• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2009 voluntary $5 walleye stamp

T.O.--your stance on this really suprises me since you actually earn some of your income due in part from the stocking efforts of the DNR.

The stocking efforts I support and am very grateful for that. However, an additional $5; I do not support. There is more pieces to this puzzle than being explained. If you watched MN Bound last night after the 10:00 pm news, you'll know what I mean.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Team Otter

• norwall

• harvey lee

• CrappiesNCats

I am in the same boat as T.O. There is a bigger problem that needs to be fixed. Statewide slot and possession limits need to be addressed.

It seems that government's solution to anything is throw more money at it. Well, as we all know, their history of efficiency is not exactly unblemished, so I am apprehensive of giving them more money to spend inefficiently. In fact, I am rather torn about the amendment using the same rational.

I think we can all do our part and just go to the polls next Tuesday and Check YES. Habitat improvement is something this state needs to focus on, the rest will follow

I agree thompson. I kinda look at this way ,ya know the bell ringer outside the mall n grocery stores right. Well it reminds of this at 1st ya give in good faith then as time goes on your like ah f it I never see any results anyhow.kinda reminds me of how the donation thing works. Good intentions but the end results may differ n vary. but lets stay positive n hope this 5 buck donation is a success. I mean if your a avid walleye fisherman this could be a good thing....or not

I am all for helping to preserve lakes and streams but if you look at the bill only about a 1/3 of the tax payers money is going to the "Lakes and streams". If all the money was going towards the environment and lake/steams I would vote YES but is not. The reason why I dont think it will pass is because if somone decides not to vote for the bill its an automatic NO vote.

Next the state will want a tax on everything we do outdoors. I still try to justify any of the extra taxes as I wonder where my other tax dollars that were going towards natural resources now go?

As long as we continue to pass new taxes, the state will continue to come up with new ones. It's time all live within our budgets and spend our tax dollars wisely.

It use to work and I see no reason why it cannot comtinue rather just asking for more all the time.

I do agree with what everyone has said about more fee's and taxes and that this has/will open the door for more ridiculious stamp fees.

You guys are changing my mind, I may just purchase another Shad Rap instead....

I'll gladly buy the stamp! If there was a bass stamp even though i don't fish bass but maybe 1% or less i wouldn't have trouble supporting that either. What is the cost value to the outdoors? $1,$5,$10,$20,$50,$100? So when i buy a sportsmen license and don't go out hunting they shouldn't put that extra money in for a bird or habitat you could hunt? If you guys are all against it and think there is a better way then why not run for office and get it supposely done the correct way.

A guy @ work was givin me guff bout it,sayin yeah every1 likes to catch n eat walleyes but no1 wants to pony up a meesly 5 bucks?he was like what is wrong wit every1. I said maybe they should take the 5 outta the lic we pay4 distribute the funds from that towards their plan.eiher way it will interestin to see a $amt that is generated thru this

If you guys are all against it and think there is a better way then why not run for office and get it supposely done the correct way.

We elect our political leaders liking to think they will make sound decisions with our tax dollars and/or other contributions or donations. Have they done this? Yes and no. It's not a matter of one of us being able to do better but rather it's more of a matter of them better representing and standing up for our interests. Besides, do we want Norm Coleman, John Kline and others replacing the Jason Mitchell's of the world? I don't think so.

It's not that I believe I have the answer but I do believe an extra tax for everything is not the answer. That is also not a guarantee that your money will do what they have stated. There is a history of this happening with added tax programs.

I don't care to pay a tax for something I feel I have already paid for to the DNR through license sales and other taxes.

How would you feel if to fish in minnesota, you would have to buy a licence, but to keep any fish, you must have a stamp for that species...

For example, at the beginning of the season Joe Fisherman would buy the Fishing licence to fish, plus the Walleye stamp because he is planning on keeping walleyes throughout the season. He would also buy the Bass stamp, because he loves the taste of them smoked, and he knows on some of the slow walleye days, he will want to fish for, and keep Bass.

Same would go for musky, northern, catfish, panfish, rough fish etc...

Maybe there would be a rule, that you could keep X amount of fish without a stamp, but would be required to buy one prior to cleaning (maybe this rule would be lax, for the instance of catching a trophy fish while fishing for another species that you would have the stamp for)

The dnr could then keep track of the stamps being sold, and adjust their stocking in regards to the stamps sold

What would you think about that?

I am all for helping to preserve lakes and streams but if you look at the bill only about a 1/3 of the tax payers money is going to the "Lakes and streams". If all the money was going towards the environment and lake/steams I would vote YES but is not. The reason why I dont think it will pass is because if somone decides not to vote for the bill its an automatic NO vote.

80.25 percent is going towards the environment. and to be perfectly honest, with our democratic majorities, if "cultural/arts" isnt included this ammendment doesnt even make it on the ballot. i was against it at first too because of that reason, but without it the bill was dead.

Soon they will have a fee for using the landing also. It doesn't stop. If one keeps giving, they will keep taking.

Neighborguy---your response about the fingerling/fry issue is in need of further explanation??

If you want to catch some very good panfish, fish in a lake that is stocked with a lot of fry. Fry are cheaper to produce, therefore the state can buy more fry than fingerlings for the same money. The problem with that is panfish feed on the fry, in many cases wipping out a large majority of those fry before they can reach fingerling size.

By stocking fingerlings, you have taken the panfish out of the equation and are stocking fish that are much more likely to survive to adulthood/fishable size.

Like I said, when trying to find a new panfish lake, I look at number of walleye fry stocked the bigger the number, the bigger the panfish. If I am looking for walleye's I look for numbers of fingerlings stocked. Or I go to LOW.

Let the anlgers buy the Fry and stock it where we want or for that matter where the DNR tells us we can.

I like this idea, buy a scoop of fatheads and a scoop of walleye's, just don't get them confused when baiting the hook!!eek

My point is that if I could buy Five bucks worth of Fry and stock them myself I would at least be positive where ALL of my money went.

Tax dollars all seem to go MIA the Gov't is never accountable for the money they waste.

Look at the Lottery six cents of progress costs 94 cents of overhead. You want to give them more ??? Feel free.

Dollar for Dollar I am positive a private business would out perform the State. Any Day.

THESE PEOPLE who cook these ideas up are insane !the state n govt is nuthin but a bunch a crooks,tricksters n swindlers when it comes to $. They prob take the $ n run out a take a vac.I mean the economy is in the toilet right now n they want us to give $5. What the state gonna as the next great depression is soon upon us? ask for somethin else ?

Neighborguy---Nice opinion there. But that's all it is. Please don't base your support for or against the DNR and their stocking efforts based on your opinions.

Neighborguy---Nice opinion there. But that's all it is. Please don't base your support for or against the DNR and their stocking efforts based on your opinions.

Not just an opinion. A direct summary of several conversations with a fisheries biologist as well as years of experience and research while going to school (uwrf). Fry do almost nothing to help the system. They just dont survive and only serve to feed panfish and baby bass. Big fry numbers make fisherman feel good. If you are going to impact a system, fingerlings is the way to do it.

You never hear of anyone stocking trout fry do you?

So who was quick to form an opinion? I have mine (suported by facts and first hand experience). You have your's, supported by?????

All I am saying is this... If people want to waste thier money on more bait, they should do it on minnows and leaches. At least then they might get something for thier effort.

I don't want to get this thread off topic but let me just say that you haven't provided one bit of evidence other than a couple of conversations you had with whomever. I realize that fingerlings do better in SOME lakes than fry but the opposite is true as well. The shear # of fry entering a lakes system ensures that X amount will live and thrive as adults. In my opinion, I would bet that over 75% of walleye swimming in our states stocked walleye lakes are the result of a successful fry stocking program. I have no evidence of this myself---it's simply my opinion.

It's kind of a tough one, all of us replying here are all avid sportsmen, and we would all love to see more fish in our lakes, but when the DNR has to beg for $5 I think it's a shame. It's not like any of us out here couldn't afford it, but is the DNR really managing it's funds properly???? I think that part of every sportsman wants to help with fish, wildlife, and habitat, but maybe since the DNR improperly used $300,000 in state money to put on a conference, they don't deserve the support of us.