• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Plantagenet Fishing Reports

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jarrid Houston

• Fish Slayer

• fishingfool

• Matt Breuer

It's just like any walleye lake, there are small ones.... medium ones... and some really big ones... wink I've had days where we've caught 50 fish, and 35 of them are under 13". I've also had days where we've only caught 3, and they were all 24-28".

• 3 months later...

Hoping to head out thier tonight anybody have any tips or tricks for this lake have never fished it before going to try to go out of the north access and head to that hump see what happens ill post a report tomorrow.

Well it wasnt the best trip but its a start we set up in 22 FOW and were marking fish but couldnt get them to bite so we moved into 18 FOW and picked up a few perch but again was marking fish and just couldnt get them to take it.

Anybody have any info on latest ice depth? I saw a road was plowed but was it plowed by a 1/2 ton truck?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

i have a real quick and easy question: how do you pronounce plantaganet? becuause there is no "N" between the second A and the G and everybody i hear refers to it as "plan-tan" or "plan-tan-juh-net". I know it's an french word for an english family, so i would think that it should be pronounced "plan' ta zjuh' nay". i'm just splitting hairs here, it's not important, but i would like to know.

Got a cabin around itasca state park. Is this the lake that blue moon saloon is on. Coming up this weekend looking for a good lake around area. Might give this a try, heard you can do decent in front of saloon, is there any truth to this ?? any advice on this lake or lakes around area would be great

i have a real quick and easy question: how do you pronounce plantaganet? becuause there is no "N" between the second A and the G and everybody i hear refers to it as "plan-tan" or "plan-tan-juh-net". I know it's an french word for an english family, so i would think that it should be pronounced "plan' ta zjuh' nay". i'm just splitting hairs here, it's not important, but i would like to know.

Folks up here call it Plantan. The boys at the baitshop will rip on you if you call it Plantaganette. hahaha that keeps things simpler.

• 3 weeks later...

Any recent fishing reports? I am heading up there this weekend hopefully.

How are driving conditions on the lake?

Any info would be appreciated!

After yesterday, you're going to be lucky to drive anywhere on a lake without a road right now.

Thanks for the update. maybe I shoudl consider holding off for a while until ice conditions are a little more favorable.

chris is right. i was there today with a van and another guy behind in a car. after wasting time getting stuck and then unstuck, we retired to bemidji.

don't bother unless you have a pickup, and even then, be careful.

I do have a 4 by 4 pickup, but I will be by myself. Sometimes if/when you stuck with 4 wheel drive it almost impossible to get out. I will wait to decide till Friday. If anyone sees a change with the cooler weather, let me know.

Thanks, the help is appreciated

The plow has been out, and there are a few roads plowed. With a pick-up it's still a little tricky off the road. Be care-full!

Been out the last few weeks, the eyes have been mainly a miss, rarely a hit. Lake has slowed down. I can tell many people have been experiencing the same thing, people moving all over the place. Anyone been doing good out there at all?

wondering if there are updated ice reports for Plan or any smaller area lakes?

I will be coming up Friday to fish assuming ice travel with a 4by 4 truck is an option on some lakes.

18" plus on most lakes. Plan and Bemidji are 20" plus in most places now.

Travel is tough with the drifts, slush pockets, etc... However, it's not impossible. The extreme cold at NOC has been helping a lot.

Matt Breuer put a pic of a nice mess of perch a couple days ago in the Bemidji Fishing Reports thread. Have heard several reports that they are getting in good perch bites in different depths. Nothing I know of for Plantagenet.

Bemidji is doing fine on perch, 30+ ft or shallow also, best for me has been in 10-13 ft, and some are going even shallower! I prefer the shallow bite, as its much faster fishing in general, and there are no problems putting the smaller ones back. Been fishing "big" to kind of self sort the smaller fish and select for those bigger jumbo's. Temp won't be too bad, when fishing shallow we drill a lot of holes in the general area and move often, if not catching or catching is slow for a few minutes we just keep hole hopping.

Taking a buddy out there tomorrow and will be sure to post a report. Expecting to do well, and will try a little walleye action closer to dusk/early evening also.

Thanks thrax.

Is Bemidji a real clear lake? Is site fishing an option?

Also out of curiosity, what length are most of the perch running that your keeping?

thanks and good luck tomorrow!

By this time of winter, and in shallow yeah, its clear. With a shack up and windows closed, its usually easy to see clearly into probably 16ft, sometimes more. I don't put up a shack though until its evening walleye time which can limit the sight aspect, depends on the sun and I have a bad knee, and prefer to stand upright vs getting on the knees and staying that low. Don't keep less than 10in. Good luck yourself and have a good time at least.

• 6 months later...

Fished Irving a few nights ago with no luck. Are there some pike on plantagent or just muskie? i would like to catch some pike so any tips would be awesome. Thanks

I was out there fishing Muskies this past weekend. Caught a 32" Pike so yes there is at least one in there! grin I caught it on a buck in 8 feet of water. Had a one follow from a musky. The water is quite stained, I would suggest bright colors. Good Luck! BTW go to the south access, the north isn't really an access at all. Figured that out the hard way...

• 3 weeks later...

Plantan is chuck full of snake pike, but there are a few decent ones out there as well. We would catch some decent pike while trolling for muskie in the early summer. Feel free to keep some of the smaller pike, size structure won't get any better unless some of the small ones are weeded out.