• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Was out for a while yesterday caught some bass, but couldn't get any sunfish. I didn't get too adventurous though as it was kind of hard to tell how deep the snow was in front of me. I was reeling in a bass on my shiner rig and my sunfish rod came off the bucket and down the hole. I couldn't find it with the camera, must have been a 10 lb walleye, haha.

I guess what I'd like to know what everyone's idea of a healthy lake is...

Personally I'm a lot more interested in having that opportunity to catch trophies.

Me too on both...We'll always be able to go out there and "skim off the top" of the fishery, and feel it's pretty decent fishing...Waska could could have that all day long AND a bonus trophies (pike, sunnies & crappies) along with strong walleye and bass to boot. Possible? For sure with it's fertility and food. Pipe dream??? Probably..but, a guys gotta have a dream....a pike slot would be a small step in the right direction.

Few realize it (and I hate it when people compare almost any lake to Mille Lacs, esp. 'waska), but the first regs to go on Mille Lacs, way before the boom years of late 90's early 2000's, and way before the Major musky stocking, they put a a slot (fairly restrictive) on Pike. They built up the population / size of the "Apex Predators"...and then worked on the walleyes and muskies... the regeneration / trophy fishery was very much due to the initial management of the Northern Pike.

I'm not saying they are THE answer, but it's better than ambiguous harvest practices that attmept to make sure we don't let the panfish get so populous as to have them eat all the bugs.

Understand first, and then try Selective Harvest. It'll catch on if it's more clearly understood and mentioned / talked about clearly and objectively. (IE-not confusing and ambiguous) Then, let the apex predators balance out the overages. Let's break out the pickling recipes, thin the middle-of-the-road heard of pike a bit, and think about letting the "pretty nice sized ones" back so they can get to the 30+"s we saw pics of a few pages back....that could be common place.

My frustration towards my perceived lack of knowledge , lack of desire to learn and refusal to acknowledge and promote these principles and the fact that these "dreams" are easily possible......I guess it's called ax-grinding around here. Maybe I'll wake up some day and go with the herd, but that's a pipe dream too. Good luck.

It’s been a long time since I’ve checked out this forum. I usually check the ice and snow conditions before I make the 2hr drive to make sure I can get to THE spots. All I can say is that it’s disappointing to see people criticizing others posts. Call it what you want but the tone of the conversation is negative. Do us all a favor and send PM’s. We don’t care to hear to hear who has the biggest “fish”.

I would expect if a slot on northerns were imposed it would also constitute a ban on spearing as well

I don't think you have to worry about that IF happening,bturck. At least a few years ago there was no support for any of three proposals for regs on waska. I'm not for or against spearing....it's a strong tradition and means alot to many. I've done it...it's fun a adds a hunting feel to fishing, but I'd sacrifice it for consistent picture taking sized fish. I'm sure that's a minority opinion though. I do know guys that are pretty selective on there spearing though. Can't know exact measurement before deciding yes or no, but the obvious 30+ / bigger pike are "released". I don't think you've got any worries, but, lake with pike regs, I believe, are closed to spearing.

Do us all a favor and send PM’s.

We've shared plenty of PM's in the past, some pretty good ones too, in fact. We've been having, basically, the same conversation on the thread for years. It sometimes "heats" up around this time of year....maybe it's something about not being in a boat for a couple months... I don't know.

I do "call out" some messages on here. I'm pretty sensitive to 'waska and it's fishery. Guilty as charged. Probably care too much, and maybe needlessly. I'd just like to CLEARLY understand those putting out most of the info. I get confused and frustrated at some of the underlying messages. Our moderators reports are responsible, backed up with proof, not heresay and are 100% crystal clear and consistent.

If your disappointed reading this and are after reports only, why not just skip over my posts, or simply give Fish On Bait & Tackle a call? You also could have PM'd me / Landrr / wetaline with your feelings as well.

Was out riden today and the wife bent up her sled on one of the many ice blocks now covered in snow on waska. I've got no problem with you spear guys but I'd shure appreciate it if you could chop your blocks.

Saw one of those coming off the lake last Saturday and was really praying I wouldn't hit it leaving the lake on Sunday in the snowstorm. Is that even legal letting them things lay on the ice?

Saw a skid steer on the lake this morning. Now there are loads of gravel heading east from Starbuck on the plowed trail. Any idea what they are up to?

Still going strong, must be dumping sand on the ice to make a nicer swimming area.

If you're concerned, call the local DNR, make sure they have a permit.

wondering if anyone has a recent report. Been monitoring board for years and thought I would sign up and chime in. Gunna fish Waska and wondering what depth the gills have been caught at recently???

I was out on sat morning in about 15 feet. Had a lot of crappies and sunfish on the camera but couldn't get any to bite. Went to Mary in the afternoon and got some crappies. I don't know if its possible to drive on the lakes after yesterday's wind and another 7 inches of snow coming on Thursday.

Went out to a “non-oxygenated” spot on the lake today (didn’t follow anyone’s tire tracks). Absolutely pounded the 9 – 9.5 inch gills after cutting 30 – 40 holes. They are there if you are willing to go where no man has gone before.

sounds like its gonna be fun getting to my permi wont be the first time ripping around on waska with the wheel house behind me.

Hoping to head up to Waska this weekend for bluegill and crappies, any current reports on snow depth, plowed roads, or fishing reports? Are fish still in non-agressive mode?

Last year we had a great day on Waska and even better time at Lakeside for a tasty burger,

cold beer and gopher hockey, Fish On!

Well I had my house in front of dnr all year and did bomb out there if it slowed down I went outside and punched holes and fished on the ice. Didnt fish waska last weekend but I pulled my house out and got stuck a couple times before I even got hooked up. Once you break thru the crust your screwed. I have aggressive tires on but the crusted snow is impossible its was fun getting the house off but got her off. Ive been fishing small lakes around that area and been doing good.

Roads off Lakeside Ballroom and DNR are plowed and head out in several directions. I spent some time out by Crappie Town last weekend with the rentals and travel was not an issue. Several houses came in for the weekend and could easily find a spot to set up. I would agree with Clayton that if you venture off you might have some issues with snow.

Bite picked up some but still tough. Plenty of fish coming in on the cameras...just very picky. Crappie bite was good after dark for many but most said the same thing that they had to leave it really still or even have a half dead minnow as the crappies didn't want to chase. Nice size to the crappies though.

Fish On!

i have been driving 4wd truck off the plowed roads as long as you stay away from where houses have been set or where there were hoels cut you are in pretty good shape - wont get in too much trouble This is where the active fish are anyway - stay away from others = larger more active fish

Any reports on the conditions of the accesses? Ballroom/DNR? How's the bite been?

Rob has a nice road plowed out from Hunts resort - Pay the two bucks. Two wheel track out of DNR landing - it goes to Rob's road. It looked like a truck went out of Sac's landing. Not alot of vehicle traffic out there. Have not checked Lakeside Fishing is about the same if we get some rain it should firm things up real nice

Pulled the wheel house out for the night last Saturday night. Drove on from the resort. Access was in pretty good shape. Barely made it through the ice without an extension on the auger. 3 guys caught 20 crappies from approx. 4pm to 7am. Must have been the tasty minnows we got from the land dr. Fish were in approx. 15fow. Great night of fishin. Can't wait to go again!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I drove out from sacs today with the wheelhouse only got stuck once. Had my dad and brother behind me new it was gonna happen. My brother got stuck once also. The drifts out there can suck but its doable just watch were your going and should be able to drive anywere. We absolutely hammered sunfish I ended up getting surrounded by the end of the day I had a suburban seriously backed up to the permi it was pretty dissapointing they had couple kids with so I didnt say anything but you shouldn't teach your kids to fish 10 ft away from another fish house. All in all was a blast ended up keeping some about 30 sunnies, the 4 year old daughter caught a couple fish she loved it Ill post a couple pics tungstens and waxies were the ticket today. Black and pink and green an yellow. Oh yeah I almost forgot I bent the axle on my wheelhouse plowing thru drifts so be careful, was the last time for the year as we had bunch of family with us good last day for it not. full-29588-31340-575667_1015142683831414

Awesome!! I will probably walk out this week as I have a crossover without 4wd.. what depth did you target? This time of yr last yr I found some BIG perch in about 8 ft of water by accident lol

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Well done looks like a great day for all!

I drove out from sacs today with the wheelhouse only got stuck once. Had my dad and brother behind me new it was gonna happen. My brother got stuck once also. The drifts out there can suck but its doable just watch were your going and should be able to drive anywere. We absolutely hammered sunfish I ended up getting surrounded by the end of the day I had a suburban seriously backed up to the permi it was pretty dissapointing they had couple kids with so I didnt say anything but you shouldn't teach your kids to fish 10 ft away from another fish house. All in all was a blast ended up keeping some about 30 sunnies, the 4 year old daughter caught a couple fish she loved it Ill post a couple pics tungstens and waxies were the ticket today. Black and pink and green an yellow. Oh yeah I almost forgot I bent the axle on my wheelhouse plowing thru drifts so be careful, was the last time for the year as we had bunch of family with us good last day for it not. full-29588-31340-575667_1015142683831414

What side of the lake is the Sacs access??? Was hoping to make it up with my wheelhouse last weekend but was told all the accesses were closed because of ice heaves.... Always good to have another pickup with to give a pull in case you get stuck.

Sucks that people moved in on you so close!!! I would have at least said something to the guy before I left so that next time he'd think twice.

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions