• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Most reports are 11 to 12 inches of ice now. Had one fella in yesterday that said he thought it was 8 or 9 inches over by Barnes Point at the Startbuck end. I think there is 11 to 12 inches under my houses on the Glenwood end.

Many small cars and trucks as well as a few 1/2 tons and Suburbans. I would expect to see more this weekend. Many 16 ft. houses out there now.

Looked like there was around 3 or 4 inches of really fluffy snow on my car this morning but the yards looks like 5 to 7 inches. This is very fluffy snow again so now much weight to it. Nice to have a little something to bank the fish house with.

Walleye reports have really picked up and from several different locations. Getting more crappie reports as well as sunfish. Lots of pike...a lot in the 2 to 3 lb. year class.

Fish On!

Landdr,

Thanks for the update as I will be making my way to Waska today.....Any good tips on where to go as I usually don't fish Waska at all and would like to fish it heavy this year if I can.

Look back at some of the other posts which have some good information on locations as well.

Depends on what you are fishing for. If you want an all around spot for panfish, pike and maybe some eyes, then Crappie Town and adjacent weedlines as well as Bottle Bay are good areas to go. Both of these are BIG areas so I would recommend drilling some holes and dropping a camera down if you have one to first locate the fish...it would be well worth your time. Walleyes...I am getting reports from in shallows (9 to 10 ft.) to along the weed lines to out on the flats. Walleye activity seems to really have picked up. Waska is a lake where you never know what is going to come up the hole...but usually no problem catching fish.

Fish On!

Out from Sherrifs landing last night. 1/2 ton pickup with an ice castle. No problems. Ice 11.5 inches thick measured. One perch, one small northern. 13.5 feet of water. To shallow?

How is the water clarity this year? I havent been up to spear yet but will be over Xmas weekend. Can you see down pretty good like last year?

13.5 might be a little shallow yet...panfish might move in as food sources get eaten up. I am seeing most panfish at 15 to 16 feet...but that is just where I have been looking. I think it is really important to drill holes and scout first before you start fishing or even put your house down. I have seen spots where 30 yds is the difference in a lot of fish and no fish.

Water is still cloudy. Might have been the late rains we had or the high winds before ice over...or both. There is still a good amount of zooplankton zippin around. A lot of pike in the lake but you might have to go a little shallower to start with for spearing.

Fish On!

The last 3 weeks has been good, but it has slowed. From deep to shallow, the "old pro's" are now moving around the lake and some are already leaving the lake for the year. One thing hasn't changed since I was a kid- Power augers and pickups slow the Walleye bite down on this lake. It was a good season, "Over and Out".

Glenwood recieved more snow than Alex. FishOn will chime in on the snow conditions on the lake.

Sniffer

I would say we got 5 to 7 inches of fluffy snow. A little tougher getting around with my small Ford Escape but with a little speed I scoot around anywhere. 2 wheel drive might have a tougher time off the roads but there are plenty of roads and trails to get around. I would say the lake is still in great shape.

Walleye bite has really piked up over the last 4 or 5 days. Getting good reports from The Beach, Lakeside and Crappie Town on good numbers of fish and really nice sizes. Had a fella bring in a fish that was well over 30 inches...he was trying to find a certified scale so I sent him to the meat locker. Two days prior to that I had a fella bring in a 28.5 inch eye. I would like to have seen that one go back in the lake. Small shiners are working the best for me and the same from some others I have spoken to.

Got into some really nice gills yesterday and a few crappies. I only had an hour to fish...really would have like to have been out there a little earlier and stay a little later...but family obligations. Got dad out there this morning giving it a try in the new spot so will have to see how he does. When I put the camera down, there were sunnies everywhere along with a few crappies. As mentioned before, target areas just off the weedlines...drill holes and put the camera down until you find them. Shouldn't take long to find some fish.

Good night for a fish fry!

Fish On!

just wondering are full size trucks driving out yet thinking of trying today but unsure and its a long walk out without a wheeler or snowmobile thanks

Nice day on Waska yesterday. Got out for a couple hours just before sunset and we kept 37 nice gills ranging from 7 to 9 inches along with a half dozen crappies. The bite was pretty good and steady action. Kids had a blast and looking forward to the fish fry. We were in 16.5 fow and most people coming had great luck in 16 to 17 as well.

Fish On!

Landdr: My two son in laws are headed to Minnewaska on Wed morning. They have never fished the lake before. I told them to check in with you for up to date info and bait. What time do you open during the week? I told them that you are the person to talk to for local info... smile

Many years ago my uncle lived in Glenwood and as a teenager I spent many hours on the lake and caught lots of nice eyes. I've got them pumped up. They are more than happy with a good panfish bite, of course an eye would be a nice bonus. Thanks, Bill

Got out for the afternoon yesterday with my oldest son...I did some hole jumping to scout for awhile while he fished. We ended up with around 20 nice sunnies and a dozen crappies. Crappies were a little bigger this time and started coming in around 5:30 or so and were still coming in at 8:30 when we left. They were coming in right on the bottom...had to work them to get one to come up...if you could get one to chase then you usually got'em. But more often they would not chase or just chase a little bit. Fun playing the cat-mouse game but after awhile they were getting the best of me. Spring bobber was a must. I was holding the line with my hand a few times and it was such a soft bite...but really fun to pull up some slabs. Good reports again from others on panfish...16 to 17 fow. My son managed up one 15 inch walleye for the evening as well. I got one snapped line and one I pulled off the lips. Pretty consistent reports of 2 to 4 walleyes from others as well with the occassional limit being caught. Most say they have plenty of fish coming in and several misses...that's fishing! smile

Fish On!

bturck...around 8am during the week...earlier on weekends. Sunfish often don't start biting better until 10am...but definately some nice sunnies can be caught just with sun-up. I have a map on the counter to show accesses and areas to check out and a printed out map they can take with them. The bite is pretty good so they should have fun. A lot of pike to keep them busy as well and I would not be surprised if they get a walleye or two in the mix.

Getting around is still pretty easy...I will give some reports after this snow to see how much we get and if any issues arise. So far so good though.

Fish On!

Ya...he outfished me and I was still hearing about it at breakfest this morning! Last night he brought his pail over by my pail and then started laughing. I had one sunny and 5 crappies...he had close to 20 sunnies and 6 crappies...and a walleye. 8 yrs old and it's already starting! smile

Been there and done that. I usually say something like" I taught you every thing you know, glad its working" LOOOL and it takes a good guide to put you on fish. Sounds like you've got one young son hooked on a great sport.... laugh

Thanks for the report landdr. A friend and I want to come up on Tue. with an Ice Castle and stay over night. If you could post a report Tue. morning as to the conditions of how much snow you get tonight, that would be great. We would like to go after some walleyes. Are you going to be at the bait shop tommorrow at all? Thanks again for all your reports, sounds like you're having fun.

I should be in and I will give some reports tomorrow morning. Not sure if it will be done snowing by then. It's coming down pretty good now...looks like a picture out on the lake with the snow coming down and the fish houses in the background. Looks like a great day to be sitting in the house working some gills! smile

Fish On!

Landdr, Thanks alot for the info and pointing my brother and I in the right direction. We had a good time and caught some nice fish. Could have done a little better if we had worked at it but my brother and I do not get to hang out very often so we ended up shooting the shnit more than fishing!!! Thanks again and hope you and the family have a happy holiday!!!! grin

LipRipper...family reunion on the lake...excellent! Glad you had a good time and got a meal out of it.

Waleye Huter...no certain color that I am aware of. I have been going small (#14) with two larvae. I hope to have shrimp in this week...can't wait to try that again on the sunnies and crappie. I like pink/white but anything glow seems to be good too. I think just staying small is the best. Walleyes...I have cought them on a plain red hook to glow jigs to glow gemin-eyes. I think the small shinners has been the ticket for me. Walleyes are VERY fat so they are eating good!

Fish On!

Waleye...Angel Eyes are popular along with many other jigging spoons. I personally am not really good at jigging...during the summer or winter. smile

Give it a try...that's fishing! smile

I have a lot of Norweigan in me...pretty simple and pretty basic and I don't change lures much. Versus my 8yr old son...he riffles thru the tackle box and tries everything and then some. One day he put on a daredevil and wove on a mister twister tail on the end of it...I laughed. He had the last laugh when he started hauling in pike one after another.

With that said, I have heard several guys getting eyes on Buck Shot Rattlers. Just gotta give it a try and see what happens.

Fish On!

Hello all. Just wondering how much snow you recieved out that way today. A friend and I were thinking of heading there tomorrow but unsure with this snow, can anyone give an update on the conditions out there? Do you think I would still be able to drive on without a 4 wheel drive? Also, how do you think this front going through will affect the bite? We were planning on targeting panfish during the day and possible walleye later on. Any info is appreciated, thanks and good luck out there!

Looks like 3 or 4 inches of new snow with some wet stuff on top that gave a slight crust. Not too bad and I don't think it is going to affect much...access should still be fine and should be able to get around just about any where you want to go.

Front...maybe...but the panfish are pretty steady on Waska. If you don't find some aggressive fish in one spot...move to other spots and you should be able to find them. I would target the 16 to 17 fow areas. Crappie bite in the evening has been getting better and better sizes as well.

Fish On!

Well we spent most of the day out there, thanks Landdr for the info this morning. We had no trouble driving on or off the lake, not too much snow just some heavier drifts to watch out for. Roads and ice were good. fished mostly in about 17 fow. Action was spotty throughout the day, pretty light bite as we moved around a few spots. From about 3:30 to 4:30 it was fast and furious. We ended up keeping a nice meal for supper tonight and overall had a great time out there!

• The title was changed to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions