• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nutrient Overloading on Fertile Lakes. See the results...

The explanation is great but I still don't understand the difference between someone who farms in southern MN versus someone who is farming in western, eastern or northern MN and how that impacts whether or not that particular group of farmers is out of touch.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MinnesotaMongo

• Team Otter

• PDOGG

• 7outof10

i do not think farmers are out of touch ......i think that some farmers need to change somethings that they are doing.....some times you have to think about it from there way ....what they are doing is making a liveing and they want to be like ever other person and make as much as they can and you allso have to look at when the lines where put in and how much $$$$ it would take to make a better system to help the lake

I think the point T.O. is trying to make is that farmers in this part of the state do not do anything different than the farmers in western MN and northern MN or anywhere else, its just that it has a more noticable effect do to all the lakes in the area.

The southern part of our state is hog heaven.Farmers used to apply the manure on the surface.Now they incorporate into the ground.It is injected into the ground and covered up in 1 pass.South central Mn is the most concentrated area of hog farmers in the state.That would be 1 difference in the farmers accross our state.

I watched a story on the news yesterday morning on how the flooding in Iowa, and the field runoff into the Mississippi, has caused a huge deadzone, zero oxygen in the water, in the Gulf of Mexico. I guess it is due to fertilizers causing a huge algae bloom that is now dying off and displacing the oxygen. The shrimp boats are being forced to go out alot further into the gulf to find shrimp. So look for the price of them to go up! I wish I remembered what station it was on but it was 4 in the morning and not my T.V. Just made me think of this thread!

Thanks for the related topic-post, PDOGG.

My son and I drove by another Mankato area pond he wanted to fish - only to discover that it still was choked with weeds. Another run-off queen from the grass experts, I would guess.

This whole thing is ticking me off even more. I get promised a phone back from the MPCA - who was trying to trace down WHOSE responsibility the eroding cornfield was.

Nothing but a big - fat - zero.

Oh yeah, I'm a big hero among some of the tree-huggers on campus, since they saw my letter to the editor. But that letter was more like passing some loud, stinky gas from an upset stomach - there's still a lot more going on down there, and I'm still frustrated as heck.

Gov't can't/won't help. Lura Lake association has thrown up his hands in disgust and told me they gave up. I guess the next step is to talk to the guy myself. I have no illusions about my power of persuasion, but at least it will make me feel better.

I hope he's nice....

If you are talking about babies, I found that driving over railroad tracks always helps move things along...

i just bought a mower and i had to order blades today so no

cutto grass o . she can do my lawn , and my neibhors lawn is bumpy in the back .lol

pdogg don't worry i'll just make my gf do it! lol

Thanks. I think I can predict the outcome, but it's one more thing off my list.

if your going to chinese buffet take me with too!!!! mmmmmm mmmm mmmm good stuff

We've tried everything else so we will be at the Chinese buffet tommorow night! Gotta get this baby born fall is right around the corner!

you sre lucky !! this kid ,hopefully , will born soon because the fishing has slowed down and that would be perfect for the birthdays to come! no interfearance with a good fall bite ect.

good luck with the kid. how close is she to the due date?

14 days but the last 2 kids both came 2 weeks early so we are guessing any day now! Our last kid was 9lbs 14oz so I would hate to see how big this one will get if she goes another 2 weeks!

I just got off the phone with a man from the Mankato area Pollution Control Agency. Bottom line, there's not a lot we can do - although they seem eager to help.

I did find out something interesting. I was told by the Biology prof that tiles in the lake were grandfathered in if they were over 10 yrs old (I think I got this correct). As I recall our conversation with the PCA man - there's not much they can do with any current tiling farmers may do into the lake as well.

This forum did help - as he mentioned seeing it - so thanks guys for keeping it alive. I need to go back there and take some pix. If any of you are on LURA and get a good pix of the cornfield falling in the lake and the dump, please send them to me. I'll be trying to get out there as well and figure out some GPS coordinates. They won't do anything until they know where it is and who owns the land in question. Any help in that area would be nice.

If not, I'll just hoof it myself.

Next stop - Tim Walz...

I would contact the Blue Earth Soil and Water Conservation District and talk to the district conservationist. They are the ones that have their fingers on the pulse of the rules and regs as far as tiling goes. We have to permit through them to tile in our county. They may be able to help you get him turned in on his dump as well.

Depending on which watershed this lake is in, there should be funds available to at least have a cost share on implementing some changes.

This guy could be the "old school" type who haven't changed their ways since they started farming with their father 50 years ago. Not trying to find an excuse for him - those types are just really difficult to work with.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Them "old calverts" have had a tendency to colapase due to age. Back farming with pa, we had to re-run several "runs" due to them plugging up somewhere, causing washouts. Couldn't alway run them to the same place, due to the ordinances. wink

what about these un-updated lake shore home septic systems? They are another bad piece to the deteriorating lake puzzle.

most of the lakes septic systems are updated ........there are a cupple i think but most are updated most of the time when ever anyone wants to to work to a lake home or cabin they have to update the septic system......we had to do it a along time agin on one of are cabins