• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnetonka Walleye Report...

Let's hear how those Tonka walleyes treated you! I hope to have a good Saturday post.

DB

Caught 9 wallies from midnight to 5 am. 27 and a half, 27, three or four 24-25". Smallest was 19 and a half. Pretty steady action all night til the sun started to come up. Mostly females, but a few big males.

hi, finally found a minnetonka forum. nice fish musky39! what technique were you using, trolling, bobber fishing, drifting, or? ive fished minnetonka for crappies in the spring and sunfish in the winter many years ago. last winter was the first time i tried it for walleyes and had good enough success to get me back again. now im wondering about open water for walleyes. its great to hear of success like yours. i mostly fish mille lacs and am going there next weekend. minnetonka has always scared me because of all the pleasure boat traffic. what kind of a problem is it actually?

regards,

minnesotatuff

Did not get anything on Saturday morning, but did get out on Sunday night and caught a couple of eaters (15-18 inch range) and lost a big one (I like to call it my 10ft release). fishing about 3-5ft of water from shore.

kept 1-16 inch eater, and lost one that was in the 24 inch range right at the boat....both hit before sunrise. tried leeches and fatheads....on jigs and rigs. tried everywhere from 3 ft out to about 25 ft. both fish came in 12 ft of water.

We worked the east side in 16-18' primarily. Had one hit and that was it. Saw lots of boats moving around spot to spot and didn't see a net out all morning so I'm guessing it was tough for others.

Crappies were finicky, but we got a few to bite, biggest going 12.5". Watch the bobber closely, many simply took the bait and moved the bobber sideways, but not down. A little tricky to see with a slight chop on the water.

DB

hey mn tuff. Tonka is completely covered with pleasure boaters and is not even worth your time. You would be better off finding another fishery.........all kidding aside, tonka is very fish-able till the weather starts to warm up. Then the boats start to come out. you can still get some fishing done, it is a very large lake and i usually never have a problem finding some decent structure to fish. just always beware of the big boats. i like to think of it a motorcycle driving in traffic, always be looking for trouble to stay out of.

Tried it Sunday evening from 6:30-8:30PM on the west end. Shoulda fished until dark but didn't. Shoulda fished much shallower but didn't. Shoulda caught fish but didn't. Fish were not on their typical May spots (12-16 feet of water).

I tried it sunday. Same story as walter... no walleyes where we were. Good friend of mine fished sat at midningt till noon and had the same story.

I heard the key to catching eyes last weekend was super shallow water. One of my buddys is a guide, and they put some fish in the boat in 1-4 fow. Really shallow fish on the windy side of the bays they fished.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      yeppers......nuttin more aggravating the boat motor issues!!!!!!!   what was the problem the first time???????
    • Hookmaster
      Nice fish Kettle. Hope it's really "fixed" next time.
    • Rivergroup
      Our group will be returning in September as well. Wish we were able to be there now to lend a hand.
    • smurfy
      dang...tough to hear..........hope the good people up there recover soon!!!!!!!!!
    • MarkB
      We just returned this afternoon from 6 days on Vermilion. We arrived Saturday and enjoyed 3 fantastic days of walleye fishing. My cousin, our friend Greg, and myself fished several of our spring spots and found fish on all of them. Water temperatures were pretty much 65-67 degrees everywhere we fished. The wind was variable and made boat control a challenge at times. Bait was not an issue and we had success on crawlers(Tim), leeches(Greg), and minnows(me). If I had to pick one of those as catching the most fish, it would be crawlers. Our best day totalled 48 walleyes, 4 smallmouth, and 2 big JUMBOS. We ended up with over a hundred walleyes, 12 jumbos 11"-13", and 10 smallmouth to 18". Our biggest walleye was 24.5" and the balance went from 13"-22". There are lots of 14"-16" walleyes this year which are perfect eaters. The mayfly hatch was in full bloom in some areas but we found very few mayflies in the water column over rock reefs. We caught our fish in depths ranging from 10' to 32'. I didn't fish in any area where I could see mayflies top to bottom in the water column. Slow trolling in the .3mph to .6mph worked and we caught nothing using slip bobbers. Terminal tackle was a 3'-4' 10# flurocarbon leader, 2 lime colored beads, and a plain #6 Gamakatsu walleye hook . Snags are always an issue when fishing in and around the rocks and when the fish are biting they are acceptable. NOW, for the bad news.......Tuesday was a day I won't soon forget. The area suffered devastating torrential rainfall. Lightning was non-stop for several hours and when things settled down, flood damage was everywhere. We checked our rain guage on the side of the cabin and we got 7 3/4 " in a little over 4 hours! Breezy Point road washed out, Mud Creek road washed out as did several others in the area. Cooke business area was completely covered with flood water. I would consider it a disaster area and should be declared as such. We couldn't find a dock anywhere that wasn't covered with water. People were stranded behind flood covered and washed out roads. Dock decking, limbs and such were floating everywhere in the big water. My group sends our prayers to the people of that beautiful country that lost their businesses, homes, and suffered damage to their lake properties. The people of that north country are resilient and we have confidence that they will recover. We stayed our final 3 days but didn't fish at all Tuesday. Our last 2 days showed the effects of the storm. Water temps dropped to 64 degrees and our premo fishing became 10 walleye days. We did manage to catch a dozen really nice jumbos. We plan on returning in September and we pray the area will have returned to normal by then. I haven't figured out how to transfer photos from my phone to my computer yet so no pictures at this time. Good Fishing and God be with you. MarkB
    • SkunkedAgain
      Word is that the river has peaked and therefore the town can start the process of recovering sooner.
    • smurfy
      Heard that too. Also heard 38 was closed for a but north of rapids due to flooding.    I know the water really came up when I was up last week compared to when I was there in April. 
    • Kettle
      Someone said 4 inches in the past week, more expected this weekend. A few roads, including county roads that are asphalt ended up with sink holes. Lakes are the highest I've ever seen in the 30+ years coming to the area and now living here. Several people lost trees Tues night
    • smurfy
      Dang Kettle  that bites. Great to hear fishing was good though.   How much rain you get up that way?
    • Dash 1
      50 in 6 hours is great. Boat issues really put a damper on a great day though. Hope you get it fixed quickly.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.