• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rage's are a must

Guest Kyle

don't get me wrong, i do love rage broadheads. but i think the problem with them is their selling point is the fact of such large cutting diameters, and the massive blood trails. this makes it sound like you can shoot a deer anywhere and it will die. one cant stress enough that shot placement is the most crucial in harvesting a deer. many of us here have said it, but it seems like a lot of people forget that fact. If you're not holding tight groups at the range, then stick with a fixed blade broadhead. chances are way better that if you hit that tough shoulder, the end result will be a harvest, not 6 hours on the blood trail coming up empty handed. think about it, a well placed shot with a field point would do a deer in, however, not legal. ever wonder why they aren't!

then there won't be so many stories of deer hit in the shoulder and never found. i'd bet almost any bow hunter you'll talk to has lost a deer, and chances are that good ol shoulder blade was the culprit.

kinda like perch hinted at, ribs shouldn't affect a thing with an arrow. after all, what you need to shoot is completely surrounded by them.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Christianson

• vister

• harvey lee

• 96trigger

So dont risk it then Perch....Your missing out though. I simply posted this because the success I have had with them has been far better than I ever expected. They will take any shot to another level that just wasnt possible before. So many people are so scared to try something new...fear of innovation. I think its great if something works for you and that is what you are comfortable with, however, say you shoot a deer with the broadhead you are comfy with, and the deer dies within 50yds. The rage will do it in half that. I am very very color blind, and I have literally had someone point out blood to me and still couldnt see it, so the less tracking I have to do the better. Thats what it comes down to for me-how long will I have to search, because it will take me 3 times longer to find my deer than anyone else. Granted, I shot my bow a TON this summer getting ready for the season, and ya, I have consistantly been shooting very well for a long time now, so that defineately has something to do with it. Having said that, some of you out there are telling me that it has more to do with my shot than anything. In my eyes, if you are one of those people that cannot seem to put the arrow in the same place every time, then you should be shooting a rage. They are absolutely no different than shooting your field points, and they are going to do the most damage possible. this is going to take your bad shot and give it the best possible outcome for a shot like that...something that other broadheads just cant compete with.

Next year I will try something else...I like to change it up and compare. That is part of the fun of getting ready to hunt...

although i agree with hunter4life for the most part, i do not agree with the fact that someone who cannot hit the same spot everytime should be shooting rage's. i will admit i have never shot a rage but being an expandable i think if you hit the deer in the shoulder you will not get enough penetration with the rage therefor i do not think someone who cannot shoot consistent should be shooting an expandable. But for the most part i agree with you hunter4life

I disagree. People talk about not getting enough penetration. I dont know what people think it is going to take to kill a deer? If you shoot a deer in the shoulder, its going to die. You may not get a pass through, or even a double lung, but that deer is going to die. I had a complete pass through this year and one that stuck into the opposite shoulder. There was more blood with the deer than had the arrow in its opposite shoulder than the one that had the pass through, and it died quicker. The rage cuts more than any other broadhead, so it doesnt it makes sense that a person that may not have a perfect shot should use a broadhead that cuts the most? I think so... i just dont see how people are having penetration issues. That broadhead cut through those bones like butter.

Im going to use a muzzy 100grain 4 blade on the next deer I kill...I'll let ya know what I think about it if I get that opportunity to compare the two broadheads. Rage and Muzzy.

I'm going to have to disagree. I shot a deer a nice buck through the front shoulder and got stuck in the other side. Never found the deer 1 week later my dad shoots the buck! where the arrow broke off (inside the deer)and stuck into his shoulder It only nicked both lungs. I would have thought it was enough but it wasn't. I always feel better when its a complete pass through. whether its through the shoulder or right behind the shoulder. I dont know though. I dont shoot rage or muzzies so who knows I think it is all preference

my point proven with hh guide. you could stick it in the opposite shoulder and still not kill the deer. and penetration i beleive is a huge issue. if you only get a few inches of penetration i find that it causes a problem for the average hunter. Im not saying rage has a bad broadhead. All this topic boils down to is preference hunter4life. my preference is magnus, yours is rage. They both work for us.

if you go to youtube there is a guy who shot a deer in the butt with rage broadhead how can you miss so far back?

Ahh more rage fun. Penetration may be an issue if you are shooting 40lbs but I have shot a Rage that went through 2 ribs on the way in and 2 on the way out so I don't see any penetration issues there. Now if you are hitting bone (not ribs)or the shoulder blade that is just a plain old bad shot and no broadhead is going to be better than the other.

A little deer anatomy pic for reference.

58_6272003234051.jpg

Quote:
If you shoot a deer in the shoulder, its going to die.

Absolutely NOT. The shoulder blades thicken with age. The difference between a mature deer and yearling is huge. I hit a large mature doe in the shoulder blade last fall... had a little over 4" of penetration. I shoot 70# and I'm a 30" draw. Arrow busted off and I had poor blood that I was able to follow out to 200 yds. I'm pretty confident that whoever harvests that deer will find my broadhead imbedded in her shoulder.

I have no idea how a guy can miss that far back. Sounds like operator error to me. Dont get me wrong everyone, there are alot of really effective broadheads out there, and like I said, Im not one to only shoot one kind so...we'll see what happens on the next deer if I get another chance. Im fizzled out of comments for this topic...Now Im just beating a dead horse, and I dont work for the company, so I guess I dont care if people shoot them or not, I was just more or less stating that they are amazing. Good luck to everyone this season!

i think its starting to be a bit too much bickering back and forth on this topic on something that is only personal preference. just like who makes a better bow, or whose truck is the best. i myself would highly recommend rage to anyone who wants to try them out. especially if you are a decent shot.

my fiance' is a pretty decent shot herself, 6 inch groups at 30 yards. however, buck fever sets in, whether it be buck or doe, and she gets so excited she usaully misses, or something else goes wrong. it doesn't bum her out because she is so pumped to have deer in that close. she shoots muzzy mx4s i believe. she was impressed with damage my rage did and wanted a set for herself. but she has decided to shoot the muzzys until she becomes more relaxed with the close deer, because she is worried she may eventually hit a deer, and it may be in the shoulder, so she wants to make sure she gets penetration, although she is shooting 49 lbs of draw.

granted she isn't really worried she may hit one, just might not be able to get the results we all want if she hits a tough bone.

i have tried probably a dozen types of heads, and the end result is rage 2 blade ranking #1, with G5 stryker fixed a close second.