• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

7th Annual Burntside Bash w/map

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Great Outdoors

• ripstick

• Northlander

I am not sure what the heck was i reading, I like your forecast better. funny, I dont think I was drinking

ok I realize I clicked on the weekend forecast thinking it was for next weekend when now it was for this weekend, duh. it does look nice, I feel so much better.

And the extended forcast for my area does not show any snow!! That would be the only thing stopping us from making it this year because we would have to stay and plow.

That's the kind of weather that makes me drill a hundred holes a day. looking forward to the work out.

If there is anyone that is still homeless, I still have some room in the shack for the weekend. Two bunks are filled, but we can make room for a couple more. Just let me know at rsduluth at yahoo dot com.

First come, first serve. Casaloma and Explorer first, since they called thier bunks last year.

Just let me know.

BYO TP sick

tc,

After a 6 year run, my Bash streak will most likely come to an end this year unfortunately. The mrs is on-call and after me and Junior's trip last weekend, it just isn't in the cards for me to bring him with me for the Bash. A 6 year old has wayyyyyy to much energy to sit in an otter for more than a little bit!! smile

I also had a 3 day winter camping trip on Saganaga the next weekend that I've been devoting alot of time to, but that just xploded in my face and is cancelled. So instead of going alone (was going to campout on the islands of Sag) I am going to Cheq. bay for a couple day trips.

So here's an invitation.....If anyone want's to make a full day trip over to bayfield on feb 7th, let me know. I will be leaving at O'Dark thirty, and staying past dark. I'm also spending the day on the 6th, but have to be back to coach X Jr.'s basketball game at 6pm, so I'll have to leave about 3pm to get back to Esko.

Xplorer

PS: Dont be tooooo suprised if a one-up, teal colored polaris Trail sled with 2 riders pulls up at the Bash. Those of you that have been there before, know how addicting this laker thing is winkwinkwinkgrin

That would be great if you can make it, Chris! smile Sorry to hear the Sag trip is off. frown

Bummer deal Chris, At least I won't have to hide my boots.

Hope to see you there. If anything changes, the door is open.

Tc are you dropping on the ice. Just wondering . Umight drop off stuff fri pm when I get there.

The plan is to get up there Thursday night. I don't know if I will chance getting on the ice then or in the morning. But, the door is open if you want to store anything Gary.

Xplorer, six of us are going over to Cheq. bay next weekend Fri. and Sat. Your more then welcome to join us. We changed our plans a few weeks back with the bad ice conditions that was being reported on Burntside then.

OR,

Thanks for the invite. Are you staying the night on friday, or doing day trips? I gotta work friday but could do a run over for saturday if I dont go to the Bash.

I'd sure like to get a feel for the Bay before i go over the weekend of the 6/7th, I've only ice'd it once for trout before, near the onion/sioux river mouths.

Guys--what time is the Bash starting? I will be heading up Saturday morning.

Also, with this cold weather this weekend, how is the snow/slush shaping up? I'm only planning on heading to the eastern side of Van Vac. I know that my sled will be fine but there will be 3 of us and I was wondering if a wheeler might that able to make it out.

Patrick, there's still a foot of snow in most open areas, except of course around Van Van it's pretty well packed down. Not sure whether their wheelers are OK in a foot of snow or not.

There are some slush pockets around but most are shallow. I've been out five times in five different areas on the lake and have yet to run over slush deeper than four inches, and very little of that. I have come CLOSE to a pretty deep slush hole up on the North Arm, though. gringrin

There's double ice in lots of places, roughly five inches of ice with a four inch slush pocket and then another 8-10 inches of ice. If your wheelers are OK on a foot of snow over five inches of ice (white ice from frozen slush/water) then that's good. If they'll break through that ice and into the slush pockets below (like Hans' truck did a couple days back, it'll be a chore getting around.

Whether this last spate of -25 lows is tightening up the slush pocket between the ice layers I don't know.

Steve are there any plowed roads that are truck worthy? I'm thinking from the reports that I'll be staying real close to Van Vac.

chaff, there are a number of short spur roads plowed, and at least one road that goes to a permanent shack set up along the south shore of Oliver Island. A person could pull off the side of that road (always assuming there's room to do that and still allow passage of another vehicle) and walk off the road a ways to fish the steep breaks along Oliver/Waters.

I haven't been down to Van Vac this weekend (went out of different places) and don't know if any contractors have started pushing a road across the lake.

Steve:

Those are pretty much the same conditions that I had last week. I think I remember a few snomo tracks heading out there so maybe the wheeler can stay up on that and be alright. I was just wondering if the warmer weather last week and then the cold snap this weekend put a nice crust on the snow.

Right now I don't think we'll be traveling too much further than to the eastern side of Van Vac. One guy has to bad back and the other just got done with arthosopic on his knee.

I walked out to the spot but I know know how well they will be able to make the jaunt.

I plowed a spot on Vermilion today and still broke through 3 times in a spot there wasn't much snow.. I wouldn't count on the double ice dissappearing much despite the cold...

Steve, If I shoot you some gps numbers would you go pack that area down for us? HHHHHAAAAAAAAA!

Shoot them away! I'm always willing to do a little work for some more good Bside spots to go with the 4,297 I already have. winkwink

Casey,

I agree with you on the double ice, same thing on Burntside in many spots in spite of the cold weather.

Plowed a short road, drilled a hole, hit a double layer with very soft ice near the bottom.

This was on a snowmachine trail I had packed down two weeks earlier, so it should have been as good as it could be.

Glad the truck didn't break through!!

chaffmj,

Will try to be there before 7 am, earlier if the weather is warm.

If it looks good, could be before 6-6:30 am.

Gonna take Wednesday morning off and see it anything is biting.

If any Fm'ers are interested, I will plow a big parking lot on Burntside off the Van Vac landing Friday night if someone will be there to mark where you want it, and pull me out if I hit a double layer of ice! grin

Call the shop, and let me know a time-I can be there as early as 4:10 pm.

Jim we will be on the lake all day friday. Probably get off about 5pm. E-mail me and I can get ya my cel # and you can call me Friday and myself and some others can meet ya at the landing and we can toss around some ideas. Thanks a lot!

Thought I'd throw in the latest NWS forecast for Ely.

Thursday: A 30 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 14. Northwest wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Thursday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -11.

Friday: A slight chance of snow after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 14.

Friday Night: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -1.

Saturday: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 7.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 20.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

G O, thanks for the offer to plow. I'm thinking instead of a parking lot maybe a two lane loop to spread the weight out.

I'll send you and email.

Details:

Looks like we have enough grills but if some wants to bring another that would be alright.

Even though we have some members bringing stuff to grill , as mentioned earlier bring your own food to throw grill. We really can't have too much.

Cheffery is bringing one table, if we someone can bring another we should be good to go.

I'll bring garbage bags but we could use a garbage can. That would be a good item for a local to bring. Anyone have access to a dumpster for the trash?

We'll meet at dawn at HQ. That will be around 7:30 then head out. I'd imagine there will be members fishing around HQ or close by along the South shore. Bring your radios, we'll be on channel 7. Lets meet back up at 3 PM for grilling and a wrap up.