• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

NEW Rush Report(chisago)

Was out today right by the island straight out from the landing on west rush. (dunno the name have only fished the lake twice) The storm seemed to shut off the fish, had lots of fish on the flasher but they didnt seem that interested in anything. between the three of us we got about 9 or 10 crappies all over 9 inches in about 4 hours. Watch out for the snow though until they get a road plowed. I stood in a drift that was about 3 feet high and that was only at 11 AM. Also, those who are worried about the ice, we drove out in a 1 ton, stayed by where we thought the road was, and had no problem with the ice.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FasterThanYou23

• JACOB09

• bassphish2005

• MN Angler

Ill be going out thursday probably at 5 or 6 am be in a blue clam went there last weekend left wit 80 some crappies and perch between my party found this spot where your vexilar screen lights up alll the way from 30fow between 20 ft.

Guys, lets drop the bickering and get this topic back on track. Rush is a very good lake that has a lot of pressure. Sometimes it is hard to deal with the crowds out there, but getting away from the crowds can often times lead to much better fishing. Let the guys that want to drink and scream and holler fish in the shanty towns. If a person wants to fish the lake they should be welcome to do so without ridicule for where they are from. That is not what this site is about. Lets keep it fun and informative.

If you see illegal activities going on, call it in and don't be ashamed of it. And anybody that calls me a snitch or a buzz kill can go ahead and do so, I would much rather have everyone safe and happy.

Some of my best and worst memories on the ice come from Rush. You can kinda come to expect it with a name like that.

it is all rutted up. the drive out there was pretty bumpy but we werent flying so it wasnt bad. did see a truck going about 30 and he was bouncing pretty bad.

I was good friends with the Local Conservation Officer who was responsible for Rush Lake last year. He transferred to Lake Superior because he got tired of the disaster Rush can be.

I agree with all who are saying use the tip line. 90% of all things Law Enforcement succeeds with is based on "tips" from others. We are the eyes for the strong arm of the law. The more calls and complaints. The more likely a uniform will be present. Its simple.

The FBI proved in a nation wide study, an increase in Law Enforcement presence, will decrease the crime. Call TIP, have the License plate # of the vehicle(s) involved, DNR #'s if possible also. Increase the DNR presence... decrease the undesirable activity. Dont forget that any citizen has the power to make a citizens arrest. If you want to get the DNR out there ASAP.. do so.

Rush is an awesome lake. Its fun and always has the chances of catching some slabs. There are plenty of good people to talk with and fun to be had. Our efforts will help maintain this lake in the future.

Back to the lake.. Last year I fished Rush probably 3 times a week. Basically caught a limit of Crappies everytime I wanted one. Have only had 2 chances to fish it so far this year.. seems like the Marcum was light up like a christmas tree. But I just couldnt get the fish to bite.

Hows everyone else doing? the fish are there.. but the pressure is on!

How is the 14" of snow affecting travel on the lake? Does someone usually plow a road out to Cigar Island? Want to bring a wheelhouse out there tomorrow, but now I am rethinking due to the snow unsless I hear otherwise.

Nobody plows roads out, except us "locals"........

My truck has been in the shop, otherwise it would be plowed. Sorry.

Maybe someone else will get it before I get mine back.

I agree with the tip line thing.

Cause the lake has gotten worse since Marty moved on.

The important thing is, leave the lake better than what you found it.

And, I'm asking please....Cause, just before the ice goes out, I'm one of the guy's you see out there picking the lake up of trash. No, it's not just me, the lake assosiation (sp). and others join in.

All I can say is, enjoy the lake, it has alot to offer...but please be considerate.

OK, I've said my peace, my 2 pennies........

For what it's worth, prolly not much..........

Hunter

thats true locals do plow the roads and thats nice and that you do pick up the lake too. So tommarrow when i go out with a bunch of my friends we'll be turning in all them dumbass people (srry for the language) so if your one of them people watch out cause were sick of it. Im sick of people denting the cars and giving people a ride back to shore cause there too drunk to find there car. And im also wondering is there a nice bluegill bite around on west rush or not.

I agree with the tip line thing.

Cause the lake has gotten worse since Marty moved on.

The important thing is, leave the lake better than what you found it.

Hunter

Marty was the best. Last yrs CO was named Matt.

This yr I am not even sure if there is one in the area..

Anybody hear from or see any CO's on Rush this year?

Marty Book, went to Duluth?

I saw his wife in Cambridge shopping on 12/28/08 (Sunday).

RR4

No, Matt went to Duluth.

Marty is still working for the DNR here, but not as a CO. It was in the paper, he got promoted.

Hunter

Marty is RETIRED fella's.. Has been for awhile.

He is enjoying life and family. A well earned retirement for the best CO the state of MN ever had.. IMO.

The guy last year that covered rush was from milaca. I cant remember his name, it may have been matt but not sure. When I talked to him last he was training a guy in for this area but didnt catch his name. So we should see the CO more next summer hopefully.

... A well earned retirement for the best CO the state of MN ever had.. IMO.

Agreed!!!!

I think that is half the problem. Everyone knew Marty, the majority of people out there still think he is the CO for the area. Been retired for a several years now.

Any issues getting around with a truck and a wheelhouse out to cigar island? Talked to my buddy and he was out there yesterday and sadi cars were out on the lake.

Thats not a problem.Rooads are plowed and the snows not real deep.Its all packed down around cigar anyway.I just got back.Measured about 17" of ice.

OK, my bad....

I thought Marty was still doing stuff with wetlands...

Nether here nor there......

To get back on the subject of fishing though....

We got roads plowed down to crane, but they are ruff.

The only real problem is the access road itself, it's very slippery and we were pushing front wheel drive mini vans up the hill last night.

Oh man the access road is awful.I put it in 4 wheel everytime just to make sure I get up it.

Fishing was very slow yesterday. The brother-in-law and I caught just a few crappies and couple perch. And we had to work real hard for that.

The access road is absolutely horrible. We were is a 2wd truck and didn't make it up. Another guy in a 4wd Toyota pulling a trailer didn't make it up. We got 3/4 of the hill up and stopped dead. VERY ICY. A BIG thank you to the guy in a 4wd Chevy that pulled both of us the last 1/4 of the hill up.

The road off the lake is rather slick to say the least. Having to stop at the top if oncoming cross traffic poses a rather potential for not regaining traction. even four wheel drive is a bit concerning.

The fish.? checked out four spots. One was water logged, Slush. Got out of there. finally hit a hole of suspened semi active crappies. managed 10 keepers. Would like to hit some eyes out there. Saw some activity on the bottom in 35 feet but dropping down under the crappies only produces looks.

It was really quiet out there today,for a change.Fishing was okay.Couple crappies in the morining,fat perch all day and a couple walleyes before I left to get back in time to watch the vikes lose.

I was out on the lake at 4:30 this morning. Thought it would be cool to try it out when nobody was around. wouldnt you know it that I have an ENTIRE lake to park my truck. And I manage to park in the perfect spot to step out of my truck and directly into a lovely 10inch ice hole.. I was glad that I didnt tear up my knee and was only mildly bothered.. It was funny after I had thought it about it awhile. What are the odds!?... so as I was catching fish this morning I had a nice sock cook out with the Big Buddy Heater....

Anyways I didnt keep any today. But if I had, I would have had a very nice limit by 10:30. I fished till 7. Seemed like a very light bite. The spring bobber barely moved.. also a lot of sunfish today.

Fished west on saturday and was fearing the worst from some of the reports. Was a lot of people. Most I've ever seen on the lake but tolerable. Seems a lot more people around Wilsons island than ever before. Years ago few ever bothered with the west side of Wilsons now it's packed with houses. Now there's even a city south of Wilsons. That area rarely got fished till a few years back. The hole south of the sunken island had fewer houses on it and more spread out. Every one we talked to seemed really decent and tolerable of the numbers of people. We fished away from the crowds and only had one group come in on us and they kept their distance. They drilled their holes quickly and efficently and kept the noise down. We had our fish in about an hour and a half with the 10 y/o daughter catching the biggest at 11 1/4"s. She was pumped she caught the biggest. The minnow bite was better than the maggot bite by 2/1. That was different than I thought it would be with all the traffic. Have fished that lake for about 13 years now. The good areas are still good when the traffic is down but to find the more aggressive bighters we've found you need to push the envelope on the edges of the deep holes. The farther away from cities and traffic the better. But even 50 yards will make a huge difference on the outer edges of every body else. Typical for a cloudy day on Rush with the crappies. The bite started up as soon as we started fishing at around 3 and slowed way down around 4:30. Has almost always shut off right before sunset till just after for about 45 mintues to and hour for us. Rush point store was packed. Don't forget a shovel and waterproof boots. Was water about an inch above the ice and below the snow around where the holes were drilled. Rush has been giving up crappies since I started fishing it. Seems it gets hit hard but for us the fish are still there. Have a milk run and if one spot turns off there's always one that's on somewhere. Is an amazing lake to be able to with stand that much pressure and keep putting out numbers of 8-10"ers. The 10 fish limit IMO helped it out and I wouldn't mind seeing a size limit on it around 9 or 10"s. Not sure if it would help but would be fun to try it for 5 years and see if it could up the average size a bit. We don't keep fish like we use to out of it but one of our best limits was about 6 years ago for 3 of us and ever fish was over 10"s with the biggest being just under 12"s. Only know of one group ever finding a school of honest 12"ers and they filled out on them and never found them again. Go figure.

Last year we found a spot that nobody was ever on.Pulled up 10-12 inchers all morning for 4 weekends,didnt keep our limit everytime but we easily could have.Even had a couple 13 inchers.There were people around us but nobody could hit the right spot.But I think they should try a size limit on crappies also..