• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's our time on 'Tonka!

united jigsticker

I finally made it out again last night after a week and a half without fishing. Managed to get 4 nice fish on jigs as the sun was setting. We also lost 3 near the boat that were in the upper 20s. Because of this, we decided to go with cranks, thinking that the treble hooks would hold the fish better. After that we proceeded to stick another 4 fish before the trolling motor gave out. Overall, it was a perfect night to be on the water. Can't wait to hit it again.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CALVINIST

• Tonka Boy

• schr0563

• markkstanley

I had some action last night, 4 hits, but no fish. They were hitting jig/minnow combo, but not hooking 'em confused.gif. They were not interested in cranks, so it seemed. Anyway, by the time I decided to use a stinger hook, they quit biting.

Question...

I usually set the hook promptly when jigging, but was wondering...since I was using larger sucker minnows, should I pause a second or two before the hookseset, or do the usual quick, knee-jerk hookset? (One sucker minnow came back half gone, and the other times, the skirt of the jig was pulled down partially, so it appears that the jig is in the walleyes mouth). What do you all think?

Calvinist, I definitely think you could have given the fish more time. Sometimes even fatheads require letting the fish take it for a few seconds. Every time you hit the water you have to determine what kind of mood the fish are in. You also need to determine what size fish you are targeting. Big aggresive fish will eat your combo in no time, but if these same fish are turned off, they might simply bite your bait and hold it before thinking about really taking it.

As for tonight. I went out with low expectations based on the significant weather change in the last 24 hours. After fighting to even get my boat started at the launch (pop can was shorting the ignition wires) we finally got out to my spot a good 45 minutes later than I wanted to. We weren't disappointed however with two 20 inchers in the boat and a broken line in the first 5 minutes of being there. After about an hour we switched from jigs to cranks and got a few more that way. We stopped with four 20 inchers, a 26, and a 28, plus a few missed fish and lost jigs. We had constant action while we were out there.

The best part of the evening was watching my two fishing partners catch the 26 and 28 inch fish. Both of the fish were personal bests, and extremely exciting for guys who only fish a few times a year. Watching the northern lights was just icing on the cake!

Guys:

I've got a rare free evening and I think I'll try the crankbait thing. I haven't done this yet so a little confidence-building might help. I've got some good jig/lindy spots...do I just use those? Am I trolling in the middle of the water column or trying to get the plugs deep? If I know where the coontail/milfoil lines are, do I try to trace those, or get up in the shallows over the down weeds, or just drive in erratic crazy-ivan loops all over the lake? I've heard 2 mph as a good speed...are you guys using outboards or trolling motors to do that? And is this only after full dark, or can I do it any time? The bait shop is closed and I don't feel like getting lost in the prairies trying to find minnows...by the way, does anybody know of another place around Tonka that's open adn selling bait now? I usually launch the little tin boat at the yacht club or Gray's Bay.

ice

Ice,

As I'm sure you've read, we're getting the bulk of our eyes in less that 8 FOW. We're trolling about 2.2 MPH (with big motor) and letting out about 120 yards of line. You'll want your bait to be bounching off the bottom regularly. If not, you're not going to get any fish, plain and simple.

Last night Mark Stanley and I boated 2 eyes (29" and 23"). Both hit as the baits bounced off the rocks. We also lost a few others that came unbuttoned. It was kind of weird because the ones we did catch inhaled the entire lure.

The water temps are in the mid 40's now. I don't expect the shallow bite to last more than another few days. As the temps drop into the low 40's, it'll be time to scope those first ice holes. It's already slowed now, but not dead!!!

Tonka Boy,

You still concentrating on the west end (I think that is what I remember you saying earlier in these posts)? I have been on the east side and the deeper bite certainly has not started yet but like you, think it will happen when the water gets a little cooler.

Mark,

I am in a 17 foot Crestliner with 70 Suzuki tiller and an American flag on the anchor light.

This post really shows how many fish are in Tonka, and how they vary in their location and feeding patterns. I gave trolling cranks a try for the first time this fall. I have been getting consistent bites, but not even remotely close to what Tonka Boy described. I am pulling Wally divers or big Shad Raps over 14-18 feet of water on the east end of the lake. This is along a significant weedline/drop off. Only occasionally will I hit bottom. As far as when to start trolling, as soon as the sun starts touching the horizon is a good time, but I typically wait for my jig bite to slow before I start trolling. I love feeling those fish grab a jig!

Hmmmmm, looks like the makings of a east end vs. west end tournament! schr, what kind of boat are you in? I gotta believe we have been on the lake at the same time here the past few weeks.............

Jackpot (gotta love those lures grin.gif),

You are correct. I live in Mound so I hardly venture too far from there. I'm also looking forward to the "deep" bite. I don't get as many PIGS, but the numbers are fun.

TB where are you at in Mound? I just moved right by the priest bay lagoon a couple of months ago.

I've seen a lot of big fish in Tonka. Given that the bait bite and ice bite window is very narrow, often less than an hour, I must believe that they are well fed. The big fish I've seen lately have been serious pigs, like overinflated footballs. Slip bobbers yield a lot of perch, so I think I know what they're eating. Are we using cranks that imitate perch? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that question...)

So on this deep bite...again, are we cruising big minnow crankbaits past them? Are they deep because of water temps? Are you trolling deep divers? Somebody above said 120 yards of line...that seems long, I assume you mean feet, but that's still a lot of feets. Don't the lures clutter with weed a lot? Am I asking too many questions? Am I? Huh? Am I?

ice

Ice,

For me, the "deep" bite means jigs/minnows. The few go-to spots I fish are typically no bigger then a car. That pretty much rules out cranks as you have to either slip bobber or jig for them. I know a lot of guys that like the good old spoon approach, but I find if I can leave my baits motionless I do better. You almost have to find them before dusk and be ready for that short window you've mentioned. This will start even before ice up.

As far as the 120 yard of line thing...that is true. We're referring to the shallow bite that is happening now. Although these fish are hitting like a ton of bricks, they are still spooky. You need to let out enough line to prevent the boat scaring your fish. Again, this won't last much longer so we'll have to resort to the above mentioned tactics.

Tonka Boy and I are not trolling deep water yet. We are in shallow 7ft deep or so. When I move out to deep water - probably next week - I will be running over 18 to 24 ft of water. I try to keep about 2 to 3ft off the bottom and troll around 2mph or so. Look for sharp breaks on big weed flats. Deep down husky jerks or lead core/snap weights with suspending minnow baits or shad raps. Do a little stop and go - fish tend to whack the lures when they stop or slow down. Make sure the lures you are using suspend properly. Float them in the sink. About 25% of the lures actually suspend properly. Expect to get skunked 50% of time and the other 50% to have a big smile on your mug. One or two fish is a good night for me but I seldom catch anything under 4lbs with these tactics. And I still have a lot of the west end to explore. Kab Dreaming for example said he was catching walleyes in Old Channel bay this summer and I have never wet a line there. Spring Park bay has some spots as does Carmen's. My boat has never been in the North Arm or Maxwell's Bay. Haven't really fished for anything but green carp (bass) on the east end of the lake. Tonka is loaded with big walleyes - we just need to get more guys thinking outside the box because Tonka is not a classic walleye lake and our fish act a little differently. Ain't milfoil wonderful grin.gif

Ice9,

Tonka Boy said it perfectly. All of my best spots are within 20 feet of a specific GPS coordinate. These are the spots I jig at as the sun is setting. These spots are also where I have been getting my biggest fish.

As for trolling cranks, I unfortunately don't have that much experience with this. I have only tried it 3 times this year, but have caught something like a dozen fish or so with it now. I am not using perch colored baits. So far the standard sized wally divers in black/silver, chart/silver, and white have all been good. I have yet to tie on a certain color and not catch a walleye on it. Length of line is just enough to get near the bottom. I typically just let out a good distance cast, close the bail, and hold on. Again, I am in 14-18 feet. I would go shallower but can't handle the weeds. I have been using my electric as well, mostly to make following the breaklines easier. Moving just fast enough to feel the lure working, and with most bites being a simple tap or bump. If you feel this, set the hook and hang on!

Giant Jackpot: White Alumacraft Lunker with a 40 Hp Merc

I haven't quite mastered that deep crank bite yet on Tonka. It looks like I have a mission before the lake freezes!!!

OK I'm a believer. Went an hour with jig-and-minnow and had at least eight bites, no hookups--total tail grab. Then trolled about 90 minutes with perch deep-diving cranks. Worked 18 foot edges. Caught three walleyes largest 26" and a muskie--landed alone after dark!!!went 21 lbs. on the boga grip. That was a pretty interesting few minutes.

ice

Calvinist, sounds like ya got into a school of Bullheads! grin.gif Seeya Saturday? Mabye we will try pool 2? mabye tonka in the evening ?....pends on the weather eh?

Bullheads schmullheads; I never caught one on Tonka! Anyway, Saturday is a go for me. I'll call you soon so we can iron it all out.

Way to go CJAC grin.gifJust don't think it will be that good everytime - maybe half the time. The other big plus with cranks is no wet hands from the minnow bucket!! That alone is worth it. Just curious - what lures were you using?? I'm still trying to refine this thing down so I don't have bring a dozen lure types in 3 colors etc.

Cal, there are a lot of bullheads in Tonka. I've caught a ton of them jigging with minnows for walleyes. Really ticks me off when I drag one them up. Yet another reason to try cranks! I've never caught a bullhead doing that.

Mark, I plan on going out tonight but later on-like from 9pm-midnight. Do you think trolling cranks along the deep weed edges in 14-18 FOW would be effective at that time of night or should I stick to shallower areas in and around the channels?

OK,

You guys are making me sick! I have had times in the past few years doing EXACTLY the same thing you are doing (cranks in 14 to 18 feet) and have had unbelievable nights out on Tonka. This year, nada. I need someone to help change my luck. Any volunteers? confused.gif

Jeez, I'm no expert. Don't mean to rub it in but it was dead easy...I had trouble putting down the jig because I was getting so many good hits, but once I began running the cranks I was immediately on fish. Where are you launching? I doubt the specific spot has much to do with it, but I was on a good feature with a clean sudden break near deep water, a natural spot that's pretty obvious on any chart. I was pulling deep diving rapalas--the kind that look like Wally Divers, I don't know the model--in perch color. I caught smaller fish in 19 ft. (where they were hitting the jig)and bigger fish on and over the weed edges, muskie in the same spots. This was between 6 and 8 PM. Trolling with the outboard, using GPS to keep it at about 2 mph. I was occasionally nipping bottom but mainly I think running lures between 10 and 15 feet deep in 17-20 feet.

ice

Tonka Boy and I are planning to be out - probably channel first and if nothing is going on we'll move out to the deep edge somewhere. Since I haven't been trolling out deep might go exploring some new spots. Channels usually die out right about now but we did OK Sunday. Anyone else going to be out?? Northern lights are supposed to put on another show. Those new deep tail dancers from Rapala really get down if anyone is looking for something to freeline deep troll without miles of line out. I've got them down to 25ft with 20lb braid and going 2mph. Not a big fan of the color choices they have but it is what it is. Still prefer deep diving husky jerks but they require a lot more line to get down to 20ft.

Way to go Ice, sounds like you've got these fish figured out. Tonight should be a great night. I'll be on the south side, how about anyone else?

I'll be out tonight in a white starcraft with Lots of Luck. Have you guys ever tried snap weights 10 or 15' ahead of on an original husy jerk?

Ice,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I’m just chalking my non-success this year to the fact that it is “just fishing” and there will come a time when I am slaying them and most other people will not be. I’ve had a good year and am not complaining. 12 muskies over 30 inches with 51.5 being the biggest. Anything I get from now till ice up is just a bonus.

Are you fishing alone? If so maybe we could get together some time this week and compare notes. I usually launch at Grays Bay.

I usually run the snap weights from 25 to 50ft in front depending on depth I am fishing. 10 to 15 might be a little too close for spooky walleyes. I've tried the keel weights from Bass Pro and run those 6ft to 8ft in front with no problems. I've been thinking of running threeways with a 6ft or 8ft snell and a 3ft dropper but haven't got around to it. Anybody try that yet?