• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2009 voluntary $5 walleye stamp

I agree it could have gotten heated but didn't. this was a pretty fun n interesting topic to discuss. We havn't had a good 1 like this in awhile.Btw there a article in the Star Trib on the back of the sports pg some may find interesting.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Team Otter

• norwall

• harvey lee

• CrappiesNCats

TO hit it on the head there, this has been a great topic to discuss and while respecting each ones opinions, it was very informational. Everyone contributed useful information and opinions.

Y stop now,lets keep r goin.the Sart Trib reports that if the Clean water amendant act is passed it would generate $270 mil over the nex 25yrs.That n the Lotto combined is some serious funding although the lotto funds stop flowing in2 it in 2025 in Clean water act goes til 2034. Good info for all of us to ck out nontheless.

why did the lotto stop putting money into the outdoors .....you know i buy scratch offs thinking i am helping clean up lakes ..... not to win money .... lol lol

This is a summary from the DNR website on walleye stocking.

Common walleye stocking questions

Q: What's the difference between stocking walleye fry and stocking walleye fingerlings?

A: It's more cost effective to stock fry (mosquito-sized walleyes) than fingerlings (4 to 6-inch walleyes), so we stock fry most often. Sometimes a fisheries manager will stock fry in the spring and then check back in the fall to se what proportion survived to reach fingerling size. If not enough did, then supplemental fingerlings may be stocked that fall.

Another difference is that fry stocking is more variable-some years are booms; some are busts. Fingerling stocking results tend to be more consistent.

Q: How long does it take a stocked fish to reach catchable size?

A: It takes several years for the tiny walleyes stocked each spring or fall to reach 1 pound, or about 14 inches. Warmer, southern lakes have longer growing seasons, so walleyes grow more quickly there than in the north.

Lake Region

Time to Reach 1 lb.

South

3-4 years

North

4-5 years

Northern border

5-6 years

Walleye stocking

We stock walleyes in roughly 900 lakes throughout the state, adjusting stocking levels up and down as necessary. The goal of these manipulations is to find appropriate stocking levels that increase or maintain healthy walleye populations.

Our prudent, scientific approach appears to be working. Overall walleye populations have continued to increase on stocked lakes since 1977, even though we stock fewer walleyes now than in the 1980's.

Not every lake is stocked with walleyes. Many large, windswept northern lakes are natural walleye factories that don't need a visit from the hatchery truck. To stock these lakes would be like planting corn in a field already sown with seed.

And some lakes aren't stocked with walleyes because they are better suited for natural bass and panfish populations. On some bass and panfish lakes where angler harvest pressure justifies the cost, such as Lake Minnetonka, we stock walleyes to compensate for limited natural walleye reproduction.

On each lake, fisheries managers must consider the cost versus the benefits of walleye stocking, the likely effects on other fish populations, and how well previous stockings worked. Only then do they recommend whether a lake should be stocked or not.

As one manager puts it: "Not all waters can be fishing waters, and not all fishing waters can be walleye fishing waters."

Success Story

Walleye Stocking

During the 1980's, we evaluated our stocking policy to see where it might be improved. In the 1990's as a result of that analysis, we decreased the amount of walleyes we stocked in Minnesota lakes while increasing the overall effectiveness of stocking. The result has been a continual increase in walleye abundance in stocked lakes while we have saved time and money by not stocking lakes that hadn't been benefiting from the practice.

A new Accelerated Walleye Program aims to further increase walleye abundance on stocked lakes by boosting stocking rates on lakes where it appears to do the most good.

The chart shows that walleye abundance has steadily grown over the past two decades, even after 1990, when we began stocking fewer walleyes but stocking "smarter" (targeting lakes where stocking worked best and discontinuing stocking where it was not benefiting anglers.)

The chart shows that walleye abundance has steadily grown over the past two decades, even after 1990, when we began stocking fewer walleyes but stocking "smarter" (targeting lakes where stocking worked best and discontinuing stocking where it was not benefiting anglers.)

This could start another topic alone.The southern prairie pothole lakes that freeze out from time to time.They always seem to freeze out when these lakes are producing some great fish populations.2 of my favorite lakes down here froze out in 2000-2001.Both lakes are still not producing nice fish 8 years later.Maybe these lakes should have aireation systems installed for the freeze out years.Then stock them.It is such a waste to see these lakes freeze out and sometimes wipe out the gamefish.Just something else to consider while talking about stocking.

Very good point Dan. Not too many people north of Mille Lacs would ever think of that. Ha!

The more people that purchase the 2009 "Voluntary" stamp, will only encourage the DNR to take it before the legislature to make it MANDATORY. They will be able to show legislators that the 'average joe fisherman' is willing to contribute an additional $5.00 to enhance their sport. I WANT to know what the *#@% the DNR does with the license money that we already pay them!! The DNR believes the people/sportsmen of Minnesota are cash cows just looking for a bottomless pit to throw hard earned dollars into. Does the Commissioner of the DNR need a new work-out room... AGAIN?? So many more parties for them to throw, How many have been thrown in the past, that they were not called on?? NO, I will not be buying a 2009 walleye stamp. Phred52

The more people that purchase the 2009 "Voluntary" stamp, will only encourage the DNR to take it before the legislature to make it MANDATORY. They will be able to show legislators that the 'average joe fisherman' is willing to contribute an additional $5.00 to enhance their sport. I WANT to know what the *#@% the DNR does with the license money that we already pay them!! The DNR believes the people/sportsmen of Minnesota are cash cows just looking for a bottomless pit to throw hard earned dollars into. Does the Commissioner of the DNR need a new work-out room... AGAIN?? So many more parties for them to throw, How many have been thrown in the past, that they were not called on?? NO, I will not be buying a 2009 walleye stamp. Phred52

i'm gonna leave this one alone. i dont even know where to begin.

Blanket statements about the "DNR" can not be made and furthermore, are not accurate. The DNR is split into many divisions and should be discussed in such a manner. We've all been guilty of it from time to time but moving forward, please be careful how you address such a concern. Thank you.

CnC--

I guess I made the statement based on alot of responses that have to do with the DNR in which I feel unfairly justifies their stance on this issue. Everyone has their own opinion on this one and that's why the "voluntary" part of the stamp is good. I will buy it. Some will not--and that's just fine with me. I've caught 100's of walleye this year while keeping only a small percentage of them---maybe three limits. From what I can gather, ALL of the walleye I caught are a direct result of the Fisheries stocking program. I like fishing in this state and I really like the fish I catch here as well. I feel that giving something back ($5 bucks voluntarily) to hopefully keep what we have is a no-brainer on my part.

Quote:
Blanket statements about the "DNR" can not be made and furthermore, are not accurate. The DNR is split into many divisions and should be discussed in such a manner. We've all been guilty of it from time to time but moving forward, please be careful how you address such a concern. Thank you.

What??? Are you kiddin me?? Come on, I'm pretty dang sure no one in minnesota when talking about issues with the "DNR" is going to break it down to divisions. Come on people, this is not court. And when I refer to the "DNR" it's the management that I'm speaking of. Sheesh didn't know that we need to be politically correct on FM.

This is a summary from the DNR website on walleye stocking.

Common walleye stocking questions

Q: What's the difference between stocking walleye fry and stocking walleye fingerlings?

A: It's more cost effective to stock fry (mosquito-sized walleyes) than fingerlings (4 to 6-inch walleyes), so we stock fry most often. Sometimes a fisheries manager will stock fry in the spring and then check back in the fall to se what proportion survived to reach fingerling size. If not enough did, then supplemental fingerlings may be stocked that fall.

Another difference is that fry stocking is more variable-some years are booms; some are busts. Fingerling stocking results tend to be more consistent.

Q: How long does it take a stocked fish to reach catchable size?

A: It takes several years for the tiny walleyes stocked each spring or fall to reach 1 pound, or about 14 inches. Warmer, southern lakes have longer growing seasons, so walleyes grow more quickly there than in the north.

Lake Region

Time to Reach 1 lb.

South

3-4 years

North

4-5 years

Northern border

5-6 years

Walleye stocking

We stock walleyes in roughly 900 lakes throughout the state, adjusting stocking levels up and down as necessary. The goal of these manipulations is to find appropriate stocking levels that increase or maintain healthy walleye populations.

Our prudent, scientific approach appears to be working. Overall walleye populations have continued to increase on stocked lakes since 1977, even though we stock fewer walleyes now than in the 1980's.

Not every lake is stocked with walleyes. Many large, windswept northern lakes are natural walleye factories that don't need a visit from the hatchery truck. To stock these lakes would be like planting corn in a field already sown with seed.

And some lakes aren't stocked with walleyes because they are better suited for natural bass and panfish populations. On some bass and panfish lakes where angler harvest pressure justifies the cost, such as Lake Minnetonka, we stock walleyes to compensate for limited natural walleye reproduction.

On each lake, fisheries managers must consider the cost versus the benefits of walleye stocking, the likely effects on other fish populations, and how well previous stockings worked. Only then do they recommend whether a lake should be stocked or not.

As one manager puts it: "Not all waters can be fishing waters, and not all fishing waters can be walleye fishing waters."

Success Story

Walleye Stocking

During the 1980's, we evaluated our stocking policy to see where it might be improved. In the 1990's as a result of that analysis, we decreased the amount of walleyes we stocked in Minnesota lakes while increasing the overall effectiveness of stocking. The result has been a continual increase in walleye abundance in stocked lakes while we have saved time and money by not stocking lakes that hadn't been benefiting from the practice.

A new Accelerated Walleye Program aims to further increase walleye abundance on stocked lakes by boosting stocking rates on lakes where it appears to do the most good.

What is the cost benefit analysis for a fish??? Are there people that will starve to death if they arent' stocked?? Do the little fish get to choose what lake they want to be stocked in?? Seriously, is stocking necessary????

CnC--

I guess I made the statement based on alot of responses that have to do with the DNR in which I feel unfairly justifies their stance on this issue. Everyone has their own opinion on this one and that's why the "voluntary" part of the stamp is good. I will buy it. Some will not--and that's just fine with me. I've caught 100's of walleye this year while keeping only a small percentage of them---maybe three limits. From what I can gather, ALL of the walleye I caught are a direct result of the Fisheries stocking program. I like fishing in this state and I really like the fish I catch here as well. I feel that giving something back ($5 bucks voluntarily) to hopefully keep what we have is a no-brainer on my part.

i know. it was perhaps an inside joke. i'm kind of anal retentive when it comes to blanket DNR statements and have been trying to get it straightened out.

Sheesh didn't know that we need to be politically correct on FM.

We need to try and be as accurate as possible with our comments, thus resulting in a meaningful discussion that is kept civil and informative for all users, both member and non-member.