• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Muskies

eyesoneyes

I have a house in Wahkon Bay and if there was some great surge of pressure lately I sure haven't seen it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PieEyed

• SJonesi

• Shack

• 2000AlaskanDC

Would it be fishing anymore if someone was to give out exact information? I see nothing wrong with giving out informaion on tactics that they used but when someone puts in the time and effort of there own to find the fish why should they give out a exact spot.

Pitchn: I'd keep your day job too. The benefit package from The Guides Association isn't what it's cracked up to be.LOL. No health insurance, no 401K, nada.$400 per trip? Gas , oil, etc..My kids need to eat too. Nuff said. Steve

I see nothing wrong with saying it was x bay. That's general and I for one appreciate that type of info. When I make it to the pond once or twice a year, it's good to hear I might get a fish there and might be worth a try for a little bit.

P.S. If you wanna give GPS, send em my way. Hehehehehe

Even if they gave you the coordinates you still wouldn't hook up with one Shane. Walli1 on the other hand.... gringringrin

Even if they gave you the coordinates you still wouldn't hook up with one Shane. Walli1 on the other hand.... gringringrin

Nice, and I take you fishing cause why????? shocked

Without using names, it's clear to me there are some entitlement issues coming to surface here from some of our family. The idea that naming then fishing exact locations on Mille Lacs isn't good practice or is harmful in general is simply false outrage. I can think of several occasions where I have actively shared specific locations on the water and done just fine anyway. Sometimes I've out-fished boats or fishing partners at ridiculous rates, and sometimes it's the other way around. But either way, the spot was there the next day and year and so it goes. As a matter of fact, after 30some years of fishing, some original "hot spots" are still hot or hotter today, and continually fished hard by many. I say relax and enjoy the right to respectfully use our lakes the way you want. Whether that's to earn a living or not.

One more point:

I'm sure before anyone goes in to the business of using public lands/water for personal gain, they have fully considered the following and have a plan in place to negate or minimize the effects of: other lake users, business overhead, lack of benefits, a poor catch, weather, etc.

I'm self employed myself and hate the idea of sharing my work space with others. But if my "desk" was also public water I would expect close company and the usual idiot to make conditions difficult. If I have a problem with others on the lake, I usually just suck it up and move on if needed. Rarely do I say anything to others on the water or post about it. To me it's a reality of public water use and either way, the spot isn't mine, guide or not, and will still be there down the road.

Seriously, relax and enjoy your time on the lake. A sense of entitlement, whether you're aware you have one or not, does nothing but make your problems worse.

It seems like the crowd is split about half and half on this one.

Well here's one more example. I could tell you guys exactly where I caught my walleye last weekend, but I guess I respect my fellow fisherman too much to do that. There were two other guys where I was last Saturday. They probably worked there butts off trying to find that spot as did I. I'm not going up there for a couple weeks but what if those other guys plan to bring out there kids or their wives this weekend to catch a few eyes and I posted that exact spot on here? They'd have quite the surprise when they got out to their little spot and as hard as the bite has been they would probably have a poor trip because of my actions. I'm not saying Wahkon Bay is an exact location, that's up for debate. I'm just saying I don't get the point in giving exacts.

Here's what I think is a good report. Myself and a buddy caught some real nice walleye last Saturday during the day. I was using bobbers and leechs. I was fishing gravel on the East side in 18'- 20'FOW. I didn't read a lot of bait fish where I was fishing and that's why I think I got them to bite.

There now you know they are bitting, roughly where to start, what to look for, and what I caught them on. Why do you need to know more than that? If I gave you an exact spot I might as well come along with you to reel em in.

I hope everyone does go to Wahkon, maybe then some of the crazies will leave "my" spot.

Seriously, people need to learn that the fun part about fishing, especially muskies, is knowing that YOU found the fish you caught. If you don't know how to find them on your own, hire a guide or read a book and learn a thing or two. In the long run you'll be miles ahead of the guys that chase reports.

I hope everyone does go to Wahkon, maybe then some of the crazies will leave "my" spot.

Seriously, people need to learn that the fun part about fishing, especially muskies, is knowing that YOU found the fish you caught. If you don't know how to find them on your own, hire a guide or read a book and learn a thing or two. In the long run you'll be miles ahead of the guys that chase reports.

The problem is people are lazy. It ia alot easier to let someone else do it for them. Its all about the numbers, how many fish get in the boat. Which dont get me worng thats kinda the point of fishing, but its what is causing all of the boating problems, with people paying no respect to others and where there fishing. Why is it that people insist on purposly pulling infront of other boats so they can fish a spot before you can?

Like you said JDW knowing that YOU found the fish is the most fun part of all. If someone is in your usual spot why cant you try to find a new one? There is no need that there should be so many problems coming from something that we all love so much! Sometimes i just dont get it anymore.

I still say to each their own. If you wanna post an area, go nuts, if you don't, that's fine too. Either one are good reports and I still don't think saying Wahkon Bay is giving that big of an advantage to anyone.

The problem is people are lazy. It ia alot easier to let someone else do it for them. Its all about the numbers, how many fish get in the boat. Which dont get me worng thats kinda the point of fishing, but its what is causing all of the boating problems, with people paying no respect to others and where there fishing. Why is it that people insist on purposly pulling infront of other boats so they can fish a spot before you can?

Like you said JDW knowing that YOU found the fish is the most fun part of all. If someone is in your usual spot why cant you try to find a new one? There is no need that there should be so many problems coming from something that we all love so much! Sometimes i just dont get it anymore.

I think a big part of the issue are these new upstarts that have the money to buy a new boat and buy all the tackle required and immediately get out on the water without having logged any real time on smaller water, or on any other water for that matter. Some of the threads on here are tough to read because these people are so clueless.

I think it would do every beginning musky fisherman a lot of good to get out with a knowledgeable guide before they do any serious fishing themselves. I learned more in one full day out on the water with Tim Anderson than I can even recall. And it took me all fall/winter to save up the money to get my gear to fish this year, during that time I watched videos, read this forum, did everything i could to gear up for this year and I've had an awesome year so far.

And i don't want to sound like I'm bashing these upper class folks that fish muskies. Just because you have money doesn't mean you're a rude fishermen. I'm just taking into account the things I've heard and seen.

HEHEHE... This is funny. Wahkon Bay is over 6000 acres in size making it a lake of its own. I cannot see how posting about a spot in Wahkon Bay would make any issue out of "giving it up". Fish move daily. Weekly, seasonally.

The original poster said Wahkon Bay. Just as an example, if i would have gone to Mille Lacs muskie fishing and hit Wahkon based on that post and knowing nothing else, i would have randomly hit the weedlines and reefs in that bay. But then one of the fellas on here that isnt happy with the posting actually said there is a zone in the bay to hit. Now i wouldnt do it, but how many people would now cling to the other boats in the bay because they might be on that hot zone. If there was damage to do in this post to that area, didnt he do as much if not more than the original post? The original poster left it open to 6000 acres.

Muskies are going nuts in Portage Bay on Leech........

Lets see if that works.

I fish Lake X, a 16,000 acre lake about a 1/2 mile from the town of Cass Lake in Minnesota, and visible from Hwy 2 to the north. Been fishing there since 1982 and I have a favorite spot. It's a relatively small spot, a weedbed about 2 acres in size. This year, I saw very few boats on it. Last year was different with boats on it all the time.

It is what it is, ladies and gentlemen. With gps chips and detailed maps, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to find spots that are condusive to hold specific types of fish.

I tried a new spot this year, one I have NEVER fished before. 26 years of never fishing this spot, and I get a 46"er. There are fish all over lakes, so if YOUR spot is crowded, fish another spot. I did this year and it paid off.

I'm glad I could give you guys something else to discuss. You're welcome. Oh, my partner and I caught a 45 in Macs today(hahahahahaha) to take 2nd in the Minnesota Muskie Trail. Got cut off 3 times , saw another boat almost run over (with his trolling motor) bobbers a couple guys had from a dock and even dodged a couple of jet ski's. Funny, kept fishing hard and when everyone left..... the fish ate. Howya like that? Persistence paid off with a $3300 fish. Steve

I would like to take moment to share another observation I have noticed during my time on FM (since we are on the subject still).

I have found the best thing to do when a spot, location or general area I have fished or caught bait in (with good luck I might add) has been posted , I just suck it up and do not post a “post” about how people should not be giving out exact information on locations. At best you get another 3-4 responses, maybe 300-400 more views until the thread hit’s the second page and is in FM history. But!!, Some might do the opposite to steer anglers off of other hot spots wink.

Now, you mention anything that derives attention to a thread, like saying “you should not mention this location“, you are up to 3000 views easy and 30 plus posts. This is FM, the smartest fisherman in MN (and the world) look into here at one point or time. I picked up on this thread for the same reasons I stated above and gave high light to this location.

A couple of tips from Shack:

1) Do not miss the Fall Frenzy at Appeldorns!

2) If you need a guide for any type of fish on Mille Lacs, call/E-mail Pat Burch

3) If you are bringing up a shack this winter, have a pull behind you want to leave up on the pond or want to head out of Cove Bay, call Jay or Amber at Wilderness Warmth.

4) Crappies on ML, e-mail or call Hunter Winfeilds. They will know where they are at!

You can click on them above this forum and get right to them.

Might as well take advantage of the popularity of this thread for our FM sponsors grin!

Good luck!

Did I mention that something broke on my motor Saturday to where it was flopping off the transom. Happened going 30mph and it's a tiller. The Mertens Power steering saved us from grave danger. The $$$ will go to my ex wife and hopefully the manufacturer will stand up and deliver on an obvious defect. Motor is out of warranty. Fished Sunday in a borrowed boat with no electronics. Hmmm. Steve

Steve,

CONGRATS ON THE TOURNEY FISH!!

Guys, regardless of what you think of Steve's posts this guy knows Mille Lacs like no other. Pretty sure there are a few fish in the last few years to back up that last sentence...

54x28 a few years back and a 56.5 piggy this year!!

And no, I'm not his best friend...I fished with him a couple years back and it was a great day on the water...

Quote:
Guys, regardless of what you think of Steve's posts this guy knows Mille Lacs like no other.

OH, I have heard about Steve J around the camp fire. I mean who has not?

I think he is a smarter man than we know. He is a type of guy who covers all his bets before a major tourney wink.

If this Sjonesi in indeed the real deal, he played this thread like a violin (sorry dude for stealing your granger, no one will remember next year).

He even put a shout out of Mac’s, after the fact laugh. I figured the money fish would be out deep, the way this year has been going. All though I saw one of the real Steve J's images from this year and it did not look deep at all grin.

A true legend in my book now, if it is the real deal????

Shack,

He is indeed the real deal smile The poster and Steve are one and the same.......

If anyone is looking for a guides, guide that will give them an honest to goodness chance for the fish of a lifetime, then Steve would be your first choice.

Having said that......Now I will say....Steve get out of MY BAY and STAY AWAY from MY FISH laugh

Quote:
Having said that......Now I will say....Steve get out of MY BAY and STAY AWAY from MY FISH

You know it Paul and I know you know it grin

I figured he is one in the same (Thanks Paul for clearing this up). Congrates dude for the win cool!

Way off topic though grin!

Quote:
I was with my Grandfather and we stopped for coffee before a fall time trip at a west side resort we launched at.

I talked with my grand father and he brought me up to speed. It was the Roll In Lodge we used to go out of in the fall and where I heard this old talk from way back when grin Means nothing I am sure, but good times! Sorry, been driving me nuts crazy

I caught a walleye one time on the 7 mile flat on the northern tip in 27 fow.... but who knew there were walleyes in this lake?

I caught a walleye one time on the 7 mile flat on the northern tip in 27 fow.... but who knew there were walleyes in this lake?

Dude....... you shouldnt of given away that spot.

Sorry, i was just giving a hard time to whoever cared. I heard is was a slow day of skie fishing, but congrats to the guys that did boat them, takes more time and knowledge than i will ever get to spend on the big pond to know. Whos ready for fall full moon cranking????