• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Very suprised by low number of fisherman

ib_jigged

Wow, talk about a post all over the place. I fish with my wife and kids so no matter what lake we go to we enjoy it. We drive the 3 hours to red about 10 times a year. Half in the winter and the others in spring/summer. This year is no dought slower then previous, but I have several pictures of my 5 year old with a 15" crappie he caught on his own and my avatar pic of a 35" pike we caught this year. Fishing is what you make it just as in life. If I hit the ice and barley pop and a few laughs with the kids is all I get so be it......it beats going to work!!! \:\)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theicehooker

• kgpcr4

• Random guy

• shaky legs2

I made my first trip to red this year just last week actually, i heard fishing was slow but wasnt to worried, i got 3 crappies total all were above 10 inches with the biggest almost 15 inches. Those 3 crappies will keep coming up for a long time knowing that i have the possibility to catch those nice fish, plus the chance to catch some pretty nice eyes its the best. I guess i dont really care if i catch tons of fish, its the memories which will keep me coming up.

Wow I think I accidentally got a few people fired up??? What I said was "a" not "the" dead sea....I was not referring to any lake in particular. I was talking "in general' if you re-read my previous post. My point was to question those who try saying the main reason they go places is because of the people. You would have never gotten to know the people if you weren't there for the years past that absolutely rocked. Don't get me wrong please I love URL, I am just sick of hearing....."I didn't catch but 3 fish in 4 days but hey, I got to see Joe, Sue, Bobby, and Daryl hardy har har har." "We also had a lot of dem der beers!"

"I am just sick of hearing....."I didn't catch but 3 fish in 4 days but hey, I got to see Joe, Sue, Bobby, and Daryl hardy har har har." "We also had a lot of dem der beers!""

Be nice to have both but I'ld take good friends over good fishing anyday. \:\)

I just cant see spending a few hundred dollars for 3 fish. I can do far better on other lakes for a heck of a lot less money. as for the 2 walleye limit they can keep thier two fish. I can drive 20 minutes from my house and catch a limit of walleyes so why drive 325 miles round trip for 2 fish?? again it makes no sense! its counter productive to go there when there are other options that produce better for far less money. gas is going to be 3.50 a gallon this summer so i am not going to waste for two walleyes!

I agree with you all day there. You should see what you and your brother can work with the DNR to bring Upper Red Lake south about 200 miles.

The first few good reports are bound to bring world peace back to the forum. If anyone is actually fishing, I'm sure it won't be long. I myself would like to get up to URL soon! I have been struggling recently just to find the time to get out and wet a line period.

For those of you guys who complain you only get to bring home 2 fish when you have to spend hundreds of dollars, and drive hundreds of miles. I do it, and dont even keep a fish. I tell you when the bite is on, its priceless! Walleyes are second to none, crappies have slowed but there are alot of monsters inthere yet, pike, nothing like having one of them nail your line when expecting a 18 inch walleye to be there. Just the solitude, is worth something, to be on vacation with friends and family, is worth alot also. I fish URL and havent ever taken a fish home with me! Is it worth it, yep! Will I do it again, as much as I can! If I want fish to eat, there are alot cheaper options then to go north and expect to feed the family. But the fun to be had and the chances of having a fishing trip to never forget, is more then worth it to me!

Interesting post!! Heres my two cents. Three reasons that I can think of for the low fisherman count.

1) King Walleye. Look at your local lakes, once walleye season closed, there is hardly any activity. Real fisherman only fish walleyes. If you're out fishing panfish you're not really fishing (note sarcasm). Once walleye season opens back up on Red in May the landings will be packed.

2) Distance. Its both a dollar and time drain to drive to Red. I can justify the dollars, there isn't really that big of a difference between $2 gas and $3 gas but its a 4.5 hour drive one way, longer in tough weather. I really, really wish Red was only 1.5 hours away, I'd have a permanent fishhouse on Red.

3) The easy catching is done. If you could still go out anywhere, drill holes, and catch limits of slab crappies, there would be lots more people. Another reason that people will crowd back for the walleye opener is that they walleyes are stacked up and easy to catch. Once the bite fades in July, the crowds die down.

I know that I look forward to my trips to Red, I'd like to do it more often, but with my SoDak trips, deer hunting, camping, etc. if I made more trips to Red the wife wouldn't be pleased. Looking forward to the day when I'm retired and can do more trips, get Jon to take me out on that big pike hunt, come up spring fishing when its not a zoo, etc. Its one nice lake to fish!!!

I'm with you Kelly. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy catching fish, but good friends are hard to come by. If you miss a fish there is always another one to come along, but mess up a friendship and you may never get that one back.

I love that one guys signature line

"Good friends are like butt cheeks...[PoorWordUsage] may separate them but they still come back together.

Love it and use it all the time now, thanks

I know what it is... people just discovered there are no bass in the lake, who wants to go fish a lake with no bass? We all know bass are the king of freshwater sportfish grin.gif

Originally Posted By: river rat316
I know what it is... people just discovered there are no bass in the lake, who wants to go fish a lake with no bass? We all know bass are the king of freshwater sportfish grin.gif

But we do have bass, one was caught in the test nets last summer. So it is not big population but we had a bass. Just think of the challenge, 107,832 acres of water and you have to find that bass.

We have seen some bluegills in the test nets and even a few catches, by little kids of course in a boat canal last summer.

Originally Posted By: wanger29
Aren't bass rough fish anyways?

Nope, pike feed. \:D

my 2 cents, there are a few different types of fishermen, sorry ladies. Fisher people. Some are meat hogs, some like to catch fish and bring home to eat, some like to go out catch release and enjoy the sport of it. Lets face it the bottom line is for all types of anglers is one thing; THE LAKE NEEDS TO HOLD ENOUGH FISH TO PROVIDE AN AMPLE BITE for anglers to come back. Some comments above about not about not taking any fish home; ok true for him and VERY FEW others. I would not goto the same lake trip after trip if it did not produce a bite. Seriously how many people would? Red still holds enough fish to be an average lake. You will catch walleye; but again the TYPE of angler applies here. You need to decdide if it is worth the drive for 2 walleye. One thing that has changed over the past few years are the NUMBER OF CRAPPIE in the lake. This the biggest difference. I have read on this site over the years the debate on crappie VS walleye. It is becomming evident that the lake was better a crappie lake. The vast crowds are gone. Yes it was a ghost town up there last weekend. Kida sad but lots more lake for my group and nobody drilling a hole through your boot as you caught a crappie. The little cities have dissapeared. The traffic jams getting off the lake at 9:30 PM are gone; and soon so will all the crappies. Ya you will still catch one here and there but nothing like the way it used to be. What you will have is a trophy walleye lake. Hopefully enough fishermen will come to support the the people who rely on the lake for a living. And the other part of the lake should be happy. We have a group of people that pull wheel houses 350 miles. We leave the houses up there for a month and return 1 or 2 more times. In our case we did talk about not going next year. These were the reasons why; Better bite on local lakes; cost of gas and cost of trip in general. The experience is priceless but.......

THE LAKE NEEDS TO HOLD ENOUGH FISH TO PROVIDE AN AMPLE BITE for anglers to come back.

I fished Red several times this winter with some great success and some not so great, but every time I was there the lake had enough fish for an ample bite. I grew up in northern Minnesota fishing smaller lakes as well as the big lake with the big difference being on the small lake when the crappie started biting the lake would get cleaned out and it would be at least a couple of years before you would catch keeper. The crappies on Red have been hammered for years so yes, the numbers are not what they were -- but there are more around than some people think.

I agree completely with some of the previous posts -- if the only reason you want to go to Waskish is to catch limits of fish, you are missing out on a chance to meet some of the greatest people in the world.

I understand the negative stance on this issue although just as some have stated it is personal feelings. Now I have talked with a few guys that are not coming back, some even cussed the lake and the people because they could not catch a limit with ease. So onto the next hot bite or lake for those anglers until that lake slows down.

Now many anglers look past the current bite to both history and factual data collected. Yes crappie numbers are down from five years ago, down from three years ago even down from last year I’m sure. We have that strong 96 year class fish that is harvest at a steady rate. Of course numbers are down, it is basic math. Although to say the lake is cleaned out or not enough fish left in the water is somewhat of a hard line approach. Last winter was a strong year as was last summer. The main complaint last season was people sick of catching walleyes all day when targeting crappies. Walleye where referred to as bait burning nuisance fish. Crappies came in with high numbers with a few weeks where the bite got tough due to conditions. We currently have plenty of fish to go around, just some tough conditions. We are currently seeing a steady upward trend in catch rates and angler success. Some limits coming in and the old bait burning walleyes are back. Now these fish didn’t just appear out of thin air or where created by some immaculate mid winter spawn that created 17-20” walleyes, our conditions are changing that’s all. Fishing is fishing, some years catching is great and some years catching is not so great, but that is not the point. The point is the entire experience. Do you enjoy fishing? Did you and your buddies have a great time? Did somebody land a bigger fish that was not expected? Did you learn something about the fishery, tactics, yourself as a sportsman or did the challenging conditions shroud what should have been a good time?

Now the only solid response I can come up with for anglers that want a guaranteed limit or freezer full of fillets is to look into trout tanks at the fair for limits and fish lockers for meat. Red lake is not a trout tank and it is not a meat locker, it is a body of water governed by mother nature and sometimes she is going to do what ever the heck she wants. She is tricky that way.

i just cant see the 2 walleye limit making it worth while for me to drive all that way. I cant even bring home enough for a meal for my family. maybey i should just stop and buy some at the processing plant.that makes no sense either but it aint up to me! !

If you figured the cost per pound of walleye you wouldn't go fishing on any lake - even one 10 miles away. It will still cost you something .You would be better off stopping at the supermarket for some fish if cost was/is the determining factor to going fishing. I think what some of the posters are saying is that cost is not the main reason that governs their decision to go to Red Lake (or any lake). The lake, area/location, fishery, and local people are all reasons that attract people to Red Lake and although there is a monetary cost, they are willing to bite the bullet and sacrifice elsewhere because of these reasons.

Shakey

No doubt on the cost per fish but there is a point at wich it costs to much to make it worth while. thats why i dont go to Canada every year! To much money! There is also the time factor. another 3hrs of road time each way is 6 hours of fishing time. add all the money trip time and no fish to bring back and its not a very actractive destination. thats just my opinion but by the looks of how barren its getting i am not the only one!

I think it is very hard for the people that make their living there and the people that fell in love with the locals are having a hard time hearing people talk like this. It is hard to face the facts and comments after a tough year. Its like the feeling I get when hearing Jeff Dubay talk about how his Gophers beat my Mavricks in hockey. It is very hard for me to bear with it. I feel their pain. But I am sure the lake will be very good again and when it is I will be there. Until then??????

I've said it before and I'll say it again....I wouldnt drive to Northern Wisconsin (7hrs away) for a duck hunting trip. I am going to go where the ducks are...the other direction. The reason why we leave for trips is because the hunting /fishing situation is significantly better than where they are. WHAT PART OF THAT DONT PEOPLE UNDERSTAND. IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

mother nature gives it, mother nature take it away, its that simple. Enjoy what we had and hope it gets better next year.

Just got back from a fantastic trip up to URL. Not a fisherman in sight. We appeared to have the lake to ourselves! The people were very nice at Westwinds resort and the fish house was fantastic. I am amazed that during our children's spring break, when it is the perfect bonding time to be with kids and family, we were alone. I guess we want them to play video games instead? What are the legislature and the DNR thinking? (That's another topic for someother day.) In less than two days of fishing we caught 40 walleyes, 2 northern pike, and no crappies. To say that I spent all that money, drove all those miles, to just hang around the people up there would be well...I can do that at home. The fishing was good and I will be back next year and the year after until it's over. The truth that I see is the walleye fishery, although fantastic by any measure, is not the cure for tourism in the URL area. I believe that by any measure you can think of, the crappie fishing in the hey days will have brought in more money, more people, and more economic wealth to the area then the walleye fishing will have until some big things change in the future.

The one reason i do like going to Red is the people up there. Johnny and Kelly are 1st rate guys! So are a lot of other people up there!