• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Most reports are 11 to 12 inches of ice now. Had one fella in yesterday that said he thought it was 8 or 9 inches over by Barnes Point at the Startbuck end. I think there is 11 to 12 inches under my houses on the Glenwood end.

Many small cars and trucks as well as a few 1/2 tons and Suburbans. I would expect to see more this weekend. Many 16 ft. houses out there now.

Looked like there was around 3 or 4 inches of really fluffy snow on my car this morning but the yards looks like 5 to 7 inches. This is very fluffy snow again so now much weight to it. Nice to have a little something to bank the fish house with.

Walleye reports have really picked up and from several different locations. Getting more crappie reports as well as sunfish. Lots of pike...a lot in the 2 to 3 lb. year class.

Fish On!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LandDr

• goose89

• basssmasher*

• carpshooterdeluxe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hit Minnewaska last week and what a week it was. First morning out, limit of eyes, gills and crappie. Talk about largemouth, must have boated a dozen from 3-5.5 punds, never caught bass like this be

called my cuz yesturday and they put the permanent out saturday not too far from Glenwood on favorite spot.  zippo on the action but hopefully it will go after this snap. welcome to FM JD ! 

Curious on this also heading up there Sat on a gill hunt hopefully wont have to swiss cheese the lake to bad  Guessing there's some truck traffic but would like a little more info if possible.

Posted Images

Landdr,

Thanks for the update as I will be making my way to Waska today.....Any good tips on where to go as I usually don't fish Waska at all and would like to fish it heavy this year if I can.

Look back at some of the other posts which have some good information on locations as well.

Depends on what you are fishing for. If you want an all around spot for panfish, pike and maybe some eyes, then Crappie Town and adjacent weedlines as well as Bottle Bay are good areas to go. Both of these are BIG areas so I would recommend drilling some holes and dropping a camera down if you have one to first locate the fish...it would be well worth your time. Walleyes...I am getting reports from in shallows (9 to 10 ft.) to along the weed lines to out on the flats. Walleye activity seems to really have picked up. Waska is a lake where you never know what is going to come up the hole...but usually no problem catching fish.

Fish On!

Out from Sherrifs landing last night. 1/2 ton pickup with an ice castle. No problems. Ice 11.5 inches thick measured. One perch, one small northern. 13.5 feet of water. To shallow?

terrible_fisherman

How is the water clarity this year? I havent been up to spear yet but will be over Xmas weekend. Can you see down pretty good like last year?

13.5 might be a little shallow yet...panfish might move in as food sources get eaten up. I am seeing most panfish at 15 to 16 feet...but that is just where I have been looking. I think it is really important to drill holes and scout first before you start fishing or even put your house down. I have seen spots where 30 yds is the difference in a lot of fish and no fish.

Water is still cloudy. Might have been the late rains we had or the high winds before ice over...or both. There is still a good amount of zooplankton zippin around. A lot of pike in the lake but you might have to go a little shallower to start with for spearing.

Fish On!

The last 3 weeks has been good, but it has slowed. From deep to shallow, the "old pro's" are now moving around the lake and some are already leaving the lake for the year. One thing hasn't changed since I was a kid- Power augers and pickups slow the Walleye bite down on this lake. It was a good season, "Over and Out".

Chad Peterson

Glenwood recieved more snow than Alex. FishOn will chime in on the snow conditions on the lake.

Sniffer

I would say we got 5 to 7 inches of fluffy snow. A little tougher getting around with my small Ford Escape but with a little speed I scoot around anywhere. 2 wheel drive might have a tougher time off the roads but there are plenty of roads and trails to get around. I would say the lake is still in great shape.

Walleye bite has really piked up over the last 4 or 5 days. Getting good reports from The Beach, Lakeside and Crappie Town on good numbers of fish and really nice sizes. Had a fella bring in a fish that was well over 30 inches...he was trying to find a certified scale so I sent him to the meat locker. Two days prior to that I had a fella bring in a 28.5 inch eye. I would like to have seen that one go back in the lake. Small shiners are working the best for me and the same from some others I have spoken to.

Got into some really nice gills yesterday and a few crappies. I only had an hour to fish...really would have like to have been out there a little earlier and stay a little later...but family obligations. Got dad out there this morning giving it a try in the new spot so will have to see how he does. When I put the camera down, there were sunnies everywhere along with a few crappies. As mentioned before, target areas just off the weedlines...drill holes and put the camera down until you find them. Shouldn't take long to find some fish.

Good night for a fish fry!

Fish On!

just wondering are full size trucks driving out yet thinking of trying today but unsure and its a long walk out without a wheeler or snowmobile thanks

Nice day on Waska yesterday. Got out for a couple hours just before sunset and we kept 37 nice gills ranging from 7 to 9 inches along with a half dozen crappies. The bite was pretty good and steady action. Kids had a blast and looking forward to the fish fry. We were in 16.5 fow and most people coming had great luck in 16 to 17 as well.

Fish On!

Landdr: My two son in laws are headed to Minnewaska on Wed morning. They have never fished the lake before. I told them to check in with you for up to date info and bait. What time do you open during the week? I told them that you are the person to talk to for local info... smile

Many years ago my uncle lived in Glenwood and as a teenager I spent many hours on the lake and caught lots of nice eyes. I've got them pumped up. They are more than happy with a good panfish bite, of course an eye would be a nice bonus. Thanks, Bill

Got out for the afternoon yesterday with my oldest son...I did some hole jumping to scout for awhile while he fished. We ended up with around 20 nice sunnies and a dozen crappies. Crappies were a little bigger this time and started coming in around 5:30 or so and were still coming in at 8:30 when we left. They were coming in right on the bottom...had to work them to get one to come up...if you could get one to chase then you usually got'em. But more often they would not chase or just chase a little bit. Fun playing the cat-mouse game but after awhile they were getting the best of me. Spring bobber was a must. I was holding the line with my hand a few times and it was such a soft bite...but really fun to pull up some slabs. Good reports again from others on panfish...16 to 17 fow. My son managed up one 15 inch walleye for the evening as well. I got one snapped line and one I pulled off the lips. Pretty consistent reports of 2 to 4 walleyes from others as well with the occassional limit being caught. Most say they have plenty of fish coming in and several misses...that's fishing! smile

Fish On!

bturck...around 8am during the week...earlier on weekends. Sunfish often don't start biting better until 10am...but definately some nice sunnies can be caught just with sun-up. I have a map on the counter to show accesses and areas to check out and a printed out map they can take with them. The bite is pretty good so they should have fun. A lot of pike to keep them busy as well and I would not be surprised if they get a walleye or two in the mix.

Getting around is still pretty easy...I will give some reports after this snow to see how much we get and if any issues arise. So far so good though.

Fish On!

Landdr: Thanks for the info I will pass it along to them. Sounds like a good trip yesterday with your son....bill

Ya...he outfished me and I was still hearing about it at breakfest this morning! Last night he brought his pail over by my pail and then started laughing. I had one sunny and 5 crappies...he had close to 20 sunnies and 6 crappies...and a walleye. 8 yrs old and it's already starting! smile

Been there and done that. I usually say something like" I taught you every thing you know, glad its working" LOOOL and it takes a good guide to put you on fish. Sounds like you've got one young son hooked on a great sport.... laugh

Thanks for the report landdr. A friend and I want to come up on Tue. with an Ice Castle and stay over night. If you could post a report Tue. morning as to the conditions of how much snow you get tonight, that would be great. We would like to go after some walleyes. Are you going to be at the bait shop tommorrow at all? Thanks again for all your reports, sounds like you're having fun.

I should be in and I will give some reports tomorrow morning. Not sure if it will be done snowing by then. It's coming down pretty good now...looks like a picture out on the lake with the snow coming down and the fish houses in the background. Looks like a great day to be sitting in the house working some gills! smile

Fish On!

LipRipper!!

Landdr, Thanks alot for the info and pointing my brother and I in the right direction. We had a good time and caught some nice fish. Could have done a little better if we had worked at it but my brother and I do not get to hang out very often so we ended up shooting the shnit more than fishing!!! Thanks again and hope you and the family have a happy holiday!!!! grin

LipRipper...family reunion on the lake...excellent! Glad you had a good time and got a meal out of it.

Waleye Huter...no certain color that I am aware of. I have been going small (#14) with two larvae. I hope to have shrimp in this week...can't wait to try that again on the sunnies and crappie. I like pink/white but anything glow seems to be good too. I think just staying small is the best. Walleyes...I have cought them on a plain red hook to glow jigs to glow gemin-eyes. I think the small shinners has been the ticket for me. Walleyes are VERY fat so they are eating good!

Fish On!

Waleye...Angel Eyes are popular along with many other jigging spoons. I personally am not really good at jigging...during the summer or winter. smile

Give it a try...that's fishing! smile

I have a lot of Norweigan in me...pretty simple and pretty basic and I don't change lures much. Versus my 8yr old son...he riffles thru the tackle box and tries everything and then some. One day he put on a daredevil and wove on a mister twister tail on the end of it...I laughed. He had the last laugh when he started hauling in pike one after another.

With that said, I have heard several guys getting eyes on Buck Shot Rattlers. Just gotta give it a try and see what happens.

Fish On!

Hello all. Just wondering how much snow you recieved out that way today. A friend and I were thinking of heading there tomorrow but unsure with this snow, can anyone give an update on the conditions out there? Do you think I would still be able to drive on without a 4 wheel drive? Also, how do you think this front going through will affect the bite? We were planning on targeting panfish during the day and possible walleye later on. Any info is appreciated, thanks and good luck out there!

Looks like 3 or 4 inches of new snow with some wet stuff on top that gave a slight crust. Not too bad and I don't think it is going to affect much...access should still be fine and should be able to get around just about any where you want to go.

Front...maybe...but the panfish are pretty steady on Waska. If you don't find some aggressive fish in one spot...move to other spots and you should be able to find them. I would target the 16 to 17 fow areas. Crappie bite in the evening has been getting better and better sizes as well.

Fish On!

Well we spent most of the day out there, thanks Landdr for the info this morning. We had no trouble driving on or off the lake, not too much snow just some heavier drifts to watch out for. Roads and ice were good. fished mostly in about 17 fow. Action was spotty throughout the day, pretty light bite as we moved around a few spots. From about 3:30 to 4:30 it was fast and furious. We ended up keeping a nice meal for supper tonight and overall had a great time out there!

• Rick changed the title to Lake Minnewaska Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Strong summer walleye patterns continue, which is a good thing for catching LOW walleyes. The two primary techniques are drifting or trolling spinners with live bait and trolling crankbaits.
      Schools of walleyes obviously move around based on forage, wind, current and a variety of other factors.  This past week, a couple of patterns emerged.  First and very consistent, targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud in Big Traverse Bay.  Fish of all sizes being caught.  
      The second pattern was off of Pine Island.  With a south wind, a nice bite set up in 16 - 22 feet.  Other patterns such as walleyes relating to structure are also in play.  
      Hammered gold, pink, yellow, orange and red / white are colors doing well.  It is a good idea to use something different from your fishing partner until the walleyes tell you what they want that day.
      On the Rainy River...   A mixed bag on the Rainy River this week.  Most walleye anglers focus on the lake this time of year but nice pockets of "local" walleyes are in the river year round.  Holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find scattered fish.
      Pike adjacent to weeds and current breaks.  Smallmouth bass in great numbers and they don't get much attention.  
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing up at the Angle this week.  Much like the south end, one area to consider is the deep mud of Little Traverse Bay.  Walleyes are set up over mud in 28 - 33 feet.  Spinners and crankbaits are effective in covering water and catching these fish.  
      There is so much fun structure to fish where pods of walleyes are hanging out.  Underwater points, sunken islands, and neck down areas are just a few also holding walleyes.    
      Pike are usually willing to play and continue to be active in weedy bays.  Spinnerbaits, spoons, crankbaits and bucktails are good choices.  
      Smallmouth bass are relating to deeper rocks.  Some nice muskies caught and released again this week.
      Canada announced driving over the border will be possible August 9th for fully vaccinated Americans who have a negative PCR COVID test less than 72 hours old. Other ways to the Angle...
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service from the south end of the lake.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  We are in the heart of a great summer walleye pattern on LOW. This means good fishing is taking place with two primary methods, pulling spinners with live bait and trolling crankbaits.
      Most anglers are targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud. Lots of big fish being caught.  The scattered reefs are holding fish as well.  Spinners and crawlers have been very effective.  Hammered gold, pink, orange and red / white spinners doing well.
      Trolling crankbaits and covering water over deep mud has also been effective.  Anglers getting cranks deep in a number of ways.  Leadcore line, a 4 ounce bottom bouncer with a 6' leader, snap weights or downriggers are all viable options.
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River is a great option on windy days, small boats, kayaks or for a change of pace.  Fishing the river producing walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon.  
      If targeting walleyes, holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find fish.
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great summer walleye fishing this week.  Fish in various areas including  the mud, structure such as sunken islands and underwater points and rocky areas.
      Most anglers drifting spinners with crawlers or minnows and trolling crankbaits.  
      Pike continue to be active in weedy bays using crankbaits and bucktails.  
      Canada announced driving over the border will be possible August 9th for fully vaccinated Americans who have a negative PCR COVID test less than 72 hours old. Other ways to the Angle...
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service from the south end of the lake.  

• Dash 1
      By Dash 1
      Curious how the depth is in river from Wolf lake to Andrusia and Cass. Is it navigateable.  Was  up there last September and went through there. Kind of scenic and nice slow ride on the mighty Mississippi.  Did get a few fish as well.  Hopefully going there again this year.  Staying at my brother's cabin with his son and my dad near Becida. With dad in his early 80s hoping to keep this 3 year tradition going for a while.
    • PSU
      By PSU
      Heard from an island neighbor (Church Island) next to ours that a bear killed a small dog yesterday around 8:00 pm on an island in Frazer Bay. Also, my other island neighbor to the east (Juniper Island) reported three bears yesterday and one chased after their labrador retriever.  

Watch your pets friends, some of these bears are very aggressive!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A lot of summer walleyes are being caught and fishing has been good.  
      Not all walleyes are targeting the same forage consequently walleyes are being caught shallow to deep.   Many of the shallow fish are eating crayfish or schools of baitfish.  Deep fish feeding on baitfish, mayfly larvae, blood worms, tullibees and the list goes on!
      Most anglers are targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud.  The scattered reefs can always hold fish as well.  Spinners and crawlers have been very effective.  Hammered gold, orange and red / white spinners doing well.
      Trolling crankbaits has also been effective.  This technique puts your lure in front of a lot of fish and will get those "reaction" bites even when fish aren't actively feeding.  Pink UV Firetiger, chrome/blue and shiny golds are good colors to start with. 
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River producing a variety of fish.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are in the mix.    
      If targeting walleyes, holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find fish.
      The river is a great change of pace, is beautiful and doesn't receive a lot of traffic during the summer months.
      The sturgeon "keep" season opened July 1st and is open through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Lots of walleyes being caught.  Some fish over the mud, others hanging around structure and a few in shallow rocks eating crayfish.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows or leeches on the spot on the spot can be effective.  If fish aren't there, move and find them.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers and trolling crankbaits over deep mud areas.  
      Pike are active in weedy bays using crankbaits and bucktails.  
      With the Canada border still closed, there are a few ways to get up to the Angle.  
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages around LOW at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging.  For last minute lodging, try the lodging availability finder at www.fishingminnesota.com/lodging-availability-request/

• CigarGuy
      By CigarGuy
      Have some friends coming up this weekend. They have an 18" glass pleasure boat. Wondering if with the low water, we'll have trouble launching? Anybody use the launch lately?
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Day 3 of using nothing but drop shots, wacky rigs, and jig and craw took me to Wisconsin to see if I could continue my newfound favorite lures. I went to Church Pine Lake, just east of Osceola. Never been here before, so had no clue what to expect. Turns out to be a nice little lake for a small boat such as mine. Lots of potential here, but fishing was tough today. Most fish came on the drop shot on the deep weed edges. 6 bass and 1 little pike. Highlight came at the very end of the day, where I caught a 21 inch bass right in front of the access. Best way to end the day 😁

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Another really good week of summer walleye fishing.  Walleyes are being found in many areas but most are targeting deep mud in 30 - 34' of water.
      A nice mix of eaters, slots and quite a few trophy walleyes over 28 inches caught this week.  Spinners with crawlers / leeches or trolling crankbaits have been the most effective techniques.  
      Good spinner blade colors to start with are hammered gold, red / white, gold / glow, pink, orange or chartreuse.
      Crankbait colors, pink UV firetiger, chrome / blue, firetiger.  It is good to start with different colors / shapes / action of cranks when fishing with other anglers and let the walleyes tell you that day what they want.    
      On the Rainy River...   The river produces a mixed bag of fish during the summer months.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are all available.  
      The sturgeon "keep" season opened July 1st and is open through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Lots of walleyes being caught.  Some fish over the mud, others hanging around structure and a few in shallow rocks eating crayfish.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows or leeches on structure is still effective if fish are present.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers over deep mud areas.  Trolling crankbaits continues to be effective.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are a few ways to get up to the Angle.  

• Marye
      By Marye
      So I'm fairly new to the area my boys love fishing as do I . We have been attempting for the past couple of weeks to find a place we can fish without a boat. In between Brainerd and Little Falls. Also times of day to go. We love fishing I'm a newbie as well so just looking for ideas please and thank you.
    • rumeye
      By rumeye
      Going up to GM 16th through the 21st bringing my 14fter was looking at Ball club and east west twin for walleyes. Anybody fish these before or am I just better off smallie fishing on Two Island or trout in Kimball. I know JB and Moose will have some feedback so what say you ? going up with the wife and 8 yr old grandson they will be kayaking me fishing. Although grandson will probably want to be fishing with me. Appreciate any feedback from you guys thanks.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Muskies
      Hey Mtnman. Thanks…the last two times out my wife took the pictures….still smoke in the area, as you can see in the background. Fire ban is still in place for much of northwestern Ontario. Rainy is about a foot low from normal water levels. Temperature has been in the low 80’s for the most part which about average for early August.
    • Mtnman
      Counting the days, and looking for cooler weather also. As always, your  pictures are excellent !  How is the fire situation, and what is the lake level ? I'm worried BIDEN is going for another lock down, which isn't going to play out well here. Pray for the best, prepare for the worst. Thanks as always for the pictures !!!
    • Muskies
      My wife and I were out on Tuesday from noon to 3pm. Light east south east wind using jig and minnow. We caught over 30 walleyes with quite a few double headers. The biggest was 23” and another 7 in the 18”-21” range. 10 were in the 14”-17” slot range but did not keep any with the rest being 12”-13”. Water temperature was at 73.5 degrees. Air temperature was at 86 degrees.
    • rayguy
      Been awhile since any reports so here goes.  A tough summer this has been. Never saw so many weeds yet there is very little wild rice. Fishing has been tough to say the least.  No real pattern, nor walleyes are not in there usual summer haunts it seems. Been so slow we headed up to Leech last week for a Musky trip.   Non caught but four follows,   one on Pelican reef that was in the mid 40" range.  Then back to Whitefish for a few more hours of no activity.  Even the panfish are slow.  Anybody with any better reports lets here them.  Lord send some rain.
    • monstermoose78
      As you all know I don’t know anything 
    • monstermoose78
      There is no help once the mind goes @Rick G
    • Rick G
      Ah s#!t, the cops found us😂  Pretty sure it's just You, Rick, Jeff and the old fart left on staff yet.  Can you guys help gramps figure out his password issues?
    • rundrave
      this is an issue on HSO side also. I know of multiple users who have reached out to me offline and had same issue and just stopped trying 
    • Wanderer
      That’s a good question.  👍
    • BWpineisland
      I bought an old fashioned tv antenna and mounted it on my deck. I get CBS, NBC and my network. I’m on the north side of Pine

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.