• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Duck Reports?

Great opener for us to limited out both days with Mallards, Woodies and shoovlers. Passed on some teal because a big flock of mallys were ready to drop in. Got two out of that group. Exciting weekend!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• icefishing21

• Gordie

• dan z

• jhanks50

Hey Roosterslayer, what part of the state did you hunt in to see that many birds? I usually hunt close to home (west metro)and I would really like to start venturing out to see more birds. Could you point me in the right direction? Ken

today was slow to start but ended up with 2 mallards,3 woodies,1 shoveler and 1 honker.

Got love the rain days and no work . I'll stand in the rain all day but wont work in it grin

holy hannah roosterslayer! looks like you guys had a great opener. that mush have been a great time!

Yea it was definatly one of my top three hunts ever! I had to keep telling myself I was in MN, it sure felt like NoDak. smile Ken- I was hunting in Southern MN, thats about all the info I can give you. I talked to other guys in the area that dident do so well, it depended on where you were. Scouting was the key, I actually hunted an area I had never hunted before. I never have my opener spot set in stone, I figure that out in september after long hours of scouting. Legwork, legwork, legwork is really the key.

Thank You Roosterslayer. That was all the info that I was looking for and I wouldn't expect anything more. Thanks again, Ken

Slow was the word for us. Pond we hunted was full of ducks on fri. Once season opened all we had coming in were wood ducks. Most woodies I have ever seen however,some flocks had 20 birds in them. Was fun just watching them buzz the deeks. We were near Graceville. Sunday was also slow. Also it seemed there were few geese in the area we were in.

First duck opener for me, we shot our limits both days....but we were in NoDak! It was great out there!

hunted the last two days with some buddies. shot 3 bw teal,1 mallard, 1 wooduck, 1 pintail, and 3 honkers.

my buddy went out in savage yesterday to do a little pass shooting before school. they ended up getting a couple of teal. they probably could of shot alot more but he said they got buzzed by like 20 teal. dang things comeout of no where down by where we hunt

Thats what I love about teal no time to think just react and get on them and squezze the trigger.

The only thing better is and flock of ringbills coming in at Mach 1 on the first pass over the decoys.

yeah i agree, on sunday we had about 15 teal come buzing through in the first 5 minutes so fast i think we only got like 4 shots total at them. oh well its pretty fun that way because it keeps you ready. if your not ready its hard to get shots off

My group of 3 ended up with 33 ducks and one banded teal. It was a typical MN opener with teal all over the place we had a few mallards and gadwalls mixed in to

I see more ducks and geese in the city. Im getting ready to throw them a handful of corn with a couple sleeping pills mixed in.....lol

My 2 sons and I went this morning had great shooting from 7 to 8 and that was it, 4 woodducks 2 great looking drakes , my one son shot his first drake woodie 2 hens and 1 teal, missed a few mallards what a nice day on the river again.

me lubey and his dad went up to ashby for 2 days and on saturday we shot one ringer and this morning we went out again and shot 9 ducks. a couple mallards, some ringers, and a hooded merganser. we are going back up there around noon on wednsday untill sunday so hopefully we will do pretty good over those 4 days

I returned from duck camp in WC MN after 4 days of hunting. Thursday and Friday were fabulous hunts, limits not a problem. Mallards, pintails, redheads, teal, bluebills, ringbills were primary populations. Also saw LOTS of canvasbacks, the most I've ever seen. Pintails were very plentiful, most I've ever seen too.

We had so many cans that we had to be really careful on shots....it got to the point we'd have to get the ducks to land so we could get a full view of species. Passed on many easy shots because with the clouds, rain and background we couldn't ID the best when the birds were on the fly.

Saturday was a tough day. T-storms hunkered the birds down and we saw them rafting in big numbers away from hunters. Still managed to take some birds.

Sunday was rain and sounded slow. Slept in.

I couldn't help but notice the lack of hunters on this body of water. There was only 3 other groups of hunters where we usually deal with at least 20 on a weekend. Unreal....

Saw my first Tundra Swans too. There is a migration going on.....we haven't even had a hard frost yet here.

ChuckN,

I'm heading up to Barnesville (1/2 way between Fergus Falls and Fargo)on Tuesday through the weekend. It sounds like you were not far from this area. I'm actually trying to figure out where to hunt on Wednesday. I plan on bringing the boat.

I'd love to hunt an area where my 7 year old son could see some can's even though we can't shoot any. I don't want to internet scout but would love to know the "GENERAL" area you were in. I'm not asking you to show me the X as that would be pretty sad on my part. I'm not affraid to run through an extra tank of gas scouting and plan to do so.

Thanks and if this post came across as me trying to internet scout, I apologize.

I hunted my usual private lake SE of Hugo both mornings this past weekend. This spot has traditionally always been good for wood ducks, mallards and geese passing between ponds and fields in the area. Saturday did not disappoint, saw tons of birds, but few would commit to my decoys. I missed every shot... It was a sad day...

Sunday morning had far fewer birds flying, and even fewer coming to the decoys. We took one wood duck and 2 geese though.

wallter-

No need to apologize, this is a "duck report" post. grin I was far from Barnesville, far south. If you want to travel far I could clue you in. Otherwise I have some options for you in this general area. Shoot me a message chunord at yahoo dot com

Only got out on Saturday morning. Two of us shot two wood ducks, bw teal and one mallard. It's was extremely slow for us. We saw 3 flocks of ducks all morning and one flock of geese. Most of the local ducks where I hunt seem to be pushed out and the ones we saw are getting smart.

We hunted in the general Remer area last weekend. We had decent hunting, but saw tons of ringbill flying. All we got were ringers, which was nice as we didn't have to worry about bills or cans. But the amounts of birds we saw flying was pretty incredible. My 11 YO grandson shoot his first flying bird and it was 100% him, so that was the coolest part of the weekend. smile

I would agree that some sort of migration is on, as we saw tons of the really high flying V's and they all seemed to move through together. Everything stopped by about 8 am though.

Heading to NoDak this weekend for a long weekend.

I would agree that some sort of migration is on, as we saw tons of the really high flying V's and they all seemed to move through together. Everything stopped by about 8 am though.

I was with BoxMN and would agree with the migration thing. While we saw a crapload of ducks and had some good action, we never heard many other shots. We also put a few miles on to try to find where they were all headed and we never saw a single duck sitting on a lake.

The ringer's might be migrating (as they do migrate early in the year). Please let me know when you see thousands of mallards migrating.

Thanks

the early birds are migrating bwt, ringers,gadwalls,wigeons but I think it is a short first wave as sunday was really slow on the slough.

I had noticed some new mallards in the are as also a shatload of woodies. Geese to for that matter, lots of little lessers.

Saturday, A friend and I hunted in the Faribault area, one of the memorable days I've ever had, took 2 banded Honkers out of 2 different flocks(can't quite figure out how to download pics) and 4 different species of ducks that included Woodie, Mallard, Widgeon and GW Teal

We didn't limit out that day but we didn't care, 5 different species of birds and 2 bands, another strange thing about this hunt was most all the birds were taken after 9:00am

iwent out today with my dad my brother and buddy cole (eyes05). we hunted on some public land out in savage on rice lake and ended up getting one male woody. alot of people shooting out on rice lake. it was a pretty good hunt. hopefully tommorow will be good.

saturday was slow but saw tons of ducks high in the sky but I managed my 1 bluebill limit and that was it for the day should had alot more ducks but it was just one of those cant hit a thing days. HOPE thats over with for the year.

sunday ducks didnt cooperate with my decoys and I changed things three times thru out the day and only ended up with two 1ringneck and one widgoen drake thats going on the wall.

this morning got 2 honkers and this evening 1bw teal 3gw teal and 1 mallard first evening hunt and it was great.