• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

NEW Rush Report(chisago)

Do you honestly think a 10" minimum would work on Rush. After reading up more on the subject along with knowing the mentality of many fishing the lake, I can tell you flat out, NO. The second a fish hits 10" it will be in the bucket and you will no longer have many renegade bruisers in the lake. People need to take it upon themselves to practice selective harvest. I fished West last night and kept the one and only limit of crappies I will take from the lake this year. They were between 9-10.5". I do not feel bad for taking one limit. The guys that are out there all the time taking limits each time out are the ones decimating the population.

Do I think it would work on Rush? No, not with the amount of fishing pressure that lake gets. I think in order for it to be effective they would have to limit the number of fish a person is allowed to take. I personally think that the local area would be more against a reduction in the limit because less people would use the lake which in turn hurts their business. Look at how many fewer people are fishing Goose now compared to before the reduction in the limit. It would be great to see something done but I think you hit it right on the head, we need to teach selective harvest or else nothing will ever change.

Dan

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FasterThanYou23

• JACOB09

• bassphish2005

• PSourasinth

I also think lowering the limit would help the lake out more then if they were to put a slot on size out there. 21 something thousand views on one lake, that must be some sort of record....

I've never fished the north half of West Rush this winter season, just the southern half of West Rush. Could somebody advise me of the ice conditions on the northern half of the lake? If the ice is somewhat safe enough, what is safest route to the north end to fish for pannies? Looking to fish for pannies on the north end, any advice on vicinity would be greatly appreciated. Was possibly planning to fish the northern half for some pannies. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The ice plenty safe on the north end although I'm always on an ATV. Stay away from the narrow between cigar and Brahm Islands and you should be fine. Look for the deepest water up there which is about 24-25', but mostly 15-18' in most of the areas. Some of the north bays which are shallow (6-8) get pretty good later on I'm told but I generally try to find deep water and go from there. Good Luck

Luge

heading to W.Rush tomorrow......hope the ice at the access is holding up,me and my one ton Chevy don't swim so well?

Whats the story on that area between Braham and Cigar, what is running through there that makes it thin??? Any other spots to watch out for???

There's usually a pressure ridge there. Thats not to say you can't drive over it at some point but I wouldn't. It's just as easy to go around the island.

Went out Thursday, did okay. Went out Friday, can't complain. Making waves on the ice today driving. Know what you are doing, folks. Late is great!

river-rat4

By Saturday AM, no water. All drained off or re-froze. Spent all day out there, left about 8pm Sat night, same conditions. Wasn't warm enough to melt anything on Saturday. We did find ice that varied from 15" to 26". Can't speak for what Sunday may have brought........

I was on east on Sat. and all the water from friday had froze solid. Hope that helps.

Dan

Is the west access still good to go? I am assuming that it is after this cold snap?!

Thanks for any info!

crappie getter

FTY23,

I am not telling you to drive out, but on a lake 10-12 miles south there are 1/2 ton trucks with trailers driving out (Friday afternoon).

river-rat4

Several full size trucks on the ice today. I found 24 + inches of ice in all areas I was fishing..

Anyone see that truck go through the ice between cigar and braham islands?.. i was there...

Proves yet again.. DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH THAT AREA !

That guy is lucky to be alive..

When I left the rear end had fallen completely through and the front tires were starting lift off the ice..

Just wondering if the truck was pulled to safety before it fell completely through.

Which islands are Cigar and Braham from the public access? Thanks for the info.

From the west Rush access Braham is to your left pointing North South. Cigar is the Island directly in front of you in an East West direction.

There is a bit of a ridge/reef that runs between them and it never realy freezes right in the gap. And FWIW it tops out to the point that you will destroy your lower unit if you try to run a boat between them. Just dont go between the two, summer or winter.

Why would someone try to drive through there?THERES A PREASSURE RIDGE THERE!!I dont understand the thought process of driving between those islands.

Just wondering if the truck was pulled to safety before it fell completely through.

Yep, they got it out. Took them awhile but they got it out and towed to shore for a flatbed to come pick it up later.

Thanks for the help out there Saturday, Big A.

Another car went into W Rush Lake yesterday...

So that makes a truck on Sat and a car on Monday..

I am thinking it not a good idea to drive out onto the lake anymore. 4 wheeler season is upon us.. and even that will prob be short lived.

I can speak on behalf of MANY when I say that for those who wish to start an argument about the ice's safety. Please.. save your breath.

Rush lake is not safe. The word is out and the warnings are clear. Those that respond to fish people and vehicles out of the water are not to thrilled at the lack of thought and intelligence that it would take to continue to drive onto the lakes....

Sunday had water running INTO the ice in a lot of places. Not neccessarily even where there were old holes.

Some was going fast enough to create vortexes.

Any of those spots could erode away enough to be dangerous by now.

Please be careful.

Thanks fo the warnings guys. i think we might have an earlier ice out this year if this warm weather keeps up. April 3rd is my guess.