• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's our time on 'Tonka!

united jigsticker

Three of us managed to get 5 walleyes between 15 and 21 inches tonight, with a few smaller ones, and a bonus 41 inch muskie. The bite was constant, but slow the entire time we fished (4-8 pm). Hopefully if I get out again on Sunday the fish will be more active.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CALVINIST

• Tonka Boy

• schr0563

• markkstanley

What kind of pattern were you using? I got out last Tuesday, first time in about two weeks, and they were not where they use to be. I haven't given bobber fishing channels a try yet.

Are you jig fishing, and if so, how deep?

We caught all of our fish on jigs and fatheads, even that muskie. They seemed to be relating to 17 feet of water. A few weeks ago we caught more out of 15 feet, but we only had a few that shallow this time.

Seeing that the weather might cooperate over the next week, I am not ready to put the boat away yet. I want to fish West Tonka, for walleye but dont know the availability of launching sites this late in the year. Spring Park bay had a sign indicating that it will be closed for repairs after nov. 10th, so I dont know if that will be available come weekend. I was wondering if anyone knows what launching sites are available.

Thanks,

<><
Calvinist
><>

Gonna hit her tomorrow. Anybody got any suggestions as far as where a guy should try for wallys and craps midday? Thanks!

mm

A buddy of mine was out last weekend and caught (and released) 25-30 crappies, all w/in 3/4 to 1#. I even saw some of the pic's. He also got 3 eyes I think. One was 22". He did all this from noon until 3:00 cause he came in to watch the Vikes, but he should have just stayed out instead!
Coach Dog

Thanks CoachDog!
I would assume that he was fishing fairly deep possibly off the end of a point? Any details (except exact locations, of course) would be great. Thanks!

mm

Yeah, he was fishing off a point. I know where, but he said I can't tell. You know how it is! Caught 'em in the water, right?
Anyway, the way he talked he caught them in 12-15' of water, suspended a few feet off the bottom. He said he just trolled back and forth over the same spot and the fish were "on". He was really surprised. I don't know where he got the eyes though.

Hit it one last time tonight before winter sets in. We had about a dozen walleyes with the largest ones going 24 and 26 inches, as well as several northerns and crappies. Suprisingly, we actually got blown off of our honey hole and ended up exploring new territory when we happened upon these fish. This fall has been unbelievable, and I can't wait for the lake to freeze. That's when the fishing really gets good.

Man this lake is full of walleyes...

Waterfowler,

I almost always put in at Carson's Bay. I like to fish Excelsior, Gideons, Carsons, St. Louis, etc, so that is a convenient launch that sees little to no use when fall rolls around. It's funny too, because the permit parking ends in October. Anyway, last night I also put in at Carsons, so that wasn't me in Mound.

I'm gonna hit the lake tomorrow morning if I don't have to scoop the driveway. I just talked with dad in central SD. He's got over two inches on the ground. It's on the way.......Maybe I can squeeze in one last lake trip??? I'll be on the west end though. I've got on spot on Carsons I should venture over an try, but without the bouys I'm kind of lost. Just haven't spent enough time on the lake yet.....

Scro,

Did you put in at the Mound landing?? I see there were 3 or 4 boats pulling out when I was headed home. Driving through the lake isn't the quickest way home, but it's the most peaceful.

• 9 months later...

Hey Tonkaheads...I learned so much from this thread last fall that I thought I would resurrect it. I'm anxious to apply all that I have learned throughout the year to fishing for walleyes (and ski's) this fall on Tonka. Haven't been out on Tonka for quite awhile, but soon enough I'll be into "fall walleye mode" for sure. Anyone else as anxious as I am to enjoy the fall fishing bite on Tonka?

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

I will difinetly be out on TaTonka this Fall working the bucket mouths and skies. Can't wait! October is the best time to be out there. I've even given up much of my duck hunting to enjoy the benefits of Fall fishing out there.

Phew! I thought I was going crazy confused.gif when everyone started talking about putting their boats away due to hard water. Lucky I read that last post.

I'M NOT READY YET!!!

I'm just looking to improve on last fall's numbers. I remember I had a heck of a time getting my first walleye on Tonka about this time last year. This year I faired o.k. I really can't complain...several eyes in the mid-20's; including a 28", and a couple of skis; now if I can only see the numbers go up, all will be well in the fishing world grin.gif.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 09-13-2004).]

Bear-Arm,

If you are up for some waterfowl hunting and fall fishing you can count me in. Hopefully it will turn out better then the last time we managed to get out. I can still see you horizontal above the ground as you are falling on the vermillion access.

I wondered how such a lengthy thread had escaped my notice, then I read the dates. Cute that Calvinist, now a stalwart contributor to the Tonka threads, was groveling for any crumb of knowledge just a year ago. Means there's hope for me to catch a fish or two. So here's my grovel:
I read the threads looking for a bait preference in there, no clear signals. The crawlers dried up for me in early August for walleyes and I've been in a slump since. I've tried leeches and fatheads and crawlers lately, not much. Are there rules or theories about when the transition to minnows takes place, and how late the crawlers work? I'm dyin' here, need help.

ice

Ice9
As far as bait goes, I have found that a fathead on a jig is my most consistent producer. I ocasionally try leeches and crawlers in July/August, but I also have fatheads along to fall back on. Sunday evening, for example, I caught 4 walleyes as the sun went down all on a jig and minnow. That wasn't bad for only being out there an hour or so.

Ice9,

I really liked this thread; it was sort of my initiation into F.M. And I'm still always hungry to scarf down any crumb of knowledge or tip I can get my hands on. I second Schro. Even though I haven't hit the eyes yet, I'll probably try fathead/jig combo. I don't think one can go wrong with minnows from here on out. Chartreuse or blue/glow Lipstick jigs have worked for me.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 09-15-2004).]

• 2 weeks later...

This Sunday morning on Tonka I got a 43" ski at about 7am, plus a token 24" walleye on jig and minnow at 5:15am; the walleye bite must starting to pick up; it was the first time I wet a line for an eye in Tonka for quite some time smile.gif. It was nice to boat that ski with a million boats around that were after the same thing grin.gif. On Thursday I fished Tonka all day for ski's with my brother and a friend...I had one, high 30's, next to the boat, then she split. If we had a net, we would have got her. The next day we went to Rush lake and fished all day there where my brother caught his 1st muskie, mid 30's, but still a thrill when it's your first. Our friend caught a 38", and lost one that must have been high 40's. I had her in my hands once, but couldn't get her in the boat because I couldn't get my hand around her tail! Only had one hook in her, she said, "see ya", and booked after a 10 minute fight. Although I have done o.k. without a muskie net, I do regret not having one, a top priority for next year for sure.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 09-26-2004).]

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 09-26-2004).]

Calvinist is right, the walleyes are picking up. I was out for a little over an hour last night and managed to get a 14, 17, and 26 inch fish. It was also a beautiful night to be on the lake.

18 inch crappie,

I caught mine hugging the weed edge of Diamond reef in 17-18 FOW on a blue/glow lipstick jig tipped with a generous sized minnow. No secret spot or magic formula; for all I know, that might be the last sizable eye I catch on Tonka this year. However, I have a hunch that that will not be the case wink.gif.

Good luck

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

18 Inch Crappie, I fish exactly where you said, about 16-18 feet. Last night my electric motor konked out on me and I was forced to drift. I'd start at about 15-16 feet, drift over the edge of some weeds on the end of a point, and then on the back side of the weeds as the depth went to 17-18 I would get the fish. Then I'd hit 19 feet and I'd drive back up and start over. This is why I only stayed out for an hour or so, it really sucked using only my tiller. The larger fish I got the other night did hit a little further from the weedline, but generally I try to stay right on it. 1/4 oz Green FuzzEGrub and a fathead.

I strictly fish the southern part of the lake. If you want more specific spots, post your email address. And as Calvinist implied, more big fish are getting ready to bite!

Thanks, Guys
Sounds like I am fishing the same as you, I get 3 or 4 every night but like I said under 18 inches. They all are back in the lake but 4 I keept for dinner one night. I am going out tomarrow night Full moon, going to work the s*** out of it. If I get a big one, a picture and back she goes for next year.

[email protected]

Crappie,

Those ones you catch are fun too; at least you're not getting skunked. I like to catch a few "eaters", and put the big girls back.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

I have been fishing Tonka a lot and all I seem to catch is alot of eyes under 17".
schr0563 and Calvinist Just to compare what depth are you catching thes 26" fish in and what part of the lake east west not to give away your hot spots. I have been working weed lines 16-18ft of points on teh west side. I must have cought 30 or more eyes but none over 2lbs. [email protected]