• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's our time on 'Tonka!

united jigsticker

MJR, you fishing west end or east?? Tonka Boy and I saw a boat slip bobbering on west end just wondering if that was you.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CALVINIST

• Tonka Boy

• schr0563

• markkstanley

I tried a new spot on the east side last night to no avail. Actually something BIG stole my new shad-rap! Made mincemeat of my fireline. Anyway, I could only get out from 10pm till 11:30. Can anyone tell me if I am wasting my time trying to fish this late in the eve. on Tonka, or should I stick with it? Seems to be the only time I can get out lately.

Just checking this out, been reading all your post's 4ever. I've just never decided to join myself, untill now! I've fished many hours on Tonka, and just can't really figure it out.

eyesearching,

Welcome to FM! I can honestly say Tonka is not the easiest lake to fish. Some do great, while others never seem to get the hang of it. For me personally it took a good couple of seasons before I could put some patterns together.

Definitely scan some previous "Tonka" threads. There has been some good infomation given over time. That should give you a starting point. If you need more info, don't be shy to ask.

Calvinist,

From my experience there seems to be a good bite for about an hour after dark. From then on it can be sporadic, although I tend to notice a seconardy bite about 9-9:30 timeframe. If you are persistant, you could almost catch a fish here and there all night. So yes, I would stick with it!

I am in a older blue and white crestliner full windshield with a white Johnson 70h.

Got 5 last night in about 30 minutes then nothing for 3hrs.

Calvinist,

I know guys who absolutely slay them at all hours. They only fish during the peak periods as dictated by the solunar tables in the Star Tribune.

Yeah, I hate to admit it but that solunar table thing seems to have some validity when it comes to walleyes.

I'm going to hit it tonight at whenever I get there in the little tin boat, out of Gray's probably, say howdy. I'm going to try trolling up over and on the weeds and along the breaks too.

ice

The night Tonka Boy and I hit the big girls we were fishing smack in the prime time - same time periods exist this week Thursday and Friday for those who want to test the theory. About 5:30 to 7:30pm. I was planning to be out anyway myself so I'll let you know what happened. I think other conditions are a much bigger factor to fishing success but there is some validlity to fishing the solunar table times.

Thanks TB. It's actually encouraging to know that you, walleye slayer that you are, struggled the first couple years on Tonka, before you figured out patterns and so forth. With that, I think I'll go out tonight, fish a couple different spots in Wayzata bay, and figure out those walleye patterns a little more.

To reinforce markstanley's last post, I also think there are factors which have a bigger effect on the bite other than simply the solunar tables. I was out last night from 530 until 800. Two of us only managed one 16" fish. Since the solunar table I looked at said it should have been a good night during the time I was out there I was a little disappointed. I am contributing our poor success to a lack of wind. Even if the fish were feeding, I am sure that the calm conditions increased the chances that the fish were spooked by our boat. I know I typically have the best luck when there is a good chop on the water. At any rate, last night was still a great night to be on the water.

I think you guys are getting out a little bit late, my best fishing has been from about 4:45 till 5:45. I also have struggled on tonka for 3 yrs catching Walleyes. My last three trips out I have caught more fish than I have in the last 2yrs. It certainly is a tough nut to crack but the fish are certainly there.

I would love nothing better than to get out during peak times on the weeeknights, however, that isn't always possible with me. I favor what Tonka Boy says about being able to scratch out a fish here and there during the "off" times. Went out last night and checked out a couple new spots on Wayzata bay. Didn't catch anything, but lost a pig on jig/minnow combo. My new strategy-since I haven't had the best luck of late-is to narrow my focus on learning one area for a particular time of year...the "one bay (or area)at a time" approach. Hopefully I can start to see some pattern emerge and pull in some fish.

Badluck,

Did you catch any more after we talked?

Was out on the "Tonka" last nite from 7PM to 11:30 PM. Wow......is all I can say about fall fishing this year. 3 "eyes" two-28 inchers & one 25 incher plus a bonus small muskie on perch colored cranks pulled in 15 fow. Water temps are still in the mid 40's. With the warm temps we have been experiencing I figure we have about 3 weeks left of open water fishing. If you get the chance to get out in the evening you will be greatly rewarded this has been one of, if not the best fall fishing I have over had on "Tonka"

Good deal badluck! smile.gif It's great to hear you are having your best season on Tonka. I've given it a rest for the last few days, but plan to smack a few more PIGS tonight. I can't wait!

Badluck,

Are you going out tonight? I thought I would head out there and troll the deep weed edge for an hour or two after 9pm. Although everyone is having such good luck trolling, I have an unhealthy disdain for trolling Tonka because I haven't been able to figure out how to keep close to the edge without fouling my lure. Seems the weed edge is anything but a straight line; all the little pockets and turns throw me off. Oh well, practice makes perfect.

Bad, I think we saw you on the way in, detangling from your muskie encounter. Did you catch your walleyes after that? We got out about 6, hit one 25" fish in the first five minutes, then nada. They have a narrow feeding window, at least for me!

ice

Well, I think last night was my last night on the lake before it freezes. I managed a 24 and a 26 trolling cranks. I also lost a few good fish that came off after about 10 turns of my reel. The calm weather hurt things again. The fish were active but I know they were scattering as my boat moved over them. A little wind could have made it a super night. Now, bring on the cold weather!

MJR I think we passed you last night - the spot you are on is my first ice walleye spot. Get on that mud/hard bottom transition line at about 17' and you'll catch walleyes there til New Year's. Get anything last night? TOnka Boy and I went out abot 5:30 - 2 nice northerns and 1 walleye in shallow. Looked around a bit trying to find baitfish and came up empty. With the forecast for next week I may be done except for some scouting for first ice spots. Pool 4 is probably on the agenda until Tonka ices up. To make some of you guys feel better I've been chasing around Tonka for over 5 years - the last two devoted to walleyes - and I am still figuring the place out. As this thread shows the big fish are out there and so are numbers of eaters but it don't come easy. Calvinist has the right approach. One bay at a time. I'm adding Halsted's, Cooks and Hardscrabble area next year. Figure in another decade I might venture east of the Narrows!

I didn't get out last night like I wanted to...anybody have any luck last night? Anybody going out tonight or this weekend?

Calvinist, I was unable to make it out Thursday nite my lovely bride had a list that I needed a whole nite to get done. That way she should leave me alone for the whole weekend. How did you do? did I miss anything? Yes Ice that was me untangleing that little muskie in the channel north of the Gray's Bay bridge. I caught 2 of the "eyes" off that point on the east side of the channel within on hour after the little muskie thing. Then I caught 1 by the docks alongside the Railroad tracks.

Badluck,

The dreaded "honey-do" list! Anyway BL, what "channel" are you talking about? The one south of Cedar point; the entrance of Maplewood pond?

Ice-9,

Was that you fishing under the Gray's bay bridge wed. night with two other guys? I had the red Lowe and had just launched.

I didn't make it out last night so it wasn't me but I wish it was. I did drive by Howards pt marina on the way home from work and saw one guy in a boat about to go out I thought that was you but not sure. I may make it out one more time but the weather will probably decide that. I need to spend some time chasing pheasants before the end of the season.

I have been fishing 2 spots that I wanted to try ice fishing pretty much studied the lakemaster map and have marked about 700 spots I want to fish, some of them have fish most of them don't.

I also have been fishing too much of the lake I have 1 or 2 spots in about every bay where at some point there are fish. I am going to start concentrating my efforts this winter from Priests to the three rivers public access, that should keep me pretty busy looking at the lakemaster map not really sure where all of the villages are in this area as I have never ice fished here but I will want to stay away from others. Not that I do not like people I just think that the fish do not. There are plenty of fish in every bay and one of the hardest things to do is stick with the bay until you find them.

Calvinist, I was talking about the channel by Grays bay from the no wake bouys on out to the point. (Bouy's are out now) but you remember were they are. The other spot is over by the "boatworks dock"

O.K. now I know where you are talking about....And I know what docks you are referring to. Thanks!

I've been out the last two days fishing mostly Wayzata bay area and parts of the main lake. I must say it has been a bit slow. My best luck has been in 35' on lindy rigs and jigs from about 1 hour before dark until 1 hour after dark. Haven't stayed out later to sample the trolling bite along the weeds, but that, as other posts have shown, has always been productive.

Been fishing for walleyes for about 20 years on this lake and it can be tough to figure out. It does not behave like a classic walleye lake. In fall fishing the steep drop offs after the turnover has never worked all that well for me. I always fish a portion of every trip doing that, and do pick up the ocassional fish but they don't seem to tightly school like other lakes. I believe the fish are very weed orientated. Just ask the bass fisherman. They catch more walleyes than the guys fishing for them.

I will be out of town for the next 4 days but plan on hitting the lake until ice up. I think pool 2 can be more productive this time of the year, but the lake is to hard to pass up when I can fish the river all winter. Good luck guys.

I went out Weds with one other guy, 14' crestliner older tin boat, 15 evinrude. Planning to hit it pre-dawn tomorrow--anybody done the night thing in the morning lately? I'm assuming the same trolling techniques will work...evening would be prefereable but not to momma!

Probably hit the agua at about 5:30. I plan to try trolling with the electric to test the spook-em theory.

Ice

Ice,

You'd need a crane to pull me out of bed in the morning!! If that wasn't the case I would be out there. If you could, please share your report so I can see what I missing.

Thanks.

BTW, I have not had problems with the big motor spooking the fish. You almost need it to move fast enough (1.5 to 2.5 MPH). Good luck.

Did the dawn launch, was the only car at Gray's Bay at 5:45. Fruitless, windy, and cold. Jigged, trolled, blew, not a touch, home by 8:30. I saw a number of other folks out there--anybody make any contact?

ice

I was out saturday evening and got a 24" and lost two other fish of very good size frown.gif. Was sucessful pulling lindy rig and jig/minnow. I discovered a couple interesting late fall patterns in in the Wayzata bay area. The nasty N.W. winds didn't seem to bother the walleyes too much. If we can only get through this upcoming cold spell without the lakes freezing up there could still be some good pig fishing shocked.gif!