• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's our time on 'Tonka!

united jigsticker

I plan on taking the clan out tomorrow morning too. If you see a red 1800 Lund Fisherman say hi or call out on the radio.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CALVINIST

• Tonka Boy

• schr0563

• markkstanley

I am trying the lake for the first time. So hopefully i will have some luck out on the lake. So if anyone sees a rental boat. That will be me. Hopefully someone can give me some clues to this lake.

thank you

NFF,

What are you fishing for, and what time of day are you going out?

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

I am hoping to be on the lake from 10 in the morning to about 4 in the afternoon . So that i can make it back home just in time to see the ending of the Twins game. But I am not sure what I am really fishing. The only fish that I normally catch are Bass, I am really dying to catch my first ever walleye.
I am renting a boat and going at it solo. I hope that the rental place will also be kind enough to put me onto some fish

That's too bad that you got the fishing bug, but have to rent a boat in order to get out. Did you know that there are probably some good areas to shore fish on Tonka? Post on the shore fishing thread and someone should be able to help you out there. As far as fishing for walleyes, just review the many pages of this thread, or the "minnetonka walleyes" thread, and there should be plenty of info for you. Tedious, I know, but that knowledge is well worth it. Otherwise, if you want to get out with me sometime, you are welcome. I have next monday evening open, as well as next friday.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 10-08-2004).]

Went out Sat. AM. Nothing to report other than no walleyes. Perhaps this next cold front will do something. Or maybe I need to be fishing at night, or trying different places or all the above....Anyone else have any luck?

This morning I lost about a 40"er boatside...I had her up by the boat, (I have no muskie net) and had my hand firmly around the tail. Then, putting the rod down and trying to lift her into boat, she slipped and then got off frown.gif. Then I came back to about the same spot later, and had another 40"er follow-up. (actually three follows; I think it was the same fish). Althought that first fish would have been boated if I had a net, losing fish boatside like that breaks my heart...it's just not the same as getting the fish in the boat. Oh well, I am going out again in a couple hours, maybe I'll focus more on walleyes, but not necessarily wink.gif.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

Calvinist--How'd you do last night? Any luck with the walleye's? I'm wondering what this approaching cold front is going to do for tonight....

Calvininst,

I've got a net that you can use. You just need to guide me to a good spot first!

Night trolling will start soon but with the warm weather there has still been a lot of boats out turning up the weeds. The cold front that is coming will take care of most of those fair weather guys!

Would it be worth my time to cast cranks into the channels tonight or is it too early? Looking for walleyes. Never tried this but heard it can be productive this time of year.

[This message has been edited by Sko (edited 10-12-2004).]

When I went out again last nite, I was chuckin' for ski's for a couple hours...nothing. Then fished for walleyes but no luck there. Oddly, I spent the last hour and half fishing for crappies by the lighted bridge by Gray's...a few chips, but no slabs...fun nonetheless. Sadly, I didn't sleep much last nite because I kept on replaying the loss of the nearly boated muskie over and over again in my head. Jackpot, If you want to get out so I can use your net, that would be great. I don't want to suffer the loss of another muskie ever again (it's happened twice this year now). I must think "muskie net" for priority spending for 2005...even if it looks rediculously out of place in my humble little boat.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 10-12-2004).]

Calvinist,

You get out much for night trolling? I will be out tonight. Black/tan Crestliner with 70 Suzuki tiller and an American flag on the anchor light. Give me a wave and we can chat about netting techniques grin.gif

Jackpot,

Are you talking about night trolling for muskies or walleyes? I wouldn't mind doing either, however, if I were to night troll for ski's I would most certainly need another body in the boat. I'm not going out tonight. I do plan on getting up very early tomorrow morning and checking out some walleye spots, and then once day breaks, I want to fish for some ski's. Hopefully, if I get a big 'ol fish on, I can use my past experiences to get her in the boat. I have done this twice twice this year without a net, 42" and 43" respectively. I'll tell you what though, it is an interesting challenge to boat a ski without a net. I just don't know how I will handle it if I should happen to get "the BIG one" on shocked.gif! If you want to get out some morning or evening, i'm more than game, as long as you got a net wink.gif. Just let me know.

Good luck

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 10-14-2004).]

Calvinist,

I will be up on the Rainy this week so won't get back to Tonka till the 25th or so. I'll let you know when I will be out.

Jackpot,

What are you chasin' up there...walleyes? Ski's? Hope you have a good trip cool.gif. Last year, my 1st year muskie fishing, I put away all my stuff in late September, but this year I plan on keeping it out till ice up.

Good luck up there.

Went out Sat. AM for eyes with no luck (as usual), started before sunrise throwing husky jerks, swithed to jigs after sunrise. I plan to go out Wed. evening.

Was out last night. Water temp 51 and looks like the lake turned over. Nothing shallow. Found a big school with some nice arches mixed in 20ft off a point but no takers. Looks like we are going to have to be a little more mobile for a few days searching for fish on deeper breaks. The milfoil has really laid down too.

I was out on last Sunday. I hit a few new spots since my regular spots were only producing a few fish per night. Ended up with 3 walleyes (13, 16, 20) and 3 crappies. Not bad for exploring. Man was it cold and wet!

I'm heading out tonight with Lots of Luck. Hopefully we'll come up with something. Schr... care to give up depth you were at? I think we're planning to fish deep rocks about 30' and see what happens and try shallower as the night goes on....

Schro,

When you are fishing shallow, as you say in 14 FOW, are you on the inside of a deep weed edge? Are you in sparse weed cover then or thick? Are you jigging above the weeds or in the pockets? I want to try something new; if you could help me out here that would be great.

Thanks wink.gif

Hey, Calvie, come out to rush lake saturday! We are doing a GEM kids outing , hopefully the eyes are biting, but if not, the crappies are pretty reliable in there.

Sounds like fun, Cyberfish, unfortunately, I cannot pull my boat because the clutch in my truck is fried frown.gif. Fortunately I'm getting it fixed this weekend smile.gif. If you got room in your boat I'll consider, otherwise, we'll have to make plans for an upcoming saturday. Maybe we could hit Red Rock for some pannies? Mmmmmm, yum, yum!

Hey Guys, I almost always target 14-18 feet of water. My typical spot includes an area about 100 yards long with steep drops near outside weed edges. I also try to locate regions that contain saddle features between points along with scattered rock piles. Each time I'm out the walleyes WILL key in on some portion of this, it is simply a matter of finding them. Now as the sharp weed edges are breaking down, my area becomes less defined, and sometimes you need to extend beyond your typical spot to catch fish. Another hint, even on the worst days for fishing, the walleyes will feed as the sun goes down.

I am planning on going out tonight. Is anyone else going to be out there? I have studied my maps hard and feel really good about a spot I am going to try. Should be great, right weather, approaching the best moon phases, right time of year, tons of hungry walleyes... I'll be in a white Alumacraft with a 40 hp Mercury, maybe you'll see me out there.

I'll be on the west end with Mark Stanley and Calvinist. If you see a navy blue smoker w/3 guys, stop on by and say hello.

Tonka Boy scored last night - again. I'm getting real good with his net. Muskies were moving around but no biting. Walleyes weren't doing much either. Going out again tonight if the weather permits.

I found a tough bite last night as well. I spent more time than usual casting for muskies, but to no avail. The strong winds really made boat control a problem. I probably should have moved to quieter waters. Hopefully the nasty weather holds off long enough for me to get out again tonight. We'll see.

Fished Minnetonka yesterday and put a 51" in the boat in the early afternoon. Hopefully the pattern will continue.

I think I owe you a few nets now Mark. I'm sure you'll make up for it on Monday though. Good luck to you!