• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's our time on 'Tonka!

united jigsticker

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CALVINIST

• Tonka Boy

• schr0563

• markkstanley

Calvinist

You going out tonight? I plan on going out and trolling for the big toothy critters but will be going slow enough to troll for eyes as well......... Will most likely be on the east side/Brackets point area.

I've never even trolled the Black Lake channel - probably a good crappie spot or two around there. I have seen plenty of shore fisherman there in the spring but hardly any in the fall so I've just skipped through. The formerly red now green bridge into Phelps has been putting out some crappies from what I've heard but there is always a boat or two plus shore fishermen there so I haven't fished it this year. Tonka Boy, I assume you were in your usual shore fishing hole. For a 32" I'll take up shore fishing! But not yet. Kab, my boat never gets winterized - that's what a garage is for!

JJ,

Unfortunately I can't make it tonight. I might be able to go out with you sometime this weekend for those big toothies and walleyes as well. Otherwise, I plan on doing the "9 till 11" thing for walleyes a couple nights this week. I do believe there is a 30+" in Tonka with my name on it laugh.gif.

Ice,

How's the jigging going? Caught any that way yet?

You got it Mark. Are you available any nights this week? Thinking of going back out (with boat) either Wed or Thurs.

Friday's addition to the lunker report, 7.7 28. Plus last weeks catch on LOW. 12.5 30.5. Both still in the water for all to enjoy.

TONKA7.7-copy.jpg

Rainy04002-copy.jpg

WOW that took some doing.

Heading out to Tonka tonight. Are slip floats with a Leech in the channels working as well as jigging a fatty? Also, any word on the crank bite? Thanks in advance.

Cranks are outcatching bait from my experience - plus you get bigger fish. I suppose if you floated 4 to 6" suckers or red tail chubs the story might be different. I just haven't seen the jigging boats pulling in any fish of late in the channels.

How deep are you finding the walleye's? I am taking a friend out Sat and do not want to get skunked. Cranks, shiners?? How deeep...any particualr spots to hit?

For numbers hit a channel at sunset - troll cranks or maybe jig a BIG fathead or twister tail. I don't fish the east side of the lake but Diamond reef and Brackett's put out fish on the weed edges jig/minnow combo. I think leadcore crankbaits would work there too but haven't done it myself. If you are fishing the west end troll cranks along the steep weed edge breaks. Not a numbers play from my experience but the fish are pigs.

The weed edge is 15 to 20 deep. I troll 99% of the time so I make several passes on a spot to figure out what's going on and use that info on any other spots I fish. General rule is if you aren't fouling up in the weeds occasionally you aren't in the right spot. I get happy when I have to clean off green coontail weeds. I've done some inside edge fishing trying to replicate the Mille Lacs deal in 5 to 7 and got a few but this is my first year of trying that so I can't predict any area as reliable.

Went out last evening. Caught one walleye 27". Fat thing too. That was hit...on the water about 3 hours. Casting/tolling cranks.

Hey Mark,

I finally got to play net man the other night! I took a buddy out and he pulled a 28" out of 12 FOW. He was happy as that was his biggest to date. I myself only got a measly 27" nort. crazy.gif Oh well, there is more to be had.

I'm thinking Thursday will work. I'll get back to you and let you know either way.

Has anydody been out on Tonka' this week? I have the weekend off so I will be hitting my favorite lake with my teenage son. I know this time of year cranks are supposed to be the ticket but has anybody tried minnows & are they having any success.

Welcome bad luck! I just started using jigs and minnows about a week ago. So far they've out produced cranks 3-1 for me. They key is to keep it slow as possible and use the biggest minnows you can find. I've been sticking with 2-14' for depths, concenrtating on small breaks. Green weeds are also a plus...if you can find them.

Here's hoping your user name doesn't hold true. grin.gif

Thanks for the reply Tonka Boy. I'm glad to hear that minnows are out producing cranks, I prefer to use live bait when fishing Tonka. The name "Badluck" has nothing to do with fishing it is due to health problems troubled teenager at home,etc. If you or anybody else is on Tonka, look for a white Lund w/125 merc on the back & say hi.

Tonka Boy,

What presentation are you using in 2-14' of water. Are you fishing weed pockets? I am new to the lake, but the weeds seem extremely dense at those depths. I can't seem to get in there without catching 10lbs of weeds. I have been jigging on the weed edges in anywhere from 15-21' with no success. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm thinking about heading out tommorow night. Anyone got any suggestions? I usually put in at grays bay. I know the lake pretty well, but haven't fished it this late before. I'm thinking about trying my early ice spots. I'm not asking for secret spots, just suggestions Thanks, I'll be in a crestliner 202 tourney w/ 225 yamaha. Stop by and say hi.

Ask Tonka Boy if he still likes live bait over cranks after our excursion last night. He has the honors so it's his story to tell. All I'm going to say is cranks will produce big fish this time of year and that's what I'm looking for. And you can still get your limit if you hit right.

I'm not using live bait of any kind - minnow type baits trolled around 2mph or so. If I were to use live bait large shiners or suckers 6" or so are the way to go for big fish. Red tail chubs are the next choice - I think Wayzata Bait still has them. Fatheads sre for crappies this time of year wink.gif

Right now you can muster up some walleyes on both live bait, as well as artificals. The key is finding the active fish. It becomes difficult because we're only fishing shallow water (cannot see on graph). You really need to work these areas hard as I've determined the big gals swim in pods of only a few fish. They don't stick in a spot very long so you have to be there when they come through.

Mark and I put it to the test last night. We found a "fishy" looking spot, without marking any on the locator. It wasn't long before Mark landed a 28" eye. We decided to stick around and see what else comes through. They came through all right...about every half and hour. I ended up catching a 27, 26.5, 29.5, and a 29" walleye. We never ventured to far from our tiny area. We also each lost something huge, but I assume they were muskies.

I'm not going to come out and say you can pick any fishy area and do well. It's just that you have to find that 1 fish to reveal a technique/spot that works. Once you do, stick with it.

Markkstanley,

What kind of boat do you have? I've been out a few nights this week and am trying to figure out if I have seen any of you guys.

Trade secret. I own the only Stealth boat made by Alumacraft grin.gif Blue Alumacraft but there's a least ten just like it running around. Must have been a sport show special or something. What's your rig??

laugh.gifAwesome fishing boys! I have been laid up with a bad cold the last couple days frown.gif; can't wait to shake it and get on out...probably tomorrow.

we're thinkin about headin out tomorrow for some walleye. i was wonderin if any of ya could help me out on where to go and what to do, all that good stuff. any info would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.