• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pelican Lake Public Info Meeting

Folks, in my experience you best start buying shotguns and selling fishing rods. It has been done before, draining a fish sustaining lake, recently, in fact . If this is being driven by DU with the support of the MN DNR, public input is a formality.

I have no dog in this fight, ducks or fish is the question and I believe the question will be answered by the golden rule.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stretch

• walleyetighe

• jbell1981

• a47mlb

Originally Posted By: BartmanMN
"Turning into a Minnetonka" may be a stretch. It's a 15 ft lake.

My point being the development of the lake by people, causing even more run-off into the lake. Not the activity level.

Originally Posted By: boe757

Folks, in my experience you best start buying shotguns and selling fishing rods. It has been done before, draining a fish sustaining lake, recently, in fact . If this is being driven by DU with the support of the MN DNR, public input is a formality.

I have no dog in this fight, ducks or fish is the question and I believe the question will be answered by the golden rule.

Regrettably, I have to agree with you. By what I have read the last few days, it will be a waste of my time to go to this meeting. Minds have been made up. I really hope that the cost of this is completely funded by duck stamps. I don't want my money paying for this. It is a waste of resources. If the DNR and DU are that worried about the welfare of their precious ducks, then, like I have posted before, drop the water level and close it to hunting. THAT would be in the best interest of the ducks and the environment.

I did state that I hunt and FISH this lake. I actually fish this lake often. Therefor I have something to lose either way. If its drained I lose a fishery, but I gain better duck hunting and vice-versa. I actaully would be in favor of designating part of the lake as a refuge, but the whole 4,000 acres wouldent make much sense. I will use the conservationist line, as stated by many others this is a designated wildlife lake and the DNR failed to do its job period. If I never hunted this lake in my life I would be in favor of the drawdown, as I will be in favor of shallow lake improvement anywhere in the state, even if I will never hunt said lake.

FYI........ According to my buddy who works for the DNR and actually works in wright county fish dept. says that a 14" crappie is about 10 years old. He checks these lakes daily in the summer and takes ear samples.

Originally Posted By: walleyetighe
If the DNR and DU are that worried about the welfare of their precious ducks, then, like I have posted before, drop the water level and close it to hunting.

I don't understand why this management plan is so hard for folks to accept? As per the states website, there are 11,842 lakes in this state that are over 10 acres in size. The hunters are asking for 40 of those to be manage for waterfowl and wildlife. FORTY!! That's it. Is that so much to ask for? Yet there appears to be certain group of sportsmen that want it all. And if they can't have it, they want it closed to everybody. Incredible. Sad, actually.

Nope. I don't want it all. Just the lake I have been fishing for the 5 years I have lived here. I don't fish the other 11842. Nor am I talking about the other 40 shallow lakes you speak of. I am talking about this one and this one only. You want to talk about sportsmen wanting it all? Well, lets drain Pelican and end fishing. That's what is going to happen anyway.

Thank you Judd for the information. 10 years to 14 inches. And larger have been caught. It is a great fishery and sounds like a great place to hunt...having it all, huh?

Sorry, tighe. I guess I just get a little passionate about such a special duck lake that can be saved. Pelican is one of the 40 I speak of designated as a Wildlife Lake. Chances are fishing will not cease to exist on Pelican. It may dwindle a bit, but it won't be gone forever. In fact, there could be a chance that the winter before the first drawdown, the DNR could open it up to promiscuous fishing. I know it won't be the same, but nothing I can do about that.

Aren't there too many hunters on that lake anyway. I go there and people are sky busting because they know the next person will if they don't! Just think how many hunters will be there if they drain the lake. Keep the water and there will still be plenty of ducks. I love duck hunting, but that lake is way too busy and some of the hunters are so desperate to shoot a duck that they ruin the fun of hunting by shooting at ducks that are a mile high!

Originally Posted By: walleyetighe
Nope. I don't want it all. Just the lake I have been fishing for the 5 years I have lived here. I don't fish the other 11842. Nor am I talking about the other 40 shallow lakes you speak of. I am talking about this one and this one only.

Wow. So this whole Pelican Lk thing is all about YOU, eh tighe?

If this is the only lake you've been fishing for the last 5 years, you're really missing out, pal.

Thank you, a47mlb, for handling what has become an emotionally charged topic (see quote above)

with tact and logic. I wish more people could do the same.

I will agree with one thing: hunter access mgmt may need to be included as an overall part of the plan from the DNR.

Folks,I have been living in this area it seems longer than some of you have been on this planet. I hunted Pelican 25 years ago.

I use to train my labs there. Unfortunately this lake, wetland,

whatever term you choose to use will never be what it was in years prior. Urban sprawl is here and soon there will be no hunting allowed as both Albertville, St Michael and Monticello continue expanding outward. Has anyone truly been able to determine why the water table continues to rise even in these last few years of drought? Is it a spring or runoff or drain tiles? I don't know nor I'm I an expert. I don't hunt it anymore

because it is a zoo. This state in general, unless your have access to private land, is just over running and no one seems to have any respect for other individuals anymore. I was driving 3 1/2 hours away to go pheasant hunting and would get to a location at 7:00 to wait for the 9:00 start and guys would pull up a 8:45 and jump out and run to the best cover in front of everyone legally waiting for legal shooting. Now as far as the fishing, it is world class and lot of us (behind the scenes) feel that there needs to be a compromise developed. If you can stop of the run off and the drain tiles the lake will grow vegetation. Bassboats etc aren't mixing up the bottom anymore than all the other boats , duck hunters included. Make it a Waterfowl area and catch and release fishing area and get both sides involved (hunters and fisherman)and something will happen alot faster and the two side fighting each other. I would love to catch a 20lb pike or a 7 lb Bass or a 20" Crappie and have a repelica made and release for someone else to catch. Also, limit the number of hunters to a certain number like LP so you can have a quality hunt and not be shoulder to shoulder & sky busting. Also, this will keep the slobs out who ruin it for the rest of us and who are to lazy to clean up after themselves and

expect someone else too. Sorry for being so long winded but I hope we can reach a comppromise on this. See you all at the meeting. Should we all where name tags. lol

Originally Posted By: TB Basser
Unfortunately this lake, wetland,

whatever term you choose to use will never be what it was in years prior. Urban sprawl is here and soon there will be no hunting allowed as both Albertville, St Michael and Monticello continue expanding outward.

Urban sprawl, at least for the time being, is not something that needs to be worried about. The new zoning plan severly limits what can be done on the land in the area including pelican lake.

Blaze,

No. It is not all about me. It is about the large number of people who also fish this lake. It is also about taking a lake and ruining one resource to MAYBE improve another. Yes, it is an emotionally charged topic. And I believe that I have not stated anything here lacking tact or logic.

a47mlb,

Please...no need to be sorry. I really appreciate your passion on the subject. I hope you don't take offense to my passion for the other side. I am just glad we live in a place where we can disagree and have a debate.

does anybody know if this meeting will be video recorded or tape recorded? i will most likley not go but i would love to hear or see how the night unfolds.

Bearbait,

I too will unfortunately be out of town that evening and will not be able to attend. This thread made me think of a great deal to help fund whatever they choose to do... Sell tickets to the meeting or possible offer it as a local PPV event on Charter. It sounds like it may be very interesting.

now my 2 cents... Having grown up hunting and fishing in this state I can see both sides of this argument. However, I feel that it would provide the geatest benefit to the largest amount of wildlife to drain it down to where it should be. This would give the ducks, pheasants, etc.. a better environment. The fish will not go away completely, they may not have the same numbers that they have this last year but they will still be there. This is one of the most important Waterfowl lakes in the flyway. Wit hall of the small ponds and sloughs being developed and plowed I think it is vital to provide a place for the ducks. I would be in favor of limiting some access for hunting purpose to the land. Possibly a system like at LQP or even simply closing it down for the first 2 weeks of duck season to let the local, reproducing ducks blow out.

No one has posted any comments after the meeting yet, what's up. I had class and could not make it. I was expecting to see a few posts from people that attended.

Originally Posted By: BartmanMN
No one has posted any comments after the meeting yet, what's up. I had class and could not make it. I was expecting to see a few posts from people that attended.

You're a week early. The meeting is next Wednasday.

This body of water has historically been a "waterfowl production and migratory stop" for tens of thousands of ducks and geese with the exception of the last decade. the invasion of carp,bullheads and other fish have decimated one of the states premier water fowl tracts, just ask anybody over 50years old about this slough.and it is a slough not a lake.

fish have all but wiped out the good vegitation and the water is murky. you can go to a hundred lakes and fish crappies and sunnies in wright county but duck hunting is different we can't hunt on these lakes due to occupied dwelling restrictions or city ordinance.

Pelican used to have great numbers of canvasbacks and divers and puddle ducks. But over the last 20 or so years the food like freshwater shrimp and clearwater weeds have been erased, so slowly the imprint on waterfowl became smaller and smaller and with the flyway to the west being so atractive and increased water levels out in the dakotas they have imprinted there now.

As Wright Counties largest body of water, rally for the ducks and geese, not to mention the great pheasant population around it. I do way more fishing that hunting and I to had a fun time on pelican this year but it's time to see this thing for it's full potential and restore it to a bird haven. I hope everyone that cares is at the meeting. both sides do have alot at stake.

Drain it. It's a Duck slough. The 20lb. Pike stories are lies there is no way the O2 levels are high enough in the summer for big pike. Some people are catching some Crappies, big deal. No one is shooting limits all the time out there right now. They may be shooting those limits on some potholes on private land right next to it but they aren't shooting them on Pelican. We the people wrecked Pelican's duck hunting We the people need to fix it. I fish and just ate a limit of Crappies I caught on Big Car tonight. But Fish don't trump ducks when We the people wrecked the duck hunting to begin with.

I think people are failing to realize that Pelican Lake has a history of winterkill (on average every 10 years). The last occuring in 2001. I think if the lake would have experienced a winterkill this year it wouldn't be as hot a topic as it is. Anglers would probably say "it was fun while it lasted". And that is how they should look at it, because it will kill again. I drive by this lake every day to and from my office and am amazed at the number of people fishing this lake and would predict that the fishery would reach an equlibrium and probably start to decline.

I also don't think that the plans of restoring the lake for waterfowl, means gloom and doom for the fishery. It is quite possible that it might actually invigorate the fishery, by inducing winterkill that will then increase the zooplakton abundance, which in turn can fuel incredible growth rates of the fish that survive. This could possibly be a win-win for both sides down the line. How often will the lake kill afterwards? I would speculate about as often as observed now.

I think people live too much in the "now" and fail to see the big picture of the future. Like others have stated, this is one of 11,000+ lakes and it is designated as a WPA. It has a lot of potential for both waterfowl production and as a periodic fishery.

War Eagle!!!

I think the “big picture of the future” is not that far off, 10-15 years. At which time driving between St Michael/Albertville to Buffalo will be just like taking a drive through Maple Grove. The urban sprawl of homes will completely engulf the Pelican Lake area, home owners’ complaints will completely eliminate any type of hunting on the lake, fishermen wont be able to enjoy it because it was reduced to a mosquito producing swamp and everybody will be wondering why this body of water wasn’t better managed for all to enjoy.

I plan on being at this meeting tonight, my only concern is that the only “experts” that are going to be talking are going to be from Ducks Unlimited, Minnesota Waterfowl Association, Pheasants Forever, etc. My guess is that “experts” from the following were not invited: National Ice Fishing Association, ICFA (International Coalition of Fisheries), American Angler's Association, IGFA (International Game Fish Association), American Sportfishing Association or BASS.

their will also be the dnr and the department of fish and wildlife services at the meeting. so it won't be all experts on ducks.

sp700twin...Why do you think there should be people from fishing organizations at a meeting about a waterfowl production lake? Do you think there should be people from DU and MWA at meeting about a fishing lake?

Originally Posted By: sp700twin
I think the “big picture of the future” is not that far off, 10-15 years. At which time driving between St Michael/Albertville to Buffalo will be just like taking a drive through Maple Grove. The urban sprawl of homes will completely engulf the Pelican Lake area, home owners’ complaints will completely eliminate any type of hunting on the lake, fishermen wont be able to enjoy it because it was reduced to a mosquito producing swamp and everybody will be wondering why this body of water wasn’t better managed for all to enjoy.

With the new zoning plan (see my post above) this won't happen. The county officials understand that this area needs to be preserved and have passed zoning laws that greatly limit what can be done in the entire northeast quadrant of Wright county. Also, the DNR and USFWS along with help from the county and other agencies are trying to purchase as much land in the area. This land, in the form of WMA's & WPA's will be preserved from urban spawl. The USFWS already owns more than half of the lake shore (over 17 miles) including almost the entire north side and a very large portion of the east side.

MLee-

Whenever there is an outcome on a public matter that will severely impede other tax payers’ access to the public area then I feel that both sides should be equally represented. If it was a fishing matter then the waterfowl community should be addressed and listened to and vise-versa. With only one side represented there will be a LOT of opinion mixed with facts that they expect everybody to take at face value. When both sides are present it helps to keep the honest man honest and allows for the best outcome to rise to the top because it is not being developed from a single sided, tunnel visioned group. Go back and reread the debate jbell and I shared on another fishing forum regarding “fact vs. opinion.”

Jbell-

As far as zoning; you are correct in its zoning for today. But, how will it be zoned tomorrow? I bought my house in St Michael less than 6 years ago. We bought it because of the 52 acres behind us that was zoned for agriculture and we enjoyed the views. Several years later the city changed the zoning to allow light industrial, now it has been changed to accommodate medium density residential. Again, it is a matter of opinion and naiveness to think that the current zoning is going to hold. City and County Governments are no different than private business in chasing the almighty dollar. You will not be able to stop progress or relive the 1970’s on Pelican Lake.

See everybody at the meeting this evening. I’ll be the one wearing my camo hat and carrying my fishing rod.