• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

NEW Rush Report(chisago)

Got out today on West with the kids from 2:30 to 7:00pm. Did well on the crappies in 30 FOW with minnows. Fish were suspended from 14 28 FOW. Another beautiful on the ice.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FasterThanYou23

• JACOB09

• bassphish2005

• PSourasinth

Made it out this morning. Tried past spot for crappies before the sun came up. Marked fish, no takers. Went shallow and got a nice jumbo perch, after that nothing but small perch and sunfish. Tried deeper at about 10 o'clock, and again marked tons of fish, no takers. Tried minnows, euro, and gulp waxies.

I whent out to rush tuesday and limited out on sunnies and some perch. 3 friends

they were a little pickey but we still got them to bit.

I heard no one had much luck that day

Went out yesterday and did very well. Kept some very nice gills, a few perch and one 11 inch crappie. It took a while to find a consistent gill bite but toward the middle of the day I finally found some agressive fish. I was probabbly 150-200 yards away from the closest person and was fishing in a spot where it was obvious no one else had tried yet. Biggest gill was 9.25 in.

Good luck

Going fishing with a buddy early Saturday morning. Haven't been up there for about 2 weeks. Could anybody advise with the snow yesterday, how is the lake access and how are the roads navigating on the lake? I was just wondering if it's tough to get around? Though you never know with ice, was it still pretty solid to drive on, around 28-32 inches? Any info would be appreciated. Are they still hitting on minnow heads, eruolarva, and waxworms?

Me and a buddy of mine are headin up to West Rusk Lake early tomorrow morning. Have an extra seat, if your interested in coming along let me know. Fire me an e-mail at [email protected], would be more than happy to have you come along. Otherwise if your already planning to go up there or if your already up there please stop by and say hi. I'll be in the green Eskimo Quickflip III. My two tone red/silver truck will be parked right next to it. Hope to see you there!!!

the ice is still the same the worm day dint do nothing.

i think they have the roads plowed you just have to watch out for the bumpe spots.

prity much any small bait will produse fish.

IT JUST DAY TO DAY.

Was out on West Rush Lake with a buddy of mine from 4:30am to about 10am. Fished two different spots and did OK. First spot, caught 13 9-11" crappies in about 22 fow. We threw back about 6-8 fish that were smaller/larger than that size. Used minnow heads or small whole minnows. Then when things seemed to slow down, moved about 300 yards northeast of where we were and immediately started nailing the perch. Drilled 6 holes and was hole hopping in 8 to 11 fow. Perch were anywhere from 7-11". Caught around 25-30 perch, but only kept about 15, due to size. Kept the ones that were 9-11". Perch were hitting on Minnow heads and waxworms. Overall, had lots of fun and was a good day.

Can anyone please dvise if the ice conditions are still good on West/East Rush Lake. Was up there last Saturday and there was still 28-30" of ice. Was thinking about heading up there again this weekend. Did really well last weekend, came home with 13 9-11" crappies and 15 perch 9-11". Fished in 22 fow when we hit the crappies, then fished 8-11 fow when we caught the perch.

Ice was good as of last night. Crappies biting also 4:30 PM and on! Caught limit plus!! People are still driving all over. It is a little eery fishing without all the fish houses and people. Nice! I am sure things will pick up this weekend. I would think the ice will be no problem for a few days anyway. The snow hampers me in my 2 wheel drive pick up but not too much.

Mnfisher,

Me and a buddy of mine are serious considering hitting Rush Lake again this week. We're still not sure whether to head up Friday night or early Saturday morning say, 3:30am. Would you like to join us MNfisher? Otherwise if we do go, I'll be in my two tone red/silver chevy silverado in a green eskimo quickflip III. Will keep you posted on our plans.

I dont understand why everyone even keeps all those litle crappies. Most of those fish are 5-8 inches in any of the deeper holes on Rush, and there paper thin to boot.

There are quite a few smaller crappies this time of year in the deeper holes however, there are still some decent ones there if you want to pick through. Last week fished a couple of the deeper holes and kept some really nice crappies the smallest was 10, three 11s and two 12 inchers( the largest ones this year). Getting away from the crowds and areas that have been pounded all winter can definately pay off when it comes to size and numbers though.

I dont understand why everyone even keeps all those litle crappies. Most of those fish are 5-8 inches in any of the deeper holes on Rush, and there paper thin to boot.

I think you just want them all for yourself. grin

No, I dont want all those chips to myself.lol. I basically grew up fishing East and West Rush and have watched the quality of the cappies crumble. By the way, I always fish away from the crowds. I'd rather be off away from everybody by myself catching 9"+ gills. Trust me, its alot funner then fishing anywhere near the cities that are packed with runt crappies.

I here ya. It's to bad that we don't have better management practices on highly pressured lakes like Rush for panfish. Especially when there's banner harvests like this winter. Yeh, I like it away from crowds aswell. There's something about knowing you found some nice fish that nobody else has.

I'm not saying there arent a few decent crappies, but West Rush has turned into another South Center. I guess its a great place to get the kids interested though.

It is a shame there are not better management practeces in place. I have been fishing Rush for the past 6 years and have always done well. I mainly target pannies here and occationally go for the eyes. As far as crappies go over the past 6 years my three biggest are 12 inchers and had a buddy get a 13. They get pounded every winter so its not suprising to me that out of the hundreds of crappies I have caught only three have been of that caliber. I wish they would put in place some regulation; a slot or a 5 fish limit to get the overall size of them up. It would definately give those 5-8 inchers which are so prevalent a chance to grow up. I'm no expert by any means but I have also heard like TravP mentioned that this lake as good as it can be has gone down hill over the years. Rush lake is still one of the best lakes around the metro area in my eyes however, to keep it a good fishery some regulations have to be put in place. I would not be opposed to a slot for walleyes either. One night last summer I was fishing and must have caught 25 walleyes and only one was over 15. I have seen first hand guys keeping a limit of 12 inchers. I have nothing against them because they have the right to keep them whatever the size. I personally believe 14-15 inches is the smallest walleye one should keep. I believe Rush is a good walleye lake now but has the potential to become an even better one with just a little management. Sorry for the rant just got me thinking. What do others think?

I think a 5-10 fish limit and a slot on gills and crappies is needed for just about every lake in the area. As far as walleye slots on Rush, they use to have a slot and if I remember right it was in effect every other year. Everybody that is reading this should be practicing catch and release. Maybe think about what all these posts are saying" I got my limit", I'm not saying dont keep a few fish here and there but come on, how many fish do you need. Those crappies are unbelievably easy to catch, its not even a challenge for me and many others, which is the reasons anglers flock to this lake. PRACTICE CATCH AND RELEASE AND GIVE SOME OF THESE FISH TIME TO GROW PLEASE!

Thanks,

TravP

If I'm not mistaken they have a slot on crappies and walleyes on goose. Anyone know how that is working out? And yes catch and release is key, take enough for a meal and let the rest swim another day. The old walleye slot is interesting. That makes a lot of sense too. My girlfriends dad has been fishing the lake for about 30 years and said 10-15 years ago he would be able to go out and get 3-4 nice eyes for a meal on a consistent basis.

We use to go out to East rush and be able to catch 30+ nice walleyes a day from opener to mid june. Until about 5 or 6 years ago. And yes on goose 5 crappie limit. Theres a slot on walleyes as well. I have no idea how well its working being that I havent fished that lake in about 5 years because of the way the crappies have gone downhill. Sorry for all the negativity but people need to open their eyes and realize what has happened to most of the excellent fishing that use to happen on a consistant basis.

PRACTICE CATCH AND RELEASE AND GIVE SOME OF THESE FISH TIME TO GROW PLEASE!

Thanks,

TravP

TravP: I agree with you on the problem but not the solution.

The reason why Rush has more smaller fish is that people are keeping all of the bigger fish. If people keep all of the big crappies and panfish, then the lake becomes stunted with little crappies and panfish. It is not a matter of giving them enough time to grow.

Basically, it'd be better to keep the smaller fish and release the bigger ones.

From the same perspective, the annual harvest of bass, walleye, and northerns is a problem. These fish are effective at removing the small panfish too.

I think smaller limits (10 crappies per person is not a very big limit) are a pretty good idea. I also think slot limits (or even size maximums), especially on the big predators, is a great idea. Let people keep the smaller northerns, bass, and walleyes to eat and leave the panfish-eaters in the lake. These bigger fish likely have more mercury, so it's better for the people too.

Interesting topic guys...my folks have a place on a lake up north with a 10 inch minnimum for crappies. It has been in place for about ten years now. For the first 5-6 years all the fish were between 8-9.99999 inches, but the numbers of crappies increased from being only able to catch 10 a night to right now where you can go out and catch 50-60 a night using plastics. Luckily the lake association decided to stick with it and now we are seeing big dividends. The average crappie I caught this year was probably closer to 11.5. Even had the opportunity to C&R a 14.75 incher. The slot limits definately can work. Having said this it is a way different situation. There is no where near the pressure that Rush sees and the only predator in the lake up north are stunted pike. So if you are really interested in doing something, slot limits can work, the lake association just needs to get vocal about it with the DNR. Good luck to everyone the rest of the year.

Dan

da_chise31 posted this link a while back. It is the Crappie Toolbox from the MN DNR. There is a lot of really great information in this. Many things to consider in creating a slot limit for a lake. Some very negative side effects can happen if it is not fully planned out.

Do you honestly think a 10" minimum would work on Rush. After reading up more on the subject along with knowing the mentality of many fishing the lake, I can tell you flat out, NO. The second a fish hits 10" it will be in the bucket and you will no longer have many renegade bruisers in the lake. People need to take it upon themselves to practice selective harvest. I fished West last night and kept the one and only limit of crappies I will take from the lake this year. They were between 9-10.5". I do not feel bad for taking one limit. The guys that are out there all the time taking limits each time out are the ones decimating the population.

Watch the movie Idiocracy, and you will see what removing good genetics can do to any environment. Yes, it is fictional, but it is a hilarious movie.

Would anybody be kind enough to give me a Rush Lake ice update? Planning on going up early Saturday morning and was wondering if people are still driving out onto the lake. With these few days of average temps, getting leary about driving on the ice. How thick is the ice? Was also wondering if the fish are still biting. Was up there this past weekend and did very well, and ice was about 30". Stayed away from the crowds.

The ice was great yesterday. The area I was fishing was at least 28". But last week when I was up there, I was on a spot with about 18". Areas where water flows will have less ice, main lake portions will be thicker.

For safety precautions, where was the ice that was 18" located? Will have to remember not to drive over to that area.

Just don't go too close to the channel. I was a good distance from it and still had 18".

Do you honestly think a 10" minimum would work on Rush. After reading up more on the subject along with knowing the mentality of many fishing the lake, I can tell you flat out, NO. The second a fish hits 10" it will be in the bucket and you will no longer have many renegade bruisers in the lake. People need to take it upon themselves to practice selective harvest. I fished West last night and kept the one and only limit of crappies I will take from the lake this year. They were between 9-10.5". I do not feel bad for taking one limit. The guys that are out there all the time taking limits each time out are the ones decimating the population.

I really like this. I strongly agree that selective harvest is incredibly important.

I also think that managing the lakes can be very complicated and I've been very impressed with the work of Minnesota's DNR (before you disagree, you should know that I grew up in another state where their DNR did nothing but check to make sure that people had licenses to fish).

For what it is worth, I have fished Rush three times now... I am very impressed with the quality of fishing there... I can't imagine how good it would be if it were "better".