• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Free agency

Eric Wettschreck

Vikings signed LB Dallas Sartz, formerly of the Redskins.

Sartz was the 'Skins' fifth-round pick in 2007, but didn't impress in camp and was out of football. He's likely only being brought in as a practice body.

Vikings signed DL Ellis Wyms to a one-year contract.

Wyms, 29 in April, had five sacks as an on-and-off starter for Tampa Bay in 2006, but struggled for playing time with Seattle last year. While he can play end and tackle, Wyms likely won't be considered for the Vikes' vacancy at LE.

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

Related: Seahawks, Titans

Not huge signs, but filled a couple holesin camp.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tisosy11

• Scott K

• james_walleye

• LMITOUT

yeah - the vikings are still active. I like that and they are getting some guys that don't cost that much!

"Vikings coach Brad Childress said Tuesday that he doesn't know if DE Erasmus James will ever be able to play again.

James has had three knee surgeries in the last 12 months. The Vikings will consider anything he offers in 2008 a bonus. With Kenechi Udeze (leukemia) even less likely to help, defensive end remains a big need area for the club."

"The Vikings will host free agent Gus Frerotte on Wednesday.

A big downgrade from their initial target, Sage Rosenfels, but he would've cost a second-round pick. Frerotte, 36, should only cost a league minimum salary, but the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports he'll visit with Green Bay first."

We need to get at least one good DE in here before the draft. Peppers, Taylor, I dont care, get them in here, or we will be in the bottom of pass D again this year.

Did you see John Randle on Pros vs Joes? Maybe we should talk him out of retirement.. grin.gif

HAHA he was still a madman on that show! Spittin in his glove and wiping it across his face! He should of painted his face like he used too!!

Vikings sign Boulware/UPDATE

March 20th, 2008 – 4:00 PM by Judd Zulgad

That was quick.

The Vikings signed free agent Michael Boulware today, giving them depth at safety. Boulware came in for a visit today; he visited with the Carolina Panthers on Monday. “I had a great meeting with the coaches and liked the direction that the organization is going,” Boulware told my colleague Kevin Seifert as he rode to the airport. “I think this gives me a great opportunity to come here and get better as a player.”

Boulware spent last season with the Houston Texans and the organization wanted to use him at linebacker. Boulware will serve as a backup safety and also play on special teams. The Vikings now have Darren Sharper and Madieu Williams as their starting safeties; Boulware and Eric Frampton are the backups.

UPDATE: Also signing today was DT Kendrick Allen, who was last with Green Bay in 2006. He played in two games and spent the rest of the season on injured reserve.

Boulware and Allen...why can't they sign a DE for depth.

I do like what they have done really so far. Interested in this McKinnie issue...

I would like to see us keep Mckinnie, and trade a couple picks for Peppers. Maybe next years first, and this years 3rd.

If this lack of activity for DEs keeps up I got a bad feeling we will need to use every pick of the draft on DE and hope a couple work out.

The Minnesota Vikings just signed safety Michael Boulware and defensive tackle Kenderick Allen. With the signing of Boulware this will make it interesting to see our competitive safety position all fighting for a starting spot.

In Boulware’s first career start at Minnesota in 2004, he notched a sack and intercepted Randy Moss on a reverse pass. Now he is on our side!

I haven't heard much of DT Kenderick Allen. Is he any good?

CB Sapp agrees to deal

The Vikings added some depth at cornerback this morning, as free agent Benny Sapp agreed to terms on a one-year, $705,000 contract.

Sapp, who will receive a $100,000 signing bonus, appeared in 56 games in four seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, with six starts and two interceptions.

In other free-agent news, defensive end James Hall, who visited the Vikings recently, re-signed with the St. Louis Rams.

Farwell signs tender

The Vikings announced the re-signing of linebacker Heath Farwell, their lone restricted free agent.

Farwell, who led the Vikings with a career-high 32 special teams tackles last season, said Monday that he would sign his one-year, $1.4 million tender and continue discussions on a long-term deal during the season.

I see us taking two DEs early in the draft... a 2 and a 4 maybe or a 2 and a 3

Also there could be some draft day trades involving your favorite team!

Vikings closing in on Frerotte

April 1st, 2008 – 9:09 AM by Kevin Seifert

PALM BEACH, FLA. — With the Houston Texans apparently intent on keeping QB Sage Rosenfels, indications are strong this morning that the Vikings are nearing an agreement with free agent QB Gus Frerotte.

Frerotte, who also has visited the Green Bay Packers, could agree to terms in the next few days. He would serve as a veteran backup for starter Tarvaris Jackson.

Frerotte was with the Vikings in 2003 and 2004 before leaving to sign with Miami and later St. Louis.

The Vikings have been attempting to trade for Rosenfels for much of the offseason, but Texans coach Gary Kubiak made a compelling case this morning for why the team doesn’t want to trade him.

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Vikings have reached an agreement in principle with free agent QB Gus Frerotte.

Like the Bears, Minnesota is aiming low for their pass game, which is bad news for Sidney Rice's value. The Vikes are likely to continue looking for quarterbacks in the draft, but Frerotte has a shot at playing time as long as it's just Tarvaris Jackson ahead of him on the depth chart. The Vikings' situation this season could force him into playing time this year. Looks like Sage Rosenfels will stay put in Houston. Apr. 2 - 10:23 am et

Ferotte..

Not a very exciting pick up. In fact, it makes me a bit sick to my stomach.

Every Vikings fan should vigorously pray that T-Jack turns into a solid player.

Childress: No extension looming for Birk

April 2nd, 2008 – 12:07 PM by Kevin Seifert

PALM BEACH, FLA. — Coach Brad Childress confirmed the Vikings have no plans to extend the contract of C Matt Birk, explaining that he prefers to see how Birk plays in 2008 before determining whether the Vikings want to retain him.

Birk was informed of that decision earlier this offseason. In response, he said last month that he would skip the voluntary portion of the Vikings’ conditioning program, including all Organized Training Activities.

“We usually get into these things during the year,” Childress said when asked why the Vikings aren’t touching Birk’s contract, which will pay him a total of $5.72 million this season before expiring in March 2009.

“He’s been a loyal guy,” Childress added. “He’s been a good football player. He’s been a Pro Bowler. Just the fact that you want to see. You want to see him play. He may afford us the opportunity to re-sign him or he may stick his nose up in the air. I just want to see him play, that’s all. I think people make a lot of it. He’s got a contract. He’s got a good contract. Everyone wants to get a year ahead of themselves. Let’s take it one day at a time.”

In other news, Childress confirmed the Vikings are deep in discussions on a contract with free agent QB Gus Frerotte but the deal is not completed.

Look for more updates on Birk and the rest of our breakfast interview with Childress once we wash down the Eggs Benedict … er, finish transcribing.

I guess I will go on record as saying I am glad we got Frerotte. It was obivous we were not going to get Rosenfels unless we gave up a 2nd rounder and that is too much IMO to give up for a back-up QB. We have to put our trust in TJack, who has only started like 12 games or so as a professional...Let see what he can do this year. What other QB was out there to sign (as back-up. I think that is the key here...the QB signed was going to be a back-up anyway...we all know the TJACK experience will at least be for this year...then Chilly and all of us can evaluate him and see if we need to go after a top notch QB in the draft next year or seek any possible (starting) free agent QBs to lead us next year.

I will admit I for one was not a huge TJack fan, but last year he show me a little potential...that maybe he could be a good QB..prolly will never be a great one...but there are plenty of good/avg/below avg qbs that have won a superbowl...ekhmmm (Manning/Giants)

GO VIKES!!

Quote:
but there are plenty of good/avg/below avg qbs that have won a superbowl...ekhmmm (Manning/Giants)

Favre grin.gif

Sorry I couldnt resist!

Ahha - when favre won his superbowl he was one of the greater quarterbacks in the league...ever?

The last ten years of his career drops him out of the great conversation!

McKinnie gets June trial date

Vikings offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie has been given a June 2 trial date in Miami-Dade County Court on charges stemming from his Feb. 24 arrest outside a Miami nightclub.

McKinnie, who was not present at today's hearing, faces four charges, including felony battery, as the result of a fight with a member of the club's security staff.

He previously pleaded not guilty to all charges.

"We're preparing for trial and going forward with the discovery process," his attorney, Larry Kerr, said. "Other than that, I have no further comment."

McKinnie has been arrested four times since joining the Vikings in 2002 and faces a possible NFL suspension or fine under the league's personal conduct policy if the case is not dropped.

Looks like we are going to have to find a replacement for the 08 season!

easy now. He hasn't been convicted and if he gets anything it will likely be 4 games...

• 2 weeks later...

we can get a pretty good quality o-line player with our 2nd pick....now that DE is taken care of we should be focusing on the o-line with that 2nd.

Originally Posted By: FISHINGURU
we can get a pretty good quality o-line player with our 2nd pick....now that DE is taken care of we should be focusing on the o-line with that 2nd.

Exactly, the line is getting older, and one player may not be playing this season! So we need to plan for that!

And just think if the Vikes would have landed Aaron Kampman a couple years ago. That would have been a fearsome foursome.

Don't give up on Robison and co. that 4th spot could come up with a lot of action when they put three on the wall and 2 on allen!!!

I didn't realize that The Hall Of Fame only judges QB's on their last ten years??? Here's some stats from some great players (last 10 years):

Montana Yds/28,572 TD's/195 Int/95 Games Played/155

Marino Yds/33,508 TD's/127 Int/127 Games Played/172

Elway Yds/33,331 TD's/167 Int/130 Games Played/167

Favre Yds/39,064 TD's/260 Int/193 Games Played/169

Career Stats:

Montana Yds/40,551 TD's/273 Int/139 QB Rating 92.3

Marino Yds/61,331 TD's/420 Int/252 QB Rating 86.4

Elway Yds/51,475 TD's/300 Int/226 QB Rating 79.9

Favre Yds/61,655 TD's/442 Int/288 QB Rating 85.7