• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

GPS on Canada Side???

Yeah I always get 8 and 9 confused, 8 is great, nice large 3 bedroom. It's probably about the same size or a little larger that 7.

We have to be on the lake to see what the wind is doing and how big the waves are.

We have tried Crawlers and never caught nothing, We used to go a week earlier. Had to move back a week so our boys wouldn't miss baseball.

How is the fishing in mid-july? The boys are entering High School this fall and they now have summer basketball, they are missing it but in the future they shouldn't.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eyepatrol

• RainyPro

• TN Rick

• bitz

We've had pretty good success in mid-July. Always would go the 2nd week of July. Fish are in the summer spots by that time. Good for walleyes, but to find bigger pike and numbers of smallies might be more difficult as the water has warmed into the mid or upper 70's by then (usually).

The best trip we ever had though was over the week of July 4th back in I believe it was 2001. In my boat alone we caught well over 400 walleyes that week. Probably closer to 500 (obviously didn't keep that many though!!!). Every time it was a double. So I'm hoping we experience something remotely similar this year as well. I have other family members going up the 2nd week of July this year too. We just couldn't do that as our daycare always takes the week of the 4th off and we can't afford to take 2 weeks off like that (one for when daycare is closed and one for our vacation). So this year we decided to coordinate with daycare and take the same week off. Oh, and for the past 5 years or so, the 2nd week of July has been scorching hot. Something my wife just hates (the heat)! So that also played a part in going earlier as well.

Thanks for the info on eating. We just thought it might be nice to hav a short break in the middle of the week . . depending on weather too.

Have you tried any of the new Mustad Slow Death hooks for Walleye?

Eyepatrol,

I can't stand it when it's hot out on the lake, no wind, dead flat water and black files buzzing around all day, the sun is brutal too.

Rick,

We use plain jigs that we make ourselves, never heard of those hooks, I checked them out on the net, looks interesting, We don't use crawlers much but might be worth a try. Have you used them? Is it just the hook on the line, no weight? Do you reel them in or just troll them?

We have not used the Mustad hooks yet. Saw them on the Next Bite show and they looked pretty good so I thought we'd try them. Take a look at the web site, the next bite dot com. There is a link on the right about the Slow Death hooks and a video. Looks promising. We'll let you know how they work.

Hey Rick, we usually eat breakfast at the Harbourage which is next to Rainy Lake Sports east on Hwy 11. We usually go get our lic/etc, eat and then stop back at the Safeway for our CA stuff. Food is typical eggs/meat/taters/toast etc. Not big place but service for us has always been very good. Our adult kids always expect to eat there when they come along. Not sure about dinner. Lunch was good too.

I have been told the Rendez-vous further east on 11 (out by Rusty Myers Flying Service) is very good but a bit $$ and not sure if they have a dress code. (we usually don't get to dressed up when fishing) I have tried a couple of the places down on Scott street (main drag) but was never too impressed. I have heard Tom Horton is pretty good (I would think similar to a Panera or such) It is on 11 West heading towards camp. Near Canadian Tire.

We have also hit the McD's and A/W RB joint.

Hope this helps.

Bitz

Hey bitz!!!! What day and time will you be at the Harbourage???

We'll be there in the morning on Saturday the 28th probably around 9:00am-ish!

Love to eat breakfast there. And just like you, after breakfast we go to Safeway to get the rest of the groceries!

we are trying to go in on thursday if Vince has a cabin available. If not, then usually about 8 or 9. We are staying at Orr the nite before and then leave there early to try and hit the border before the cast of thousands. we have a black trailblazer/crestliner (white) if you see our rig on the road.

Bitz

I'll keep that in mind and keep an eye out for your rig in case you don't go in on Thursday. We'll be in a grey Tahoe with my Alumacraft attached to it. Just look at the radio antenna on the Tahoe.....my wife put her Mickey Mouse head on top of the antenna. blushsmirk

TN Rick,

I ordered some of those Slow Death hooks, you bringing crawlers, or you going to use platic with them?

Probably going to bring some. Not sure how long we'll fish for them As Bass fishermen we get anxious if we're not casting something. Caught Walleye last year on 1/2 oz chrome and blue Rat-L-Traps and trolling HJ-12 Glass Minnow.

EP, just confirmed we are going in early. So, see you on the Lake. Rick, good luck. If you see a white crestline zip by, give a wave.

Bitz

Sounds good bitz! Have a safe drive and we'll see ya on the water! cool

Will look for everyone. We'll be the guys with the flat boats zipping around.

Or just listen for the southern draw ya'll. grin

Just teasin' Rick! wink

I grew up in Indiana and my wife grew up across the river from Louisville, don't think Rich and crew have anything on her. smile

Well listen ya'll. We be fixen to do sum fishin' and I recon we'll jest hav ta show ya how we do it! laugh

Y'all be nice now.....I'll be with Rick and I'm from Georgia. You know where every breakfast in any restaurant comes with grits (Georgia Ice Cream) with a side of red-eye or sausage gravy and biscuit's.

Another form of GRITS all of you might appreciate GIRLS RAISED IN THE SOUTH. Lord we have been blessed with some great ones.

Hold'em Hook, Hold'em

Skip

My wife loves Grits (or at least the grits that are really grits) her favorite breakfast place is Cracker Barrel and she drives a car with tares, has a ruff over her head and sits on a davenport....