• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's our time on 'Tonka!

united jigsticker

Calvinist,

I'm in the same boat as you. I just started fishing Tonka this summer. I was out last night, only managed a couple small pike. That was the first time I've every muskie fished, so I'm not sure I'm even doing the right things. According to Tonka's info, I'm pretty close though. I'm gonna head back out again tonight if the wind lays down a bit.

I had the new puppy out last night, pomeranian, he chased my bucktail right out of the boat on the first cast. It was pretty dive, but I thought he would end up lunch if there was a decent muskie in the area. I had to laugh after he was safely back in the boat. Now he just runs around the boat barking as I cast. Say Hi if you see me in a crestliner with a yappy little muskie lure.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CALVINIST

• Tonka Boy

• schr0563

• markkstanley

I'm going to try and get out again tonight. I wanted to last night, but the wind scared me. Went to gander yesterday and blew the lure budget, so I'm a little better prepared from a tackle standpoint. Of course with muskie lures, it doesn't take long to blow the budget.

I put in at the Mound public access and work the west side of the lake. Should I be venturing to the east side for muskies?? Seems like there is a lot of good "cover" for these fish out where I'm at.

I also like the west side of the lake. But I'm impartial since I live right there. No sense going to the east side.

Maybe I'll see you out there tonight. I'll be in a blue Smoker w/60 HP Evinrude...with a big ol ski on the end of my line! lol Good luck!

------------------
Tonka Boy

I'm hoping to be on the water around 4:30 ish. I live in St. Boni, so the west end of the lake is most convenient for me also. Look for a yippy little dog chasing lures as I cast. I'll keep my eyes open for you.

It's kind of funny that you mentioned your dog. 2 years ago I was fishing Weaver lake in Maple Grove. I had the dog with which is a cocker spaniel. She would walk the ledge of the boat watching for my baits. One time I had a follow. She got excited, barked, and then fell in. My first instinct was to grab her right away. The muskies first instinct was to turn and bolt.

Whew, what a releif. I don't know how the wife would have handled that one! lol

I did see someones new puppy jump right into their tackle box a few weeks after. I haven't brought the dog out since.

Just got back from fishing with MisterMom on Tonka, as usual a fun time... caught maybe 6 walleyes, 3 bass, and a nortern between us in 4 hours.... only 2 of the walleyes were (barely) worth keeping...

Wally

PS Water temp was astounding 56.4 in Grays bay, 59-60 in main bay... time for the cold weather gear...

It was indeed a nice day to be out on the lonely lake! Isn't fall great?

17-22 ft of water and bigger minnows seemed to be the ticket.

MM

Hit the west end again last night. I didn't see any ski's, but had a good time catching decent bass and some small pike. How much does a 19" bass weigh. I got two at 19, two at 18 and one 14. Seemed like a nice bag. I'm a walleye guy, so bass are a mystery to me.

Waterfowler,

I thought that might have been you anchored off the point in Cook's bay. Is that correct? I pulled up close and trolled down the opposite shoreline.

I had a rough night. No muskies. Only managed 2 bass at 19.5 and 20.5". To answer your question, a 19" bass would weigh roughly 4-5#.

------------------
Tonka Boy

I didn't anchor anywhere. I did see on other crestliner like mine out there though. I had a blast catching those bass. Now for the big ski's. I'm going to try and get out at least two nights a week from here to ice out. I also found some deep breaks on the weed edges that looky really good for the eyes!! Do you do much for eyes on the west end. Send me an email if you feel like sharing some info privately. [email protected]

John

Hey Fowler!
Your quote about fishing 2 nights a week until "ice out" is pretty interesting. It will be fun watching you launch the Crestliner and toss big baits while I sit in my fish trap with a jiggle stick in hand!

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

I've got the new winter version of the fishawk that also doubles as a snow machine, just have to put the track system and ski's on the boat/motor!!;-)

Tonka Boy and Schro, Thanks for the advise on fishing Tonka. I will be going out tonite and givin her a try with my bro. Going to Try my new Believer, Giant Jackpot, and Pig Jr. Question though, where are these rocks that you talk about? I dont see any mention of them on my lakemap. (I know there is a pile off Gibson Point).If anyone could drop me a hint where the rocks are, that would be really appreciated. Thanks, I will let you know how the fishin was. Happy fishin. The Calvinist. [email protected]

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 09-27-2003).]

Anyone do any good on Tonka today ??? Was out from 2 to 6 and nothing, nadda...

Found some on finder, but tight lipped...

Wally

Went out on Tonka Saturday evening for about 4 hours. Got skunked, not even a bite. Whenever me and my bro plan to do some fishin, we usually get fronted. Hopefully there will be some favorable weather come weekend. The Calvinist

Tonkaboy,

No mail?? [email protected]

I'm heading out tonight. My buddy from SD is here, I hope to get him on some eyes. I know of a channel that is putting out some good fish right now.

I was there last night. Two small pike found my crankbait. My buddy in the back of the boat caught one small bass.

My other buddies were in a different boat. Tonka Boy gave me a hint. So what did I do? I told my friends to go there cause my Merc is crap, and what happened. My friend Rob catches 10 bass. Notables were a 17" largie and a 18" smallie.

Well that won't happen again.

Hit Tonka for 5 hours on both Friday and Sunday evenings. Caught small bass and northerns. Did manage 1 walleye and a musky, but nothing to write home about. All in all, the fishing was terrible.

Tonka, I don't seem to be getting any email from you? Not sure what is going on. I did make it out channel trolling the other night, we managed two nice eyes and a small pike. I won't be able to get back out until next week now. Hope the air temps warm a bit before then.

Waterfowler,

I don't know what the problem is. I got a message back saying the sent message is in "limbo" and will be resent until timed out.

Any how, good to hear you are having some success. I haven't been out in a few days, but plan on it tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

------------------
Tonka Boy

Had a great evening fishing tonight. It started extremely slow, nothing bit until 6:00. Then we had a 48 inch muskie, and followed it up with seven walleyes. I wish I could have stayed out later. The fall bite on Tonka seems to be heating up!

Only one bass that was 17" or 18" - no ruler on my buddies boat yet. The water is fricking cold. I don't have a temp but it feels like 40 something. I was on the west side and this was Sunday night.

Tonka Boy, I did call you around half time. That was Bill's cell # if you have caller id. We needed your guidence oh great one.

What cha doing on Tues? I got a half day off.

[This message has been edited by EBass (edited 10-06-2003).]

Went out Sat. AM ,was alittle slow ,but we managed to get 5 decent bass,1 - 4 1/2#, a 6# walleye deep cranking the rocks for bass, and a 47" muskie on a spinnerbait. All the bass came on buzzbaits and rats in the pads. This was my first time on Tonka in a year,I have to say it is a fabulous lake , not much boat traffic. I bet it is different in the summer though.

I must admit I am a little perplexed about the fall walleye bite on Tonka. I went out on Saturday between 3:30 pm till 9. I worked shorelines and lake structure at various depths. I have been using shiners on orange or chartruse lindy rigs with about a four foot snell. Sadly, all my efforts yielded only a dinky perch about three inches long, and a trimmed line by something big and toothy. I have heard from some sources that I should fish shorelines, and fish shallow 17 to 20 feet, while others have told me to go deep, like 25-40 feet of water, and that they will continue to be at these depths till the lake "turns over". Being new to fall walleye fishing, what exactly does it mean when the lake "turns over"? How will I know when the lake turns over? And what is the best depths before and after turn over? When shore fishing, how shallow do the waldogs go? Thanks, Calvinist.

Schro, I didn't see your latest post until after I made my post. Good info, also, I haven't forgot what you and Tonka Boy posted earlier trying to help me. Thanks! I'll try the bobber fishing by the shallow dock areas with a sucker minnow. Hungry for waldogs, Calvinist.