• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's our time on 'Tonka!

united jigsticker

I made it out to "Tonka" Sunday from 12:00 to 8:00PM cold & no "eyes". Just 2 northerns (1 small & 1 decent). Marking fish on the electronics at 20 to 25 fow just off the steep breaks. Could it be, has the phenominal shallow bite ended, have they gone to there winter holes now?

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CALVINIST

• Tonka Boy

• schr0563

• markkstanley

Badluck,

It has been my experience, when the northerns start showing, the walleyes are moving out. Not to say you don't have a shot at an eye still, but the numbers aren't there any more. Time to look to the wintering holes indeed.

I'm going out tonight...late again. It'll be interesting to see if this one spot will kick out a fish or two...I'm confident it will. I was marking fish in this area in the deep holes at the end of the break.

Calvinist,

Don't be afraid to go really deep. Sharpest breaks into the deepest part of the lake, there are many where you are fishing. 55'-60' (but the more typical depth would be 35'-45') would not be out of the question. When you find them this time of the year you will be on them until ice-up. I'll be back on the lake Wednesday.

Good luck

I finally got a few walleye on cranks last night, trolling the weeds. 23, 21, & 20

Despite heavy pressure from the wife (who thinks I am crazy) I'm not putting away the boat yet! Maybe I can eek out another walleye or two.

My girlfiend thinks I'm crazy for fishing in this cold weather to. If she think this is crazy I wonder what she's going to say when the high for the day is 0. D'oh! We need to start an excuse to go fishing thread!

Here's my excuse...I told my wife I have to go at least one more time in order to run the fuel out of the motor.

I was curious myself, but regardless, I'll be going out tonight (breaking through if I have to) to "run the gas out of the motor" and wet my line one last time before I put the boat away to bed for the winter frown.gif. Maybe those sucker minnows I have will catch me a trophy. Any reports on ice conditions at Gray's would be appreciated. Anyone else planning on heading out tonight? I'll be in the red 16' Lowe.

Calvanist, I have to admit, your probably a bit more of a die hard than myself! I was out from shore early Thurs morning, couldn't keep my line from freezing up in the tip of my pole were the ice would form. After a while of that, I dumped my minnows out on the shore, and told myself that's enough for this season. Did you ever make it out Fri? what's the report??

Here's my excuse: "Sweetie, soon the lake will freeze." If that doesn't work, try this one: "If I go north I can get some juicy early ice conditions!"

ice

I made it out for a couple hours, but nada. Boat is put away, and now I have to figure out what I am going to do for the next four months, seeing I am not outfitted for ice-fishing (yet) I'll probably get out on the ice at least a few times though.

Cal, I'll be headed down to Pool 4 on and off all winter. My boat is in the garage and ready to go. Tonka Boy usually comes along. Better than ice fishing, you can use your open water stuff but it is a tad bit colder - no ice house means no heater. Any Sat when temps are above mid 20s and wind is mild I usually plan on going to Red Wing. Just drop me an e-mail. I may be headed there this Sat in fact. I'll make the call Thursday or Friday.

Thanks for the offer Mark; I'll definitely take you up on that, however I won't be able to make it this saturday. When you go, what time do you normally leave and get back?

Usually leave about 6am and head back anywhere from 2pm to 5pm depending on the bite - both fish and frost.

Markkstanley, if you have any room and Cal can not make it, I love to fish the river. Because my boat is stored out side this year I put it away today in the backyard. [email protected]

Still debating about this weekend. I'll let you know and I'll zip you an e-mail about future dates. I might opt to hit muskies on Tonka one more time this Sat. 38" is simply not acceptable as the biggest musky for the year.