• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What's the word?

Last year when all that rain came late Oct. an pushed levels way up an clarity way low, we had to move in an hug the shoreline in six feet of water, an rip jig. It seemed that a bulrush shoreline was the ticket an anchor an cast you jig out rip jig back to the boat, the wallys would just crush it, that saved the weekend with nice 18 inchers limited out. Boar

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• bapperpimp

• CANOPY SAM

• PDOGG

I went up Friday AM and was on the water by 11:00am. Back in our cabin by 12:30. Seven guys all with limits. Biggest was 25" many 23", 22". Ate one heck of a meal Friday night. In the Bar at Bayview there was no word of anyone catching too many fish. I guess we must have been in the right spot at the right time. Went out on Saturday morning to fill the limits and it took 45 minutes. Between seven guys and 2 hours and 15 minutes we boated at least 90 fish. What a blast. Best MEA weekend I have had in 20 years of going there. Also boated 10 sturgeon. Biggest was 49"

Did you fish the lake or the river? Any depths you want to share?

This was in the river. 20 feet pink and white 1/2 jig. If I give anymore info you better pick me up on the way. No net boy!!!!

Colonel42, thanks for the info. I have some other buddies that have been fishing the river in 19 fow with gold jigs and doing fairly well also. I am heading up on Friday and will be fishing on Sat and Sun. Hope the weather holds for us. Colonel, I will have room for one more in the boat...

No net boy? Is that comment made for me? If so, I have no idea what that means.

Bapper where are you staying? We will be at the Dutchman sat,Sun,Mon nights.

Northlander, I have a trailer at Arnesen's so I stay at my place there whenever I go up. I would guess we will unload either by Morris Point if we plan on fishing the Morris Point gap or at the public access if we plan on fishing the river area. I have heard both bites have been fairly strong. We will stop at Log Cabin Bait to get some live shiners Saturday morning to go along with our frozens. If you see a Warrior V193 with a 200 hp with 3 guys in it, give me a holler.

Bob

My group did well just up from Ships Wheel Resort, and a few other inlets in that area.Gorgeous weather last weekend!

If you see a Warrior V193 with a 200 hp with 3 guys in it, give me a holler.

I'll be the one drooling while you go by!! Sweet ride minus the steering wheel!

We will have 1 group in a Maroon 20' ranger with a 225 yammy on it and PDOGG and myself will be in my Gheto ride. Its a 17' Lund Explorer with a 15 yammy 4 banger on it.

OOps I mean 115 Yamaha 4 stroke not a 15. That wouldnt be good.

If it dont Ill never hear the end of it I know that much. grin

Im not too worried though. One guy cant jig and the other guy ties bad knots. whistle

Northlander, i'll crack a coors light with ya in the parking lot at the dutchman after a long day on the river. Our group will be up there fri sat sun. we are in a green sylvan with a 60 tiller.

Jumpstart we are in room #7 and I drive a maroon F-150 that will have $600 in front end work and another $400 in new tires on it. mad You will know it when ya see it.

I knew I should have traded it in when truck prices fell as gas went up. Oh well I have to hang onto it for another 6 months longer now.

We can share a brew and see who did what.

Bring your lng johns. BRRRR its going to be a tad bit nipply. shocked

Northlander and PDogg, I will keep an eye out for you and the big Ranger. Where do you think you will start on Saturday morning? We haven'e decided if we will start in the river or over by Morris Point. Drop me a line at robert dot nathe at target dot com if you want to exchange cell numbers. Usually, 2 heads (or should I say boat crews) are better than one.

Northlander, i'll crack a coors light with ya in the parking lot at the dutchman after a long day on the river.

If you want coor's light better bring your own. I won't have any of that flu-flu beer. J/K

I thought Northlander might chime in he'll have a better idea were we will be starting and such. I do know we are taking his boat which is the white Lund explorer with a 115. I'll send you an email and get your number we should have a nice network of boats working together up there!

PDogg, sounds good. I have some buddies fishing on Friday so we are hoping to hook up with them for a report and if all goes well, have a good read on the fish for Saturday.

Im waiting to get the best reports and we will launch wherever I got the best reports from. I like the Frontier area but will travel anywhere.

My boat is a BLACK Lund Explorer 17' with a 115 yamaha 4 stroke. Im the big ugly guy driving and Ill have on my Red/black Arctic Armor and either or orange stocking cap or a red bomber hat. Ill be the guy reeling in 25-33" walleyes one after another.

PDOGG will be the guy netting all those HOGS. cool

I have no problem netting 25"-33"'s for you all day that would be GREAT! As long as I can catch my limit of eater's and 1 for the wall!!!! smile

My bad on the boat color NO idea why I thought it was white. Maybe it's cuz of all the snow that will be on it Sunday? crazy

Bapperpimp you have mail. Send me your info to my e-mail addy below.

Hey DOGG its always 65 and sunny in my boat. cool

Northlander, I sent you my info. Lets hope we can get some fish going this weekend. Hope to see you Saturday. I will be the guy in the Warrior with the orange stocking cap on holding a beer in one hand and a rod in the other.

Bob

Hey DOGG its always 65 and sunny in my boat. cool

Well if your always reeling in 25"-33" er's I can see why it would seem like that! grin

Probably not quite as warm for the net guy though! confused

Your lucky too I have some mad skills on the net lot's of practice netting but not so much catching1 crazy

Wow! Did the wind blow on the river as hard as it did down here in TRF? If so, I can't imagine anyone was even able to stay on the river. We had gusts easily over 50 mph, and sustained winds all day in the high 20's to low 30's.

I feel sorry for anyone who attempted any hunting or fishing on Sunday. How were things on the big river on Saturday?

we were up there friday and saturday, fishing was not gangbusters like the resort guys told us. We fished from the church to the gap and had a tough time getting our limit. We caught 10 on friday and the other 6 saturday afternoon when the weather got nice. Tons of small fish everywhere.

We were there sat, sun and part of today. WINDY to say the least. Worst fishing I have ever had on the Rainy River. Man was there some waves in 4 mile and the gap area!

We fished on Saturday from about 10-4 and had 12 keepers. We fished the Morris Point Gap for most of the day until we got blown off the lake. We caught over 100 fish easily but the vast majority of them were 8 inchers. Went to the river later in the day and found more little ones. Planned on fishing Sunday but the wind hindered that idea so we stayed at the cabin and watched football and did chores. Pretty slow compared to years past. We talked to several other crews that are no rookies to the fall bite and was slow for them too. Next time I am up will be on the ice. Good luck to the guys still fishing.

Wingding? Fisky? Tell me the good news. The really good run is just getting fired up? How about Dutchman, what's the word? This week of steady weather should really get things hummin'. laugh

I've got a buck that says the best walleye action is gonna be hitting about the third week in November. Right about the time the first heavy snow settles on 99.9% of the boat covers in MN.

Based on past years performance, and what we've been seeing this year with the late spring (Cut Foot Sioux closed on the opener confused), smokin' late summer bite on LOW, and tons of cigars in the Gap and river now, I still think the real bite is at least three weeks late.

People are catching decent fish if they put their time in, but snappin' 18-20 inch fish are still a little tight-lipped. Are they in the river and biding their time, or are they still yet to move in big numbers?

Since this is a forum where we should, from time to time, share advice, I'd encourage anglers to strike out with a little more aggressive tactics for better quality fish.

Can't share specifics, but I used to be a die-hard jigger until a good friend of mine finally convinced me to start dragging crank-baits. I knew the big eyes would welcome a big meal at this time of year, but I never imagined how big.

Suffice to say, don't be shy about putting the 1/2 ounce jigs away and trolling some balsa about the size of your hand. shocked You'll be amazed at what lurks beneath the surface of the Rainy, and how consistently you can boat more and bigger fish.

Big Shiners work, but they're pretty expensive nowadays, and it hurts to unload a bucket full of em' on 9-inch walleyes. Just a little tip, ;)try handing em' a bait that's almost as big as they are. You won't be wasting your time, and $$$ on 9-inch walleyes anymore.

Now someone please tell me, "What's the word?" I'll be up on Saturday morning thru Sunday late afternoon. Likely running a pathetic little duck boat, with my #1 son, up by Birchdale. The weather should be ripe for tanning, and an "early morning dip". With any luck we'll be doing a fish fry in the Birchdale campground Saturday night, behind a white Chevy Suburban around 6:00 p.m. All FM'rs are welcome. BYOB, and fish. I'll gladly fry em' up for ya'.

Beverage!!! Beverage!!! You were thinking booze, weren't you? grin

• 2 weeks later...

It seems as though everything in regards to fishing is running 3 weeks behind. I'm heading up to Rainy on Friday evening and we'll be there through the weekend. I think with the consistently cool weather this past week we should see some better action. I'm hoping the wind will stay tolerable. I think we'll be doing some jigging with shiners along with some gulp. I think I might try some cranks for the heck of it as well. This is my first trip to Rainy so I'm pretty excited after driving by it I don't know how many times on the way to LOTW. Anyone have any suggestions on cranks/colors? I was thinking of some Rap DT's along with some Deep Thundersticks? I'll keep an eye out for ya' Canopy. Good luck out there!