• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Team Otter

• PDOGG

• riverrat56

• Wookiee

In the last month I've been primarily running parallel with the shoreline. Finding a ton of fish holding up there, (also been relying on the use of waders much of the time). The retrieve you'll have to figure out for yourself but I've found running cranks & keeping rod tip up higher to minimize the dive has been helpful. 6's & 8's husky's mainly. I've been hitting some amazingly shallow waters lately,(amazed at how tight they're still holding to shore).(I've found I catch more smaller ones & miss more off the 6's and catch less but bigger fish off the 8's.) Have been running jigs and plastics as of lately if cranks aren't happenin'. However I have went through quite a few leaches in the last week off live bait rigs as well. Running those both tight to shore as well as out in some shoreline dropoffs.

I'am heading out tonight to see if this technique will work on my lake and will report back tomorrow!

Jaspernuts-

I know this works on your lake--I have been catching eyes for the better part of three weeks just like this.

It works on the majority of the lakes around here I like small firetiger rattle raps on your lake!

On many of SW MN's finest walleye lakes this shallow bite will go on all year long. My favorite trick is to throw a floating or shallow running rap to the shore and snap it back to the boat (darting action) and HANG ON! The harder the snapping action the harder they hit it. You may get into weeds on some casts but it's worth it. On lakes with dark water that bottom out at 10 ft max NEVER be afraid to throw into 1-2 ft of water for eyes. They are there.

I can't say thanks enough for all of that information, I will take something from what each of you have said. It is great to have this kind of environment to learn from, I will definately put in my time and report back with how it works for me. Another question for you all, when working these wind swept points and fishing this shoreline structure, are you normally using your trolling motor to stay in position, or are you anchored? Or using main motor? I can't say that I am new to this as I have been fishing for the better part of 15 years, but learning new techniques to make life easier is always a nice addition to your repertoire. Thanks again!

Be as quiet as possible. The fish know somethings up when achors bang and make noise. Also be aware of your electric motor wash and slapping weeds. The more wind, the more noise you can get away with.

Great point, can you expand though, are we talking about fishing one spot then moving on or fishing as your moving? I know sounds like a stupid question, but like I read on an earlier post from TO persistence does pay off and I don't want to be moving if that is not as beneficial as fishing one spot well! TH

If I am confident in a spot I like anchors. Looking around slowly move with the electric but like has been said careful not to speed up quickly or chop alot of weeds with it. It may not even matter though heck I know people who leave there main motor running no matter what and still seem to catch fish. now who was that?

Another question, this weekend I will be taking my two sons out to Shields. I see patience and persistence is important, they are 13 and 15 is this a good presentation to teach them or will it be the fish of 10,000 casts? My 15 year old will cast for hours as long as we are catching occasionally. My 13 yr old isn't there yet.

Also during the last Saturday Shields lake trip did you guys try leeches under bobs?

Thanks for your input. Also great thread. My older son is itching to catch some eyes.

Jigs and plastics or trolling cranks seemed to work the best on Shields. Big bass tournament out there this weekend may wanna find a differant lake?

Thanks PDOGG, Cabin is on that lake so will have to try to find some spots not taken. We were out there last weekend also. Me and the two boys were in a Aluma Tourny Pro green over tan. We came up to your fish flock for about 20 minutes. Nice sheepies. We had a standing dinner res at The Lodge, the boys like the ribs, otherwise I would have stopped over and introduced myself. You guys sure had the banter going and that was more entertaining than the fishing.

Thanks for the input.

Then there is no need to tell you were to go. Yeah the sheepies were definitly in there as well. They REALLY liked the leeches. Yeah the b.s. was definitly flying.

Thanks for the great info on this thread! I don't live in your area anymore but the same things you guys are talking about started working on my local lake. I'd never thought to try these methods until I read this thread.

Thanks for the great info!

P.S. Firetiger raps are my new favorite!!!

There a great lure! I'm not surprised this works in Timbucktu as well1 smile

I was going to map out the area Saturday but I now see there will be to many boats to do that. Then again, I could drive to the lake and find the key spots from shore. smirk

Good luck this weekend. The way I see it is, something is missing!

hookey, are you trying to reach me? I think I may have deleted an email by accident yesterday...

I got a undeliverable message from the email Postmaster when I emailed, I am planning on hitting the/a lake early tomorrow and was looking to pick your brain a bit. my email is posted above.

Typically, I use my main motor, a drift sock out the front and back troll but am certainly not confined to that. I also like to use my trolling motor and anchor. However, I only anchor when working an area I have huge confidence in.

10 - 15 sheephead and then an 'eye but for ~2 hours (before you got there), it was 'eyes only. FUN!

MD, not sure what you're talking about.  Send me an e-mail.  Thanks.

Question for you TO.. Do you use the same size anchor front and back on your rig? I have a sufficient anchor on the bow and tried a 5 or 7 lbs bell off the stern and I still get wind sway. Is that too small or do I need to work on my cinching of line tension? BTW I have a 170 Aluma Tourny Pro w/ a 115 Merc.

The only reason I ask is you were using two when we stopped by the flock.

Thanks