• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fridley-Mississippi River Fishing Report The 694 Bridge Area to 610

JBMasterAngler

JB: I went over to Rice Creek where it enters the River about 8:00 tonight and fished till dark. The river was quite high and moving right along. I only fished for an hour or so and picked up a nice kitty cat and a smallmouth. I stopped by Vados Bait Shop first and picked up a dozen Chubs.

No one was fishing minnows. They were either using crawlers, or leeches and I was the only one catching fish with the exception of the guy on the other side of the creek who was killing bronzebacks on a senko.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UncleKes

• JBMasterAngler

• j sippi

• Rick Reisewitz

I'm assuming the guys across the creek were using nightcrawlers. Another group on my side were using minnows under a bobber and casting spinnerbaits, but I didn't see them catch anything.

I was on the southside...I guess people just disregard that trail closed sign and get on the north side through there? I did see 1 boat cruising upstream on the creek side of the river...is that the deeper side during normal/low water?

JB: Normally the river is higher along the shore than out in the middle in that stretch for some reason. This time of year with all the high water I don't think it makes any difference. You are correct. In normal times that side would be deeper. Mind you NOT all that much deeper but still it would be deeper.

I must have just missed you! I fished about 20 feet from the guys casting crawlers out. Too bad. I would have liked to have fished with you Maybe next time.

Good Luck!

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes

I give plasma on tuesdays and thursdays, so those will be the days you'll find me...probably around 2ish in the afternoon 'til whenever. Just look for a red gmc jimmy in the parking lot.

JB! I would love to, but I am almost always at work by 2:00. I will be taking some vacation toward the end of the month and intend to stay around home for a few days. Maybe then? Anyway good luck.

Tight Lines.

Uncle Kes

My vacation is at the end of the month as well...I'll be in grand marais. grin

• 4 weeks later...

There was about ten boat at the launch today. So i guess that the launch is ok to use. So what is the report down there. Are the smallies still holding to rocky shoreline. What are you catching them on? I will be going down there on wed. I work to much so any info will help. thank the food guy

Can't go wrong with plastics. I almost exclusively use white 3" powergrubs with an overhead spinner. I suppose tube jigs and power craws would be ok too. I might snoop around along the shorelines on tuesday so I'll see what I can find out for you.

j ssippi: JB is right. Plastics are always good. Lately I have been working with this new Gulp stuff and have had really good luck with the stuff on marble eyes and bronzebacks I prefer the 5 inch leeches ( I don't think the 3 inch ones give off enough movement, but that may be just a personal predudice??) or the 5 inch shad imatation. Anyone else had experience with this stuff?

I admit I was a bit sceptical but I am being converted and surprized each time I go out!

I did not make it down on tuesday, hopefully thursday. eek 3" gulp leeches will get you the biggest sunnies you'll ever catch...am anxious to see how gulp works on the river though.

When I fish this area I do pretty good on the smallies. But this area is so shallow. Where do target the stinky eyes in this style of river. Plus is there any sizable fish in this area.

Years ago I was told by Dale Haven, he had a bait shop in Coon Rapids years ago, that there were lot's of big Eyes in that section but almost impossible to find after the first couple weeks of opener.

Strike 2 on me checking the river out! Bad weather at the time, but of course it's sunny and beautiful outside right now. mad

The river is starting to get in the summer lows. I think i am going to get the fly rod out and do some wadding.

did that today for an hour or so...only managed a couple but it was still nice to be out. The water sure is warm despite the higher level.

I haven't tried yet this year,planning too, but I've had fun north of the 610 bridge there are a couple small islands on the west side of the river, if the water is high enough and you can get back there there are some nice holes, 6 feet of water or so, that at night attract catfish. You want to get north side of the small island you can see crossing over 610. I have gotten back there with my 16ft lund, living in that area, the water south of the bridge looks tough to navigate, there is at least one huge tree on west side, and in the middle is another shallow bar.

You can make it all the way up to the dam. There is areas that you need to slow down for.

• 2 weeks later...

from 694 bridge to 610 how the heck do you travel up the river without banging up your prop. was out yesterday and lost track of time and it got to be a little before 9 so it was my falt because couldnt really see. so i do apoligize to the 2 guys that were fishin in the middle of the river just south of the river park acess.Didnt want to get as close as we did but I was hitting rocks almost everywhere. I live close and love fishing it but it seems a little skeptical

This time of year that particular stretch is probably unnavigable unless you are in a kayak or canoe or in something that has an extremely narrow draft. A better bet would be to launch your boat either at the boat launch (on the Rum River) in Anoka about half a block from where the Rum enters the Mississippi or at the boat launch at the Coon Rapids Dam.

Of course you can always launch your boat at the launch on 83rd Avenue in Brroklyn Center just off West River Road. But leaving your car unattended in that neighborhood is not really a very good idea unless youy want to come back and find your car on blocks, your engin missing and your trailer southbound on its way to Georgia.

That stretch of river when the water has dropped as now is not a good idea without knowledge of thw water or a jet boat. Maybe a canoe of kayak will give you a much better idea. sick

I canoed the Miss and Rum many years ago before I ever took my first boat out on them, a 10 foot duck boat and oars. crazy

• 8 months later...

Hey everyone! I just moved to Fridley right on the river just next to the 694 Bridge. I saw this thread and thought I'd check it out. I haven't done much fishing over the past 15 years, but now that the river is in my backyard I thought I'd do a little more. I've learned a lot about this stretch of the river by reading through, but am interested in knowing more. Any other info from what type of tackle and rod you'd recommend and other locations from shore that are good (seeing as I don't own a boat) fishing would be helpful. Thanks in advance for helping this new dude out.

Sometimes your better off without a boat...during the summer just slip on some sandles and you'll be fine. Catching smallies can be pretty basic. Just grab a medium light action rod and spinning reel spooled with 8 pound test. Makes the fight alot funner. I personally just bounce white power grubs off the bottom and have a blast. Have caught dandy smallies, some 'eyes, pike, and even a catfish. Or just a 3 way rig with a nightcrawler and you'll catch redhorse, carp, bass, and cats.

Thanks JB, I'll keep all that in mind. What are the regulations on this stretch of the river 694 up to 610? Catch and release or closed season til opener?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys- Just moved to the area and I fished just north of the rice creek on the east side of the river for the first time. I only caught a carp on a 4" gulp minnow. Anyone been fishing here lately? I would really like to bag a smallmouth.

I haven't had much time to get out fishing as yet, which I'm bummed about seeing as the river is in my backyard. The few times I got down by the 694 bridge I had a couple nice lookin' smallies chase my lure right up to the shore. I'm probably going to be camped out near the creek for a few hours today (tuesday). I don't do much fishing, but ike "Kiddy" says, I too would love nothing more than to land some Smallies. How is the fishing about a 100 yards north of where Rice Creeks empties into the river?