• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2008-2009 Gophers

hamrej23

Another great finish by Westbrook. He should have had an And1 when Marcus Landry's feet were moving on the second half step on that wouldn't have made it so close down the stretch. I would have been more impressed had they held the lead the whole game, but you have to take the win. Wisconsin's defense and ability to adjust was going to prevent any sort of blow out. Beat Michigan this weekend and they're in the big dance.

Sorry to rub it in Cooter, but you've got Minnesota avatar duty for another week grin

First season sweep since 1991-1992.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott M

• Dotch

• Cooter

• hamrej23

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt, Eddie really drew the ire of the fans on that charging call he made, as well he should have. To take nothing away from Wisconsin, Landry on the pine as a result likely would've made for less drama down the stretch. Heckuva game, almost as exciting as the win at the Kohl Center. Would be nice to see them treat Michigan to a little taste of what Northwestern got this Saturday.

I had to listen to the game, at work, but it sounded great, the barn was rockin. I wish the gophers were a little better on the road they would not be a bubble team, but if they win saturday they should be in.

Saw the highlights this morning, what a hearbreak for WI. Guess I need to find that avatar with calvin taking a leek on a gopher eekcry

OK I am no basketball buff, but Iverson is terrible. He is one of the tallest/biggest guys on our team, but gets handled in the paint and can't rebound. If Westbrook were 4-5 inches taller he would already be in the NBA IMO. What is Minnesota's problem with driving to the basket? They bring it down the court and pass around the perimeter all the time. The only guy willing to bring it inside last night was Westbrook and that was late in the game. Did anyone else notice this? These guys have a long way to go or they will be looking at a first round exit in the big dance...if they make it that far. Either way, I guess it's better than last year and the year before that so there's a positive.

Yeah Iverson is just raw, only being a true freshman. He is improving though, and will be a great player next year and the years to follow.

KMR, perimeter passing and a lack of aggression have been a problem since about mid-January. Teams found out that you need to cut off drive angles and don't let perimeter defenders get split and Nolen and Westbrook will clank shots or be passive. Those are about the only 2 slashers or drive-and-dish guys Minny has. Get too tight or let them get the ball in transition and they'll tear you up. Give em space and they'll beat themselves.

When it all comes down to needing to win one game, not getting that win is heartbreaking. Gophers led almost the whole game but couldn't get the stops when it counted. They have to win at least two games in the BTT to be in.

Yeah, watching Westbrook's 3 tickle the twine after the timeout was a bummer, but I think you set up a shot with the timeout, can't argue that call.

This team couldn't figure out what Beilein likes to do. Rebound and shoot 3's. The Gophers did a great job on the boards, heck they outshot Michigan and statistically outperformed Michigan in most facets in the game. But when you once again have turnover totals approaching 20 you won't win games. So many were unforced. Then you would see Michigan guys drive and dish. At the rate the 3's were falling, it's better to give up 2 than 3. It's not high school anymore, you can't give that help if you can't close out fast enough to challenge the shot.

Poor falf court sets and turnovers are once again this team's MO. A wasted game all around, especially when you see what Sampson was able to do. This team couldn't figure out the zone...you don't beat it by passing around the perimeter. You have to attack the seams with dribble penetration or by finding cutters. Michigan loses to teams that exploit the height difference, which Minnesota had, but the fact that the MN guards couldn't do any post entry or attack the zone meant a lot of slowed down play, perimeter passing, and standing.

Lunardi and other NCAA hoops wonks were talking about 8-9 Big Ten bids...when pigs fly. They'll change their tune by next Sunday. At this point it's looking like this team peaked when they were 16-1 in mid-January and held the #18 ranking, unless they can get to the conference tournament semi's.

I disagree completely with the idea to call a timeout at the end of the game. It's pretty common practice in that situation to let your players try to get a shot in transition, giving the defense as little of a chance as possible to set up. Also, notice Tubby NEVER draws up effective plays in the huddle that result in baskets. Go back and watch the game, there were several chances for the Gophers to score off deadball/timeouts where Tubby could have put a play in. What was his play at the end, have Westbrook go back to halfcourt and dribble up to the three point line to shoot? Remember both Wisconsin games where Westbrook was given free reign to score and bring the Gophers back? No set plays!

Also, did anyone catch Penn St.'s coach after Taylor Battle went the length of the court off a free throw to win the game vs. Illinois? He said he felt better with his guard creating vs. a scrambling defense than a set defense. Tubby is a wonderful guy and a great coach, but he messed up big time.

Also, none of the guards know how to throw a post entry pass. The reason the ball never goes inside is because the passes inevitably end up getting stolen. Part of that is on the big guys, but there were a couple of cases of this happening that even the idiot Big Ten Network announcers pointed out.

Well, we got what we deserved. First round game against Northwestern and the winner get a date with the Spartans.

My bad, WI plays Ohio St first round, winner of that plays winner of Michigan St/MN or Northwestern.

mensbracket.jpg

The brackets are looking tough for Minnesota. They should be able to take care of Northwestern, but Michigan State will once again cream them. 22 wins would again leave them on the bubble.

AugieAngler1010 brings up a good point about calling timeouts or trying to score before the defense gets set up. There are definitely two schools of thought on that one. For me, if I only need a deuce, I'm not calling the timeout. If I need 3, I want the timeout. But, there are other variables. Considering that this team cannot execute any sort of offense, perhaps asking them to run a play out of a timeout is a poor choice. Westbrook is often at his best when he is creating, this much is true. I was hoping they could loosen up Hoffarber or Abu-Shamala, but instead they wasted whatever set play they were trying to execute.

Im predictin they are in as a 10-11 seed now.. if they beat NW possibly a 9 seed in the west

Last nights games really helped them. St. Marys lost, and Sienna Won-

Time to watch NDSU tonight, hopefully they can get in!

Hopefully Butler gets a win tonight against cleveland st.

Gophers are in Either way, gauranteed.

Well, I might be able to back off saying the Gophs need to win 2. I think they need to beat Northwestern tomorrow to get in. It helps that many favorites have won conference tourney autobids. We shall see what team comes out tomorrow!

Yeah-

They are going to be on the edge either way, they win there in though they lose and the committe has to chose between them penn st, providence, san diego st, an oklahoma st and maryland and florida. so if we lose and a few of them lose their first games, we have a legit shot. Tomorrow will tell.

A win against Northwestern and a competitive showing against Mich St. if they get that far should cement their spot IMHO. It's makin' ice (again). Thought you'd be fishin'. grin

Well, a 6 point lead at the half turns into a 13 point lead for the game. Strong free throw shooting and good "D" down the stretch ensure the win. Between the 10 and 5 minute mark in the second half neither team did much of anything.

We'll see how tomorrow goes against Michigan State. I'll be cheering hard for a win but realistically I'd just like a good showing and to be competitive.

Glad to see NW's bubble burst before MN's. Nothing's certain until Sunday, but this is start to the tourney they needed.

Is the game on the radio today? The U of M schedule doesnt say anything except ESPN, nothing about radio.

To the best of my knowledge there won't be a MN radio broadcast, you might check out a MSU broadcast. Like you said, ESPN is doing the TV coverage.