• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rage's are a must

Guest Kyle

Quote:
I love the rage, but this shows shot placement is the key not the broadhead.

Well yeahhh.

Sounds like your deer was gutshot and most likely is lying dead not too far from where you last jumped her.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Christianson

• vister

• harvey lee

• 96trigger

I'll bet she's hit in the guts, but will die. right around the 1/4 mile range, just gotta keep looking for her, but if she jumps even the next day, she may make it.

What happens on shoulder shots of a mature buck with rages? I contemplate switching but just don't know.

Shot my first deer this weekend with the Rage 2 blade.

Holy hanner what an entrance wound.

Now the odd thing was the exit wound was smaller. I didnt find the arrow, and still am scratching my head on that.

Oddly enough we found a blade in the leaves. The broadhead came apart at some point in the pentration. That would explain the smaller exit wound I guess.

So my first experience with Rage is impressed as heck, and at the same time disappointed.

Impressed - blood trail was crazy good

Disappointed - broadhead fell apart, and it only hit ribs on the entrance. The exit wound was parrallel to the ribs and went right between.

i'm guessing with enough arrow speed, they'll still get the job done. even more likely just behind the shoulder. i am a firm believer in rage, as they do the job. however, one would complain that they don't get the penetration of a fixed blade.

they advertise the deepest penetration in the ballistics gel. but, if a deers vitals were protected by the gel, then anything would work. too many strong bones for rages to get complete pass throughs. unless the blades deploy vertically, then they could sneak through the ribs without slowing down.

if you're worried about penetration, try the three blade rage. a lot smaller cutting diameter, but just as effective.

only sounds like a problem if you plan on re-using your broadhead. kinda odd you found a blade outside of the deer. more than likely it broke with the deer running through the woods.

I shoot 70lb draw but man I don't wanna see a buck running away with 3 inches of penetration. I think I am going to switch I'll just make sure I get ribs.

Vister,

The blade was within feet of the shot.

Besides, I wouldnt think a deer running with an arrow sticking out of it, could catch something and make the broadhead fall apart. If it caught on something that solid, it would surely pull the arrow through, versus the broadhead falling apart.

UMD,

I dont have a clue about the rollpin or set screw. I didnt know they made different ones... smirk

it is a screw. thats how you can replace the blades. was the blade broke, or intact. if intact, the screw broke

I figured it was a screw. Whats the rollpin UMD is asking about?

Blade was fully intact.

Ive had pass throughs with the rage 3 blade, no problem there. I did have one tip curl over, but I'll take that any day with the ease of finding my deer 20yds from where I killed it. My other two I simply sharpened and will use them again.

Oddly enough we found a blade in the leaves. The broadhead came apart at some point in the pentration. That would explain the smaller exit wound I guess.

same thing happened to me. i've heard from others that have had the same thing happen.

of the 4 deer i've shot w/ rage over the last two years only 1 was i happy with the result. it was a poor shot that was back to far but that huge cutting diameter messed the deer up.

i'm going back to muzzy, i've always been happy with them.

I swirtched and have had very good luck and all the others in our party shoot them and they also have been very happy with no problems to date. All two blades.

As far as a shoulder hit goes, each hit is different and one needs to hope for the best.

I feel like we are beating a dead horse with this topic. I know i brought it up, but we are at the point now where we are just repeating what we said 11 pages ago...

I think I went and bought Rage because of this topic. LOL

They are one heck of a good broadhead thats for sure. Hitting bones like the ribs and spine will seriously affect penetration, but will also leave a major blood trail.

A shouler bone hit with any broadhead is bad business, but that is where a fixed blade may get the job done. In that same situation a expandable will fold more often than not.

Bottom line is correct shot placement works everytime.

I have shot 3 deer this year with Rage 2 blade and ever one was a complete pass through. I shoot around 64 lbs pull and as said placement is the most important.

One thing that does concern me is on the entrance hole which, is large the internal vitals bulged(to the size of a tennis ball) this stoped the blood flow. This didn't happen on the first deer because the shot was straight through the vital's. The bulging ones were going away shot which put the entrance further back on the body. The exit wound had lots of blood flow.

The other thing that happened is when replacing the front tip blade the hex screw striped out. Havn't figgured out how to get the screw out yet.

I put my 1st rage in the cage last week...I hope this is an indication of what it to come with future rage deer.

I shot the deer at 15 yards shooting down hill the hit was good a little high but clipped both lungs with the rage 2 blade the deer ran 100 yards before expiring. There was no exit hole and suprisingly being hit a little high it was the best blood trail i have ever followed with only 1 hole hit high.

The blood trail was 3 to 5 feet wide for most of the trailing! Absolutely awesome, so after I skun the deer out I took a tape measure to the entrance wound it was 3 1/8 inch I suppose it maybe had torn open a little more running through the brush!

Absoulutley dynamite can't wait to baptize another one with the rage!

hey i just bought some havent tried them out but sometimes when i knock my arrow and walk around all of a sudden i look down and the blade is not locked in place anymore? anyone else get this problem im afraid it might open in flight before it hits?

You have to push them in until the little open space opposite side the sharp edge of the blade locks down in the rubber o-ring. I questioned that at first also then luckily figured it out. Bumping the broadhead on things will knock them loose. This little quirk is what allows the blades to expand as well as they do; so its a good thing. It also makes one alot more carefull about bumping the arrow on things, and knowing where the arrow is pointing at all times. Having this in the back of your mind will allow one to be more quiet when raising and re-situating the bow in the stand(not bumping tree limbs etc..) for a shot.

that is going to be a problem with rage heads. you can't stalk hunt or walk in the woods with them, as a blade or two will come loose after bumping something. even after nocking in the stand and getting everything all set up, you should still double check that they are locked in place

That is about the only negative I've found with them. But if I'm still-hunting, I'm moving pretty slow and deliberate, and not too likely to get my arrow twisted in brush. But it does happen now and then. I stuck a young doe at Ripley last week. Shot was 28 yds I was on the ground. She was quartering away, and the arrow entered in front of the hind leg and exited behind the opposite front. She made it maybe 15 yards. Both wounds looked like a fixed 3-blade went thru. Found the arrow a couple steps before her. Was not a complete pass thru, but dang close. I think the head must have caught on some brush and pulled it completely thru. Maybe why one blade was bent? Who knows. It worked. Although I didn't need blood to track, there was plenty.

Ok let me shed some light on the rage broadheads that have "fallen" apart after impact. I was talking to an employee of the rage broadhead facility, (not rage itself but fieldlogic) and he said that a recent batch (don't know specific times), he said they got "discount" roll pins to hold the blades in and was not to the correct specs. Once the broadheads would enter the body the friction of the blades will crunch or roll the pin together like you would a newspaper thus reducing its diameter and letting the blades pop out. I have seen the new ones and they have one beefy looking pin holding them in. I have the original version with the set screw.

Brass,

Thats exactly what they told me.

They said send back my heads and they will replace them.

Works for me.

i now carry a FIXED BLADE broadhead that I use when walking,stalking, something other than not in my stand or spot. once i get situated I then knock an arrow with a rage expandable. I did this before with my other expandables too because once in a while i would catch the blade on a branch and it would either break the rubberband or pull it back. I cant wait to try the rage broadheads and see the damage in action. I just havent had a Candidate yet

Rage broadheads sound very lethal but i dont think i could step away from my magnus stinger buzzcuts. I have found no other broadhead that flies the exact same as my field points until i used magnus. If i was to go with an expandable broadhead though, i do believe id use rage. The only problem i see with expandables of any kind is what if you hit shoulder? are you going to get enough penetration? These are just a few things that scare me from using expandables of any kind. And hunter4life it sounds like it doesnt matter what broadheads you use if ur shooting that good!

i still say why risk it? My fixed blades dont "fall open" and theres never any question of whether or not they will open on impact!!!

if you can guarantee that you make a perfect shot everytime on a deer expandables are no problem. but if u hit a shoulder be willing to admit you would have killed it with a fixed blade broadhead

There was a couple guys on this thread that even admitted that they had penetration issues when shooting through a rib!! A RIB!!!! The deer i shot last week blasted right through ribs on both sides AND stuck 8" into the ground. Thats the kind of penetration i like to see