• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy Lake GPS map chips

I have both GPS map chips shown in the pictures.

The Navionics chip is basically a digitized copy of the big paper maps plus a high definition of Kabetogama (plus a whole bunch of smaller lakes like Pelican by Orr). The Lake Master is a high def of Rainy (less Red Gut Bay) plus south half of LOW.

At first, I was very impressed with the new Lake Master chip. But the more I use it on the North Arm the more major errors I discover.

The area south and west of Pot Island is a good example. The paper map shows mostly shoals in this area. The Lake Master chip shows much more deep water than is really there. The skull and crossbones are my icons and indicate lower-unit eaters where the chip indicates 16-20 feet of water.

Lake Master also shows two major reefs east of Risky Island. The paper map shows just one and that is all that is there. The phantom reef is on the LM chip just west and south of the real reef. Instead of 30-40 feet of water, there is actually 90!

The LM chip does show some previously unmarked mid-lake reefs and is useful for those. But the poor definition around shorelines leaves much to be desired. Now the high def map of Kab by Navionics is another story. Te few times I have used that one were excellent. If the Navionics chip says 12 feet so will your depth finder. Ignore your depth finder around Pot Island and rely on the LM chip and you will be needing a new lower unit.

I saw several Navionics boats out plotting Rainy last week. They were working the area just south of the railroad bridges leading to North Arm. The were being VERY thorough. Not just making passes down the middle. They would drive the boat right up to shore at close intervals. Now I know why the Navionics high def of Kab is so accurate.

I hope they are going to map the entire lake. If so, I will be first in line to buy one of their chips. But if they are not doing my favorite North Arm, it won't do me much good.

mapchips.jpg

I just have a garmin recreational lakes maps east/cent for free off the internet...seems slightly less detailed than the lakemaster, but Im not complainin since it was free.

I talked to 3 of the Navionics guys last week and they are only doing the US side...... and losing props and an occasional lower unit like we lose jigs.

They estimate they'll be done in 4 weeks. I also advised them to stop in to our local tackle shops to get feedback on what improvements they could make on what's already available.

Thanks Capt. John, My brother has the LM and I the NV. I was guilty of chip envy this summer when were in your beloved Norht Arm. I'm glad I didn't run out and get one when we got home. We have enough trouble navigating the rocks without misinformation on our gps. I appreciate the info.

I'll add my two cents.... I too have the Lakemaster chip for LOW, Rainy River and Rainy Lake. Although I have also found quite a few errors on the chip in the north arm, I feel it is still the most accurate chip to date. I have heard that Lakemaster is continuing to remap the lake and is going to come out with an "update" including Red Gut bay and the northern part of LOW for those who have the chip already. My understanding is that is update will cost $50.00. The chip has helped me discover many spots that I would have passed up with the old maps.

JSS