• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's our time on 'Tonka!

united jigsticker

Cavinist,

I think it really depends on moon light. Although I have caught many walters up in the shallows during the new moon, most are caught during the full moon phase. Often you'll notice walleyes picking off crayfish from the rip-rap (swirls within a couple feet of shore). That is when you want to be casting the cranks. Otherwise I'd opt for a jig/minnow or lighted bobber...off the break.

By the way, after talking about trolling suicks, I decided to give it a try on Friday morning. I ended up boating a 42" ski! I was trolling 10' of water at 3.5 MPH. Thanks guys for reminding me to stay versitle. I had little luck with anything else that day.

------------------
Tonka Boy

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CALVINIST

• Tonka Boy

• schr0563

• markkstanley

TB now try the hawg wobbler or maybe even a creeper at dusk - they get launched. Haven't figured out a way to troll a jackpot but any of the propeller type lures like wobblers and top raiders work pretty nice.

A kid I know uses p-line solely, and he pretty much only fishes Minnetonka, though he's a bass man.

Since I've never fished Minnetonka, anyone have any good spots to share? The fish don't need to be big, since it's my girlfriends first year fishing, and I'd just like her to become acquainted with a variety of fish. She already has the medium-sized largemouth spoot filled.

Also, anyone fished Christmas recently?

fp

On my last post I mentioned that my line was getting tore up on the rip-rap, so at someone's recomendation, I bought 300 yards of p-line, a copolymer that is supposed to be resistent to abrasions. Has anyone tried p-line? Also, when I went out on saturday night, (under brutal conditions)I caught only one small walter, but I lost two fireball jigs on much bigger fish....if I only knew what they were. I'll try the shoreline in Wayzata bay again sometime this week. Once again, thanks, Tonka Boy
<><
Calvinist
><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 10-27-2003).]

I tried to spool the p-line onto my reel and I found it to be the most unruly stuff I have ever encountered-it literally spooled off my reel into the biggest bird-nest I ever saw...going right back to Galyans with it, bird-nest and all! If that happened in the boat just after launching, I would be really mad.gif. Should be called d-line for Disappointment. I am sure it has some merit, but I don't see it. Unless somebody has a better suggestion, I'm going back to mono.
<><
Calvinist
><>

I was unimpressed with ppro line as well... rather than take my drag out when I got snagged trolling, it sunk into the spool and was a heck of a mess to get out... and that was AFTER it snapped at the spot in the spool where it cut itself.

Its great for trolling, can feel everything, but it sure did grip itself and dig in regardless of the light drag I had set...

Wally

Calvanist,

Was that on a spinning rod or bait casting? I haven't found a single line that doesn't twist on a spinning setup. Also, when spooling it on, leave some room so you're not putting as much line as possible on it. Like leave 1/8 - 1/4 inch of the spool lip showing. This helps on that springy bird nest. Also try some Reel Magic, it's like a a lube for fishing line.

I have that-line springing off the open face problem only in the winter. In the summer I use Braided. But the line I found that is "less" likely to spring is Vanish. I'm in the market to find a line that does'nt do that as well!!!!

I've heard that one can eliminate the springiness in line by wrapping a wet rag around your spool prior to heading out to the lake. I am unsure about the time required for this to take effect. Also, when spooling a spinning reel with mono, simply lay your purchased spool on the ground and start to wind. After a short time, check the line to see if it is twisting up, and if it is, simply flip the purchased spool over and continue winding. This should put the line on without any twists. Checking periodicly while filling the reel will also help. (sometimes I flip the spool several times before my reel is full)

EBass
It was on an open face reel. I figured that had something to do with my problem. Don't you think that line fanufacturers would specify what type reel (and knots) would work best for a particular line?
<><
Calvinist
><>

If you are using spinning reels, and having problems with the line twisting up, try manualy closing the bail. If you crank close the bail it will twist your line. If you think about it you make 500 casts and crank close the bail every time that is alot of twists, and you do it day after day it adds up. So try closing the bail with your hand, it will get rid of the line twist.

Are you guys trying to spool up Fluorocarbon? If so.... that stuff will always jump off of your spool. Not so bad for using for the ice... but just use it for leader material for open water. I've switched to the normal P-Line CX from Iron Silk... and love it.

------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"

I was under the impression that because of the way the line goes onto the bail, any spin-casting reel will twist the line, because there is drag and pressure, and that causes it to twist. If you REALLY don't want line twist, hook on a 1 ounce casting practice weight and cast as far as you can (do this in a field), and then WALK towards the weiht. Good thing to do at the end of the season.

fp

------------------
"Cast riiiiight....there."

617svs. That is the same advice a worker at Gander Mountain gave me. It really took care of this old dog's problem. Now I could use some advice on how to keep Ironsilk from unraveling on my bait caster.

Now getting back to the real Topic. smile.gif

Any Reports on Tonka. Thinking of getting out this weekend some time. Are the eyes still prefering a jig & minnow combo?

Later Chris

------------------
"Fishing is an addiction, Anybody got some more?"

Are the eyes hitting on fatheads, or are they into bigger bait? I imagine shiners are best, but hard to find/get to. Will small/med suckers work?

I have had the best luck using Rapalas in and around the channels before dark to about an hour after dark. The eyes like these areas due to the current that brings in the bait fish. The big eyes are in the feasting mode trying to stock up for winter. Fishing seems to be better on evenings where the wind is prevelant. I have tried fat heads, shinners and leeches but nothing has compared to the raps.

The last time I was out, we caught all of our fish on jigs with fatheads. This was last Thursday and we did really well(see earlier post). Prior to this trip, we would bring small suckers with us but never had that much luck on them. The jigs seemed to produce 2-1 over the suckers. The fish that did take the suckers were larger on average, but that 29" we got shows that even big fish will hit a jig.

Getting off the topic again. frown.gif

Flurocarbon (bad speller) is good for bait casting reels.

P-line for spinning.

Mt .02

• 2 weeks later...

It was cold, windy, and damp out there tonight. If I had known it was going to drizzle I don't think I would have gone out. I did manage to boat a 19 and 22 inch walleye though, so it wasn't a total waste. Had it been a clear night, with the moon shining, I think the fish would have been really active. Hopefully I can get out again later this week and give it another go when the conditions are a little more favorable...

I'm headed out again tonight. Since it has been almost 3 weeks since I last was on Tonka I don't know what to expect. I'll report any luck, or lack there of, that I experience.

I have Friday off of work and have put the boat away for the year. Does anyone know if the fish are still biting from shore close to grays bay. If so what are you using for bait. I will probably be going out right away in the morning unless the report is not good.

Thanks
Mitch

I already put the boat away so it kills me to hear you guys are still doing well on the 'eyes!! My last journey out on Tonka got me 3 walleyes, I was jigging in about 15' of water in one of the bays but now since I need to turn my attention on ice fishing now, I was wondering how all you guys get the 'eyes outa Tonka thru the ice?? I never iced fished the lake, but would love to give it a try? If anyone has any tips, hints, or techniques I should give a try that'd be great!!

moses2531 - This year I decided to fish my typical early ice spots for walleyes, in the fall. Thus far, the fishing has been phenomenal. So if you have a spot where you have caught fish this fall, give it a try at early ice.

As far as what to use, walleyes will take fatheads, suckers, and shiners. I typically go with a shiner on a plain hook under a Tip-Up, and then jig a Swedish Pimple tipped with a fathead. A vexilar makes it a lot easier, and a lot more fun too. Anywhere from 15 to 20 feet of water right around sunset should be perfect.

Hope this helps.

Schr0563 hit the nail on the head. Early ice Tonka is a blast then fades as the season wears on. For waldogs anyways and my experience. Dusk time is prime time. The perch disappear then slient for a min or two then walters come in. Mulitple ones on the vex to. Then they swim off somewhere and I haven't found out where. I guess where ever the perch went they follow.

For me the key is steep drop offs(sunken islands, bars, and points) with rock next to deep water basin. Weeds help and having little perch in the area is a plus. Granted as you can tell by my handle I'm a bass guy, but once winter comes I'm into waldogs, pike and the craps.

EBASS - It sounds like we fish the same spots, you described the perch/walleye movement perfectly. In response to your confusion about where the fish go, I am also confused about the movements of the larger schools of fish after the initial flurry. I have noticed however that if one moves shallower, say 11-14 feet, after the bite has subsided, it is possible to connect with roaming fish. These fish are loaners, cruising right up in the weeds, and they tend to be larger than average. I have hooked into several that I couldn't even move until they straightened out my hook.

As far as late ice goes, you guys should try your early ice spots right before the season closes. It seems that everyone quits fishing for walleyes by mid season and the bite turns back on due to the lack of pressure. I really noticed this last year, though the bite did tend to occur a few hours after sunset instead of right at dusk.

Hey thanx for all the help!! That sounds great I will definently have to give those techniques a try!! Thanx again and good luck getting those 'eyes!!

schr0563,
Thanks for the compliment. I'll have a tip up on the edge of the drop I fish. I need to find more spots like this. We should hook up and compare notes when the ice is safe so about a month hopefully less. We can bring WhaTT out there and show him the "ropes". Thing about Tonka is eyes are all over the lake and I bet some spots never even see pressure. And those are the spots I gotta find.

Later,
EBass