• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LEE LAKE FISHING- HAWLEY

I know many of you dont hit Lee Lake too often. But bought a camper on the resort, Wanted to try a lot of Catch and realease while I stay there. Any info appreciated. Also looking for a cheap lift for my old 19ft Fiberglass Glastron.

THANKS

Dragon --

I can show you some spots out there -- call me or stop by.

Hitman

BTW -- thanks for your help the other day.

Hitman,

If you and dragon get out there you should try and find that channel that is cut through that sand bar over by where I moved my fish house two years ago late in the season and mark a way point on it for me so we can find it in the winter. It was just to the north of where I usually sit in the winter, you and Woody stopped by one night and bummed a beer from me when you were taking your house off the lake....remember??

THAT IS WHERE I WILL SHOW HIM -- FOR SURE. That and that gravel point and a spot by the island.

eye --

Yeah, I remember that -- it was Schlitz or something, right.

I thought we gave him beer

I'm still waiting for that day Woody.

I don't think it was Schiltz Hitman, but you know me....I'm not too fussy when it comes to what kind of beer I drink, whatever's on sale at the Hawleywood Muni grin

Where is the public access to Lee Lake? Is it right in the campground?

There isn't a "public" access for the lake. The State closed it years ago because they got tired of re-building it everytime it would wash out (very steep hill to the access). I think the campground used to let people launch from there for a fee, but I'm not sure if they still do or not. Hitman would be able to tell you for sure.

Awsome, as soon the guy I am buying it from gets here I will be out there as much as possible. Gotta find a lift also. Is this a northern lake, walleye, or a little of both??? Cant wait to get to know the lake.....

More notherns than anything out there, but still a few eye's not like it used to be.

Yeah, I agree with Woody. I've heard that the walleye don't spawn well in that lake. There have been fingerlings stocked in there so if you catch them, please put them back so they can grow up. The crappies got hit hard out there too a few years back in the winter time and are hard to come by now too. The ones that you do get out there are really small. Good news though if you are a perch fan, there's about 10 bazillion of them in there, they keep the kids entertained though....

Hey Woody, haven't seen you at the West Fargo Sunmart lately, must be busy at work, huh?

Yeah I agree -- lotsa Northerns and come eyes. also bass and crappies.

Ten four, I plan on trying to talk with people out there about letting more fish go... I plan on doing that I know that. Fun to catch, I will eat my Lake of the woods walleyes.

Heard a really big EYE was caught there last opener! But I will sure try and get the local fisherman to start to fish smarter to make it a good lake again. Bass fishing would be fun also...

Heard the oxygen levels are low in some parts according to the DNR website, which hurts the spawn.

Thanks guys.

Dragon --

There are TWO Lee lakes in Clay County. One is in VERY tough shape and near the clay-becker line.

This one is in better shape.

FYI

AHHHH, I didnt realize that, Not even sure which one I read about then. Will have to do some checking. Will let you know when I get out there and we can go for a boat ride... Might even give you a natural light or a schlitz for your trouble, haha

Sounds good, I'll provide the beverage and you provide the fishing knowledge. DEAL!!!!!!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      darn mailman hasnt got my invite here yet!!!!!!😠🥴🤣
    • leech~~
      What you eating for the 4th?   Pork and beef ribs in the smoker! 😋
    • Dash 1
      Headed up to Sauk Centre today to see if Fletchers Bait had bigger leeches. He still has them. Also hit the Sauk lake and found a few fish in 8-11 ft water on windy areas. Got a 22, 15, 15, 13 and half dozen 12 or less. All bit after 10:30am, just like the fish forecast said. At least wife and I can have walleye dinner tonight. 
    • smurfy
      good to hear!!!!!👍 i'm headed back up on monday!!!! i got issues with the place lookin like noones been there.......i'm assuming the grass is long and teigs all over the yard.....good fire starter!!!!!🤗   a few acers?????whats dem??????
    • Kettle
      Water is starting to receed which is great. I'm still without a boat so just working extra to save up and try and find a few acers to build on next year. Fishing reports that I've heard have all been good
    • TrueNorth
      Here are a few pictures of water coming into Crane. Plus a couple of bonus pics of some fabulous weather and scenery. 
    • TrueNorth
      Yeah...they didn't upload. maybe too large. Sorry. 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The summertime bite is in full swing on LOW!  Three main techniques are getting it done and lots of fish are being caught.  The three fishing techniques being used are drifting or trolling crawler harnesses, trolling crankbaits and jigging.      Most popular depths are 24 - 35' of water.  When fishing structure, fish can be holding on top of the reef, on the edges or in the transition areas from the rock to mud.  Watching your electronics and fishing the various areas will help find the walleyes.   The second area holding good numbers of fish is the deep mud.  Various schools of walleyes, as is the norm this time of year, are roaming around over the basin focusing on a variety of forage.  Emerald shiners, tullibees, bug hatches, blood worms, and perch minnows are just a few.     Those jigging basically mark fish on their electronics, anchor up or spot lock and jig.  Emerald shiners and leeches on the jigs have both been successful this week.   Pulling spinners with a crawler and trolling crankbaits are techniques that are catching good numbers of fish.  These tactics cover water and get more reaction bites.  Gold / glow white, glow and pink, orange, chartreuse, or a combo of these colors are a great place to start.   On the Rainy River...  With recent rains, the river is flowing with a strong current.  Focus fishing efforts in areas on the edge of current or in slack water.    For walleyes, a jig and minnow is effective when fishing small, isolated spots.  Trolling spinners and crankbaits against the current will produce a mixed bag of fish.  Shoreline breaks, slack water areas, the backside of a hump or even along docks are good places to start.   The sturgeon "keep" season opened July 1st.  You can catch and release sturgeon with a normal MN fishing license.  If you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5.  Anglers are allowed one sturgeon per calendar year between 45 - 50 inches or over 75 inches.   Up at the NW Angle...  Fishing remains excellent.  Lots of walleyes being caught, along with a mixed bag for many.   Some walleyes are starting to gravitate towards sunken islands.  Some fish are out over deep mud.  Others are in areas such as points, neck down areas and weed edges.  Lots of walleyes focusing on a variety of different forage.  Jigging on structure and over fish you mark has been effective.  When fish are a bit spread out, pulling spinners with crawlers or trolling crankbaits is catching a lot of fish.     In this portion of the lake with thousands of islands, expect to catch walleyes, saugers, pike, jumbo perch, crappies, smallmouth bass and muskies.   Muskie anglers are reporting good success with many nice fish caught and released.  
    • SkunkedAgain
      As jet skis frolicked in the bay and I sat staining deck boards, I had the pleasure of listening to bass surfacing and smashing all of the insects sitting on the surface. There are definitely mayfly hatches going on but probably not the big one yet. It's definitely a good time to break out that fly rod if you've got one.
    • Mike89
      there is one there

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.