• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fairmont-Marshall-New Ulm-Worthington Area Fishing Reports - SW MN

• 2 weeks later...

Made it out for a bit last night. one keeper eye, one smallie, one black bullhead and a few nibbles and follows. Water was pretty green. anyone else having any luck in the area???

Crothmeier, you are over your "private topic" limit. At the top of the screen, you should see an envelope flashing by "my stuff". You'll find your messages in there.

I just noticed this was my 2999th post. I'd better reserve my 3000th post for something special. grin

Sorry, the feature must be disabled.

My brother was on Okabena Saturday morning and they had four 13" walleyes that were put back. Saw someone get one in the 19" range. Went to East and West Graham and figured they had about 25 cats between the two lakes. They released all of those too even though they were the perfect eating size. She's a catter's paradise she is.

me and wifey went out last night for a few hours. 3 pike, 2 smallies, a perch and 2 bullies. . . No eyes, but the smallies that hit were alot of fun. Missed a few other fish that got off before the boat also. All on crankbaits.

If anyone is looking for a place to bowfish carp let me know i trolled through a school of 30-40 right at the surface!

rothmeier_10@hotmail dot com

14" and 12". no doesnt start with an E. Windom area. What lake were you thinkign of? i love fishing for smallies and would like to find a few more places to fish them.

by the way all fish were catch and release.

Just saw a kid caught a 29" walleye on the cottonwood river just above the dam at the FGHC golf course. I was playin number 5 and he showed me the picture on his phone. Said it was over 8 lbs. He rode it home with his scooter and is going to mount it. I can't believe that little dirty river can hold that big of a fish!

I'll bet the lake X-tackleman is referring to has a buddy that starts with W.

Actually, it's his twin brother. grin

Those smallies in E are a lot nicer than 12-14 inches.

Some definitely are. I lost a pig out of there about a month ago. I was using a 2" crank bait with real small trebles, and when he shot out of the water, he spit the hook out. The problem is, I'm sure the lake is like pea soup by now, as are most of them around here. That kind of takes the fun out of fishing, when you have to keep removing the green slime from your line. frown

Those smallies in E are a lot nicer than 12-14 inches.

Well there are a lot nicer ones then that. In that lake too.

what lakes are you refering to as pea soup? the 2 lakes that i usualy fish are clearing up and the algea growth has gone down..

Clearing up? What lakes are YOU referring to? I can't imagine Cottonwood Lake clearing up.

YOu got Tyson, You got School Grove and Lady slipper that are actually really clear in the spring and late fall.

Tyson you can see 8 ft down easily. Kinda fun to fish that lake in the winter because you can see everything.

lady slippa is grose with moss school grove is clear nuff to see 3 feet a week ago now you can only see 1.5 after this wind but its stil better than 2" tyson is clear along with tims slough.

YOu got Tyson, You got School Grove and Lady slipper that are actually really clear in the spring and late fall.

I've never heard of Tyson. The majority of the lakes around here clear up in the fall, but we are a long ways from fall.

I just checked the DNR lake finder site, and in July of '07 the maximum depth of Tyson lake was 8 ft. and water clarity was a whopping 1/2 ft.

suree its not the best but go out there during the ice season when the bullies are sleeping youd swear you are fishin on top of a bottle of gin! by the way 129 days till ice!!

My bro and I managed to hook a few crappies on Fox Lake tonight. It was the first time either of us had ever fished the lake. We also hooked a few small 'eyes (only 1 14" keeper), some perch, and a ton of sheephead. We were using small black jigs with tail-hooked minnows in about 10 FOW.

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

Congrats Sapper! Maybe someday you could take the time to teach me a thing or two huh?? cry

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Shaokatan the other evening and I the water actually didn't look too bad. There were a few chunks of moss here and there, but for the most part, it was actually trollable. I was quite surprised. The weather this year has been strange.

I also caught 3 'eyes, 1 dink and a couple 15" plus.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mbeyer
      what does the ride from Virginia to the lake do to the bait.....survive OK?
    • Mike89
      you make it so fun!!!!    😁
    • CigarGuy
      Quick update: Lucky 7 now has rainbows, fatheads, crappie and light pike in stock. If I remember correctly, scoop of rainbows was $8.99.  Stopped at L&M in Virginia. Rainbows $6.99, fatheads and crappie minnows (scoop) $3.99. I was billed $6.99 dozen for rainbows, but was given a healthy scoop!
    • smurfy
      🤣 you da friggin grammar police!🤔😒🤣
    • leech~~
      I have had the same old Strikemaster augers for years, take care of them and they will last a long time.   I think E-augers are nice for around home lakes or at the cabin. The thing that was a eye opener to me was being in D-Rock in New Brighton getting new blades and there were two guys that just got back from a week in Canada on a big ice fishing trip and both very pissed off at their e-augers dying! They were both buying new gas augers.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Things are shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener which takes place Saturday, May 11th.  Recent rain has brought up the water levels, which were low.  The walleyes and saugers are in very good shape across the south shore.  Expectations are high. The goto presentation this weekend will be a jig and frozen emerald shiner or other kind of minnow.  Emerald shiners are a staple in LOW and walleyes love them.     Hook the shiner through the mouth and out the gill.  Push the minnow all the way up to the jig head and hook the minnow as far back as possible.  This will give you a better hooking percentage.     Jig sizes and colors?  This is stained water so you can get away with a big heavier jig, which is nice for those who don't fish a lot.  It enables them to have more control and feel the bottom.  A quarter ounce jig is a good size for starters.     In stained water, gold, glow white, glow red, pink, orange and chartreuse, or a combo of those colors, are great places to start.   The limit of walleyes and saugers is a combined limit of six fish, up to four of the six can be walleyes.  All walleyes between 19.5 - 28.0 inches must be released.  One fish over 28.0 inches can be kept.  The possession limit in MN is one daily limit of fish. Whether intentionally or unintentionally, there will be some good pike caught this weekend.  The pike season on LOW is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one fish allowed more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. On the Rainy River...  Sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River has been excellent.  The catch and release season is May 8 - 15.  The keep season starts up again July 1st. FYI, there will be some nice walleyes in the Rainy River for the fishing opener.  Lots of sturgeon anglers are reporting big walleyes being caught on sturgeon rigs! Up at the NW Angle...  Angle resorts are ready to roll for the opener.  As many of you know, this is the area of LOW where the islands begin.  Lots of structure.     Go to spots for walleyes, neck down areas, shoreline breaks, points and bays which will have warmer water.  In true NW Angle form, be ready for a mixed bag of fish.  In addition to walleyes and saugers, pike, jumbo perch, crappies, and even a few smallies and muskies will be caught.   Again, the goto presentation will be a jig and minnow. Slow trolling a crankbait will also produce fish if need be.    
    • Mike89
      Totally disagree Gim. I have a gas Jiffy legend auger. Never issues. Take a little time to care for it before putting it away and good to go. Sincei started using non oxygen gas, startron and seafood in never have issues with my 2 strokes.   seafood???   I'd try seafoam!!!   🤣
    • smurfy
      Totally disagree Gim. I have a gas Jiffy legend auger. Never issues. Take a little time to care for it before putting it away and good to go. Sincei started using non oxygen gas, startron and seafood in never have issues with my 2 strokes.   Guess when them damb helicopters from my maple tree arrive I'll  find out how good she blows,  doubt I'll  get a chance first with Stormy to compare!🤭   Anyone got trumps number?😄
    • gimruis
      Wow, 600 bucks for a battery powered lawn mower?  Guess I didn't realize they costed that much.   I assume most people now are using battery augers in the winter.  I remember when they first came out everyone thought they were a joke.  Things sure have changed on that front.  I hardly see anyone using a gas auger anymore.   The selling point, at least for me, would be to avoid having to do any engine maintenance.  Small 2 stroke motors are a pain in the rear to maintain, and unreliable at best.
    • Mike89
      I'll bet she's better at it!!!!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.