• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Otter II Sled - Addition

I thought I would post my latest project on the site. It's a bench seat for my otter sled. This may be an idea for someone looking to do something to prepare for the hard water. I also posted some pictures on my site to make things easier. Now I'm off to find something to hang my lantern.

www.howwedoin.5u.com (CLICK: Ice Fishing Sled) - I apologise for the pop up windows...it's a free site!

Let me know what you think & give some more ideas like this to make.

Good idea. Just curious, how is the stability? It looks like it may be prone to flip over if you sit on one side. It also looks like you're be sitting pretty low, how is it on the back and knees?

Well for stability it's good I guess I only sat on it in my garage. As for the back and the knees for me it's perfect cause I'm short rolleyes.gif5'2". I stood on the bench and it's a little shakey, (175 lb). I guess if you made something like this you could make legs that go to the bottom of the sled but you might be better off using a chair or a bucket.

The reason I made this was cause I was getting sick of ruining my hands when I tried to open my (tall) frabil bucket. I also wanted something to do on Saturday!

5'2" v. 6'4" would make a big difference smile.gif Like I said looks like a great idea, I've been contriving a number of different plans for a seat in my portable and I liked your design but looks like it may have some drawbacks for a taller guy like me.

AH HA! Finally a good reason to be short! grin.gif AND we're closer to the fish! Kidding.

Maybe I'll think of something for those taller people! (knee pads):P I'm just goofing around! Thanks for the reply!

My lil bro got an otter last year and I was thinking of buying him a seat ($$bling$$) for it for x-mas...but if someone has a good technique for a homemade version that would be cool - that way I could make the seat for two anglers, then I could go with and be comfortable too - he's 6'2", I'm more "wedoin's" size, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a solution for hanging your lantern that has worked great for me. Drill a small hole through the aluminum support rod that is directly over the part of the hut above the holes. Put an 's' hook (like the ones on either side of a bungee strap) through the hole and hang your lantern from there. Watch your head when getting in and out of the door, though. Simple and cheap.

This is what I did with my sled...I will try and describe the best I can. Two 2-4's the width of the sled, notched on the ends so they sit on the width of the sled without sliding.(one towards the front of the sled and one towards the back of the sled) Now take two more 2-4's (almost) the length of the sled and attach them on top of the width 2-4's . (Keep the two length 2-4's about 6" apart and just on the inside edge of your sled) Now take your swivel boat seats, or for about $12.00 a peice at fleet farm, (plastic swivel seats)and mount these on top of the top length 2-4's, or just simply make a bench. Now if you are still with me?..... You can, by turning the whole contraption around, be either sitting in the sled, or on the edge with your feet on ice. I still have the magority of the sled for gear and i dont have to do anything with the seats everything packs and folds up around them. "REAL COMPHY" all for about $35.00. I mounted three seats in mine it works great. I just hope that someone will be able to understand what I have been trying to describe. Good luck and be safe smile.gif

Pman-

Hanging the Lantern-
The "s" hook idea is a good one, but I don't like the Idea of drilling holes into the support of my otter Lodge.

I have used one of those metal shower curtain ring for years. I just clip it on the poles where I want the light. If you bump it when you get up there is no way that it can fall. When you're done for the day/night, just unclip the lantern and close the ring and it stays right there. It won't damage the tent material and you won't be searching for it the next time you head out in the ice. I have also used stiff coated electrical wire, now I can adjust the lantern lower if need be.(some of those larger shacks are pretty tall)

Those rings also work great for hanging gloves, hand towels(I put a hole in them), mobil phone lanyards, any thing you can think of. The are real strong(metal ones). Anyone have wet or frozen gloves in the bottom of your sled, after a long day.

Give It a try and let me know what you think.

Be safe out there- Brandt

[This message has been edited by river-rat4 (edited 12-07-2003).]

PAKman,
For hanging my lantern I was thinking of one of those shepard hooks. I found one at Big Lots for $5 but I haven't been there since. I can't drill a hole in my support beam cause I don't have a support beam on my little otter sled. wink.gif What I'm trying to do with this sled is to make it work for me and have everything easily accessable with a quick set up that will fit in the trunk of my car. I'm now thinking of something like a radio antenna on how it swivels down the length of the sled, tight enough so it won't fall if the sled is bumped.

I do the same thing as P-man with my Eskimo, but those hooks from standard bungee cords fit right over the poles in my shack. I didn't have to drill holes at all, different shacks though, the poles might be different.