• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Top Five Laker Lures? (for inland ice)

What size chubby darter do you guys prefer, 2"-3/8oz or 2.5"-5/8oz. I saw that stfcatfish listed the "large" darter. I am gueesing that would be the 2.5", 5/8 oz.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• caseymcq

• Mike Stark

• Surface Tension

I never checked weight. I only ever saw two sizes in the tackle stores and bought some of both and use the larger size.

I doubt it matters at all to a laker which size is used, they just sink so slowly I wanted to use the heavier ones.

Steve,

You saw all three sizes when you were in the store a week ago.

You must be getting senile crazy.gif

Jim, you must be including yourself in those chubby darter sizes. In that case I only fish with the medium sized one. No way would I spend any money on a laker lure that was four feet tall and weighed 250 lbs. grin.gifgrin.gif

Originally Posted By: Great Outdoors
Yes, we affectionately call the 4 foot/250 lb model the FishFaceFoss Trout Blaster \:D

Hey, I'll take that. Finally got a lure named after me, and the words "trout blaster" are great! grin.gifgrin.gif

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lake trout season opens two weeks from today. I am anxiously anticipating the opener so I figured I would re-generate some of the laker discussion. Anybody have any new lures they will be trying this season?

I bought two totally new(to me) lures, so far grin. One is a Gapen's Flicker Plus Jig. It is a jiggin' spoon that has some fur and feathers tied to the hook. The other is a Kandlefish lure. It is another jigging spoon, black with a red eye.

4" White tube with a 3/8 oz head inside

#9 White Jigging Rap

These two are all I have ever needed to ice lakers.

Casey, I'll be especially interested to see how the Kandlefish produces for you. I've had very good luck on Bside with black/purple finish jigging spoons.

Bill, that jigging rap (in glow), is my go-to laker lure. It's always on one of my rods.

You are right Steve, the glow, for whatever reason it has been a killer on any body that I have fished lakers. Crazy how that works!!

im going to try tubes this winter.

3-4in white tubes

1/4-3/8oz tube lead jigs

nothing new to the laker world but new to me

I also still use an FL-8 that I paid $275.00 for like 12 years ago. It still works great and I've iced my share of Lakers. All the lures mentioned are great and some are new ideas for me to try. My favorite is a white tube on a torpedo shaped 1/2 oz. jig with the tail dipped in red ink. Another style pf 1/2 oz. tube jig that has worked well for me is sold by Moores Lures out of Wisconsin. Basically a tube jig wth a fat round head and white body over it.

I have only really ever used tubes (4") as they always seem to produce. Have used some other baits on occassion with success, but none seem to hold a candle to the tubes. I use white and the glow tubes from Venom lures. They have some different color of glow tubes and they are all pretty good. The 3/8 head seems to give best results, but I do use up to 3/4 on different days with good success. A flasher is a big help too.

Big green/glow Northland Buckshot Rattle Spoon tipped with a rainbow's head. They seem to really like that rattle and they can see the glow long distance. Green is the only thing I have had success with, maybe cause its cause the smelt are tinted a little green. In the lakes without smelt it was still a producer, but I could see how those big old white tube jigs could look like a tullibie.

remember......if you fishing burntside (or really any laker lake) dont forget to have some smaller lures in your box...sometimes its the little guys that get the big ones

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I probably already mentioned these.

Jigging Raps, Swedish Pimpels, Go Devils, AirPlane w/ciscoe or a white tube, Slender spoons.

I see Northland has a new airplane jig out, And I Think I Like It.

My new lure this year is Techni-Glo Rattl'n Flyer Spoons by Lindy Little Joe and a new forum sponsor.

Rattln_Flyer_Spoon_sizes.jpg

Those are traditional Laker stuff and when the trout are biting they all work well.

I downsize when things get tuff. I learned that lesson many years ago after a hot morning with typical lakers lures went cold once the sun got high. One member of the crew slept in. Of coarse we gave him heck for not being there when the action was so hot, we were "fishing in self defense".

He let down some stuff you'd us for pannies and it wasn't long before the morning crew switched up because it was "game on" again with small stuff.

Go Devils in 1/4 and 1/8th oz tipped with a chub head or waxie fits the bill nicely. Good part is the fishablitly of them with your laker rod and 10 lb mono or braid, you won't have to use lighter line and rod to make them work for you in lake trout conditions. If you like glow those things glow like crazy. I like the white/blue and white/pink for all hours and red in low light. Go Devils are one of my go to lures for eyes too.

I was just wondering if anyone has had luck using one of those "trout teasers" that a guy makes out in Brit, MN. They look interesting and i am always a sucker for an attractive gimick! I already bought one, but just want to hear some opinions....

I am not good at loading pics and such, but go to one of the sponsor's websites, setthehook.com , and click on "trout" on the left hand side of the screen. It is there, listed as trout teaser. They sell them locally, in Ely.

They are a different style of airplane jig with a different type of falling action than standard airplanes. I've never used them (rarely use airplane jigs for my style of fishing), but I've talked to several guys who swear by them.

I saw those for sale at Lucky 7 for $10 a pop!!!! I think I'll stick to my tried and true methods that work and wont break the bank!

What about a good old plain hook and a minnow? I do pretty good with em. Sometimes I mix it up a bit with a painted hook and a minnow....just a thought.

I fish live bait mostly, or dead bait, but i caught a ton of rainbows and brookies last winter on airplanes, so i just had to give this one a shot, like i said, i'm a sucker for a good gimmick

Big green/glow Northland Buckshot Rattle Spoon tipped with a rainbow's head.

I totally agree. I used to be all about the tubes but buckshots with a minnow head are now my #1. Tubes #2, some sort of live minnow under a icebuster with a bannana jig #3, and an airplane jig #4. i don't have a #5.

Buckshot results:

TroutmasterBoike-03.jpg

Heading up to the Gunflint for some trout fishing. What do you guys suggest using to catch em. Also, what to use with rods v. tip-ups.

Hey CC, welcome to HSO/FM. Great to have you here. smile

We've got two active threads going right on this board with lots of info on your questions. They're called "Top Five Laker Lures" and "Inland Lake Trout Gear and Tactics," and are just a little farther down the page in the list of threads on this board. Have a look and enjoy!

One of the best laker baits is a 4" tube in white or glow with a 3/8 oz jig. That is all I use, no bait needed. I never use tip ups, always catch my lakers on rod & reel.

Superbee how do you work that lure? Just jigging up and down or do you drop it to the bottom and move it in the mud?