and tough to bank with. Might want to bring your own snow along...or some long strips of carpet, etc. to keep the breeze out.

Lots of sunfish on the camera...just crabby fish. I have noticed that jigging will bring them in...but if you keep jigging, they will swim away. Once they are close, you have to do an ever so slight bounce. They will then very slowly swim up and then take it. I had very few that would go with anything else. Gold jig seems to be the color of choice. No idea why.

One fella in this morning caught some crappie in Crappie Town...unbelievable, finally some crappies. I don't know if this is a fluke or if the crappies are starting to move towards the bay to eventually move into Shallow Pond for spawning. Might be something worth checking out. Access at Lakeside is in great shape to head out there if you want to.

Fish On!

Thanks for the reassurance that the houses are where we put them. smile Been trying to not worry about it, but it' been tough not too. Doesn't sound like they'll be flood either. Right??

I've seen some pix of other areas around the state that looked pretty scary! Hopefully the 4x4 blocking will be the only thing requiring some chopping out. Thanks for the heads-up on lack of banking snow. I'll have to bring some from the sides of my driveway, next trip up. wink. Now I know why I didn't throw away that ancient carpet in the basement.

Is there enough trash out in the more popular spots to warrant a "clean-up" GTG?? I'm hoping Waska is less "trashed" (or not at all) than other lakes I've been reading about, but am willing, and almost looking forward to a day or two of keeping Waska beautiful.

Goose

My houses are up on blocks and you can see right under it...but only wet around them...not standing water or flooding. I would guess if someone had a house with snow banks all the way around that would "trap" water...that might create some flooding.

Snow is frozen up now...can walk right over the top of it. Really a saviour that it is getting this cold again to freeze things up.

I have not seen any trash around my houses. That does not say that there isn't any. If anyone is coming out this weekend...give a hand and just grab what you see. I will also mention it in the store. Good idea.

My son dropped his DS down the hole a few weeks back so we are still trying to "scoop" it up...no luck so far. Anyone got something or idea of how to get that thing? Magnet will not work...made in China.

Fish On!

What's a DS??

A nintendo portable video game that costs about $120.

Take two 10' sections of 1 inch PVC pipe.

Tape or attach a small minnow dip net on the business end and scoop it up.

That DS is toast. They do not like water at all.

Skeets

We attempted the net on the end of two poles technique yesterday without success. We need to drill some more holes to be able to get an "angle" to scoop it up. We are in 18 ft. of water of course.

It was off when it went down...so I am hoping that I can take it appart and put it all in a bag of rice to dry it out for a couple of weeks. I did that with my cell phone that went through the wash...and it worked! The only problem was the "3" button...had to push it a little harder to get it to work.

Fish On!

Skeets

We attempted the net on the end of two poles technique yesterday without success. We need to drill some more holes to be able to get an "angle" to scoop it up. We are in 18 ft. of water of course.

It was off when it went down...so I am hoping that I can take it appart and put it all in a bag of rice to dry it out for a couple of weeks.

Good Luck! smile

Last Saturday, my buddy was playing with his wedding ring and then started talking with his hands, it flew off and hit the wall and bounced off landing less than 2 inches from the hole. I've never seen him move that fast in my life. We had a good laugh about it, but 2 more inches we wouldn't have been laughing. At least he wouldn't have been. Good luck landdr. If you get it out take it apart and put a hair dryer to it. Worked on a cell phone that went through the wash anyways.

My cell ph got wet , (soaked) and I was told to put it in a ziplock bag with white rice. I did this and 2 days later the phone worked just fine!!

Hey Landdr.. I am looking to go up there the 21st. do you rent houses? just looking for some advice on a day trip from 6am to 9 pm or so... thanks in advance

Any updates on the fishing....heading that way this afternoon and evening and was wondering how the bite is.....planning on targeting sunnies during the daytime and try for some crappies at sundown....how is the travel on the lake at this point??

I'll be out there in a 03 red silverado.....give a shout if your in the area...

i am going to be out there sat spearing with my granddaughter. brown truck brown topper stop by. have FM decals on my topper window on the back.

Funny. Run is usually anything that hits the floor in a fish house goes down the hole! I try to think of the excuse or how I would have explained that one...but I can't come up with anything. Major tail between the legs!

Hair dryer! He must have been really careful as heat is a big no no which electical stuff. I prefer to "air dry" and usine rice or even newspaper really sucks the moisture up. Ever put newspaper in wet boats? Perfectly dry in a few hours...or close enough anyway.

Will try again this weekend to snag it up. Otherwise I will GPS it and try in the spring. I know it won't probably work...but this has turned into a mission!

Fish On!

Hey landdr, heading up there sat. am where about should i go to access the lake for sunnies---was up acouple of weeks ago (don't no the lake at all just learning)and accessed through what it looked like private land but there was a large trail that headed out threw weeds with a couple group of houses out there. Should a guy go farther north? Only seen northerns-small perch just wondering what access would be best to go to trying to find some sunnies any help would be greatly app. thanks for any info in advance

Sounds like you either went through Sack's Landing (off Co. Rd 54) or Sheriff's Landing (Hwy 28/29). Both have signs up that it is private property...but you can use both. Sack's has a donation box and Sheriff's is free. Either one will take you out to Bottle Bay at this point since you can drive around more now.

Northern and perch...might be that you were out too far if you are finding that many perch. Try to find that weed line running east and west where the sunfish are.

Guy came in with some crappies from Crappie Town this week as well. I am interested to see if the crappies are finally moving in there if anyone wants to try that. There are usually sunfish there as well. Even just drill some holes and put a camera down to take a look.

I have heard the pike are going crazy out there. Something about "they have their teeth back". Is there any truth in that? Sounds like some nice sized ones being caught as well.

Fish On!

thanks i think it was sherrifs landing then didn't see a donation box. are you located on 29 as you enter glenwood?(coming from benson) just a couple of blocks before the stop lights? I will stop and get my bait from you if i find ya. what is the name of your store or if you can't post send me a e-mail at [email protected] i get my boys this weekend and would like to get them on something even if there little just so we can catch a few

I would like to scout that area out from Sheriff's Landing more...just not enough time in the day. Some really nice contours and weed lines as well. Spotchecker checked it out one day and found a few sunnies. Looks like a good area though. However, if you get one way or another...you can get into the perch and pike fast. The gradual weed line out from Sack's seems to hold more sunfish.

Should be a great weekend on the lake and with it easier to get around...more spots can be checked!

Fish On!

Similar reports as what Scaup posted...EXCEPT...one guy just in said he broke through the "new" ice on an "old" road with water "under" it on "top" of the "old" ice...follow that? Probably best to steer off the landings and just drive on the ice rather than the old roads just to avoid breaking through like that. I guess he got pretty caught up.

Otherwise...the lake is wide open. People in have said they can drive just about anywhere right now. Might be the best conditions we have had all year except for not having much snow to bank your house.

Fella just in said he had the best sunfish bite of his life yesterday from aroun 3pm to 4:30pm. He was using the word "slabs" and "catching them on bare hooks". I know him and he doesn't have a drinking problem so I think he was telling the truth. smile He was pretty excited, had his son along, got some more red wigglers, a couple of hooks...and out the door he went.

Fun to see people excited like that! And even better to see them getting kids out to fish.

Current temp is 5.5F with clear sunny skies with smoke from the chimneys going straight up...just another day in paradise!

Hamrej23...you will have to give me a call.

Fish On!

landrr, is ur house rented 4 tomorrow? I have a couple of guys coming up and we only have a 1 man protable between us.. just lookin to kill a few hrs , not the whole day

You will have to do an internet search for "bait shops in Glenwood MN" for contact information. Posting that information is a violation of the terms of this web site...sorry.

Bassmasher...you will have to give me a call as well.

Back to reports...

I can almost say with assurance that everyone in today that was out yesterday reported an excellent bite..."non-stop" was the term and "good sized". People seem to be spreading out more as well with the easier travel on the lake. I have had several in reporting really nice gills out in 18 and 19 feet of water in large schools.

Anyone want to cover the store...I WANT TO GO FISHING. smile

Qualifications...you need to be able to count to 24. smile

Fish On!

The bite over the weekend was really good. Still best in the morning (many had their limit by 8 am) and evening. Most were reporting a slower bite through the day but still catching fishing...but when 3 or 4 came along, it was sunfish everywhere! All you want to catch and most in the 7 to 8 ounce range that were being kept.

I could not take it any longer and closed the store early to head out to one of our houses. It was a steady bite from 4 to 6 with about a fish every two minutes. I had some that easily are over a half pound as well. A lot of fun!

I got the kids out last night as well to sleep over. Our first rattle reel went off at 6 pm. Let it go and it snapped the line. Over the course of the evening we missed about a dozen bites, put two 16 inchers in the pail next to the sunnies, released a 25+ incher (which also looked like it had a sunny for supper) and also released a 29 inch pike. Great night on the lake!

Fish On!

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions