• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trapping - What did you catch today. 2008

leechmann

I unload the coon every day. Usally have a skinner but not with this years prices, sell them whole. The other stuff goes in deep freeze till cat season ends..

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• protrapper

• walleyes12

• GOOSEBILLY

• rattlem'up

1 mink yesterday. Had to pull everything over the weekend. Wow, the snow kind of froze up everything this morning, didn't even see a track.

Protrapper, what are you getting for the coon, if you don't mind saying? How does the fur look on the mink and rats?

Not enough thats for sure, more than most guys, any less and I wouldnt waste my time.. The mink just started to look good, and the rats are so so, they don't prime till late, but im sure you knew that already..

Got 4 muskrats, 1 opossum, and one gray fox this weekend. I expected some more, but did also manage a doe with a bow and 3 greenheads and a goose. Hard to run a long line and also keep the bird dogs going, not at the same time.

with the year that you had the most success, how many animals did you trap??? any of you guys keep a running count?

In the early 80's dad and me ran a large line on a large swamp and the one year we had 2200 muskrats and a bonus mink. We only trapped rats and we only went about 300 yards on the each side of the dock.

Froggy

Got a nice red fox this morning, how do you get pictures on this post? I can't figure it out

thats nuts. do you remember how much you were getting for the rats at that time? Man i gotta buckle down and get and traping liscence and get out there. It will give me more specimens to boost my taxidermy hobby also.

If you don't mind, what do you use for bait on coyotes. Thinking of trapping on my brothers farm, its only 8 acres but the yotes are waking him up on the mornings.

Unless you are a seasoned trapper, at this time of year, you can do your best and the coyotes will still be waking him up!

At this point in the trapping season, all the sick, crippled and crazy coyotes are gone. The pups have been hit pretty good and the remaining are blooded pups that have been educated, the smart old dogs and wiley females.

Probably would have better luck trying to shoot em and weither you are trapping, or shooting, or both, you would not get the whole crew. Once you start whittling em down, they just move away. But after a time, whatever drew the first ones will entice the next batch also....hard to get rid of coyotes. Probably easier to try to learn to enjoy the music!

That's really cool that you can get your kids out with you bigg edd!!!

You guys that trap have my respect. I used to help a friend out years ago and it ain't an easy hobby, that's for sure. I did trap one woodchuck this summer that decided to make his home under my garage and started digging up the garden. grin

Would any of you trappers be willing to share some info on trapping. Couple buddies and I are just starting to trap and have some idea what were doing but would like to know how others are setting there traps and where, what to look for. We have caught a few coon and opossums but would like to catch more and other animals as well.

Any info would be awsome.

My email is breakdown55336 at hotmail dot com

thanks

The girls have been trapping with me since day one. They both love it. I don't run a very long line, two hours in the am and I am done. I started on the family farm when I was nine and it's something I wanted my kids to experience. I don't think it's something a lot of kids get to do anymore. As long as they want to go i will take them.

My oldest wanted to take a coyote pelt for show-and-tell at school. i told her maybe after it's tanned.

She gets mad because little sis gets to go every am with me to check traps and she has to go to school. First thing when she gets home she wants a report of what we caught.

Ya done good Bigg Edd, enjoy it while you can. My three boys used to come with me all the time on the trapline, the oldest even trapped on his own for a short time, but now, for all three of them, it is just a memory....for their pop to! Sometimes life takes you in different directions then where you think you may be going! I thought I'd always be a trapper?

Used to do that to once in awhile myself coon hunt behind dogs...had a friend that ran of all things, Norweigan Elk hounds....little huskie squat dogs with a curled tail? They were some kind of Norweigan dogs, they weren't hounds in the true sense.

They were the trailers and tree'ers...really good at what he trained em to do....he had a little redbone that was the kill dog...that little sucker would grab and kill wounded coon that looked to be as big as he was! Grab em by the neck and shake em like they were little tube socks!

That used to be fun! At the time, I could put up with the late night hustle, long hunts, bloody shins, being whipped in the head by branches, (Once I had about a 7 pound ear of dried field corn whip back and hit me across the bridge of the nose...didn't put me down but I bled for a good 10 minutes! I thought a Sasquash had punched me from the dark corn row!) falling down chasing the dogs and all the rest that goes with it, mud, dirt, water, it was all good.