• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Which breeds would you own?

2 DA GILLS

My top choices are...

German Shorthair (horseback lines)

Pointer (coverdog or shooting dog lines)

English Setter (coverdog or shooting dog lines)

Springer (field trial lines)

In addition...

If I could go through dogs until I found one I really liked I'd also throw Vizslas and Weimys in the mix too.

which breed would I own? any one thats a good one. all breeds can produce great dogs. I am partial to my Flat Coats and Llewellins though...especially when it gets really cold out. Neither care for the 50 degree pheasant days too much.

n63210485_32555407_4219.jpg

n558675303_3825793_8501.jpg

n558675303_3825791_7776.jpg

It is great that some love their current breed so much, but the subject title was which breeds would you own. I think my Griff is great as well and there are some other breeds I would own if:

- I there were no limit to the number of dogs

- I did not live in town

- I did not have to have a full-time job

- I did not have 3 children under the age of 6

- I could have a dog for each type / style of hunting I enjoy

You get the idea. This is not my breed is the best, it is what would be some other breeds I would own - if I could. Have some fun with it.

I have many britts & on a whimp, bought my 7 yr old daughter a Llewllin setter, it has turned out to be a real pleasure to work with. I also think the Clumber spaniel is cool.

Ben

I will always have a Red Setter...

But...If I could own another...and hunt as much as I want...

I would have (along with my Red Setter):

-An English Setter

-A Pointer...(English Pointer)

-And a Black Lab for duck/goose

1. English Springer (mine is 13 weeks old)

2. Lab Retriever (my dad's is a pointing lab and is the best pheasant dog I've ever hunted over, getting old now)

3. Wienmy. Never had one but would be interested in trying one.

I prefer the long hair breeds, Setters at that. Within Setters I can't imagine having anything other than an English but here's what else I'd consider:

- Gordon Setter

- Irish Setter

- Cocker Spaniel

- Large Musterlander

Got the lab, IF I could:

Bluetick

German shorthair

Walker(both treeing and running)

Trig

Plott

Some type of cur

I was thinking about getting a puppy soon. My initial want was a chessy. One of the reasons why i like this breed is because of their size and durability. But I have also heard they are high maintainance as far as needing to run A LOT. I was just wondering what people have heard about this breed, good and bad. I would also like to know if there are any breeders in mn.

I've had many GSPs and Pointers so those 2 breeds are obvious.

I'd like a Lab.

Field Springer.

I'm not a big fan of some of the exotic breeds. I've been involved w/ many of the pointing breeds form being a trainer/ handler that started out in NAVHDA and ended up in horseback AF trials. I want dogs that have a TON of natural, early instict. I culled ruthlessly as a breeder and gravitate towards breeds & lines within the breeds I had that reflect that goal.

BTW JConrad.. Bill and his late wife have been friends of ours for over 30 years. He is a devoted WPG guy & truely a good person. You could not have bought a pup from a better man.