• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

JBMasterAngler

Was a very late start, but got up there today. Was surprised that there weren't that many people out. But then again, most of them had probably already left :blush: talked to a guy who was coming in, he had a very nice lake trout, a brown trout that looked to be about 16 inches, and also a rainbow trout. Red barn access was still in pretty good shape. I walked across lake to fish, measured 10 inches of ice. Caught 1 little rainbow. Marked some fish that I assume were perch. Got a couple nibbles from them, but they weren't too active. Went deep for lakers late in the day. A few schools of smelt moved through, and even got a few nibbles from them. My dad stayed by the access and didn't catch anything. I'm hoping to get back up there next week at sun up.

• Like 2

DLD24

I fished out there in 5' from 645-9:30am saw probably 15 rainbows caught 1...Most wouldn't even acknowledge my lures

Jari

I was up last weekend, 15" of ice, and i caught two rainbows in 8ft, one in the am, and one in the afternoon... got toyed with with no takers,  but marked big fish in 75 ft of water during the day. 

• Like 1

JBMasterAngler

How is the ice holding up? Hoping for one last outing on Saturday.

JBMasterAngler

Well, got out there this morning. Wind really made things miserable. Ice was about 12 inches. Was still in pretty good shape along the shorelines, although the top few inches were "milky". Ice was really popping and cracking the whole time. Everyone was traveling by foot (which I recommend). Tried for rainbows in the shallows, but couldn't avoid the perch, so I went deep for lakers. Marked one right off the bottom in 115 ft, but other than that, just a couple pods of smelt moved through. Pretty disappointing end to a very forgettable ice season :(

Mnfisher

Beautiful fish! An interesting and fun lake to fish!

JBMasterAngler

Went out for 1 last crack at a lake trout today. Wind blowing from the south made for tough fishing. No lakers or streamers. Didn't even mark any smelt! Caught 3 little smallies, a largemouth, and a little pike. 

On a totally unrelated note, does anyone know what was going on on highway 35 in the NE metro this morning? Police/sheriff had the northbound on ramps closed off in Wyoming, Stacy, county 17, etc. I had to take 61 all the way to Rush City to finally get on the highway. The bridge crossings had a ton of people standing and waving at the northbound traffic also. They didn't appear to be protesters, as they didn't have any signs, or flags. 

leech~~
11 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Went out for 1 last crack at a lake trout today. Wind blowing from the south made for tough fishing. No lakers or streamers. Didn't even mark any smelt! Caught 3 little smallies, a largemouth, and a little pike. 

On a totally unrelated note, does anyone know what was going on on highway 35 in the NE metro this morning? Police/sheriff had the northbound on ramps closed off in Wyoming, Stacy, county 17, etc. I had to take 61 all the way to Rush City to finally get on the highway. The bridge crossings had a ton of people standing and waving at the northbound traffic also. They didn't appear to be protesters, as they didn't have any signs, or flags. 

Sounds like you disappointed a bunch of JBMasterAngler fans but not catching any fish that day! :(  :D

JBMasterAngler

Anyone go out on the opener? I usually wait a week before heading up there, so curious to hear some ice/fishing reports.

DonBo

Toying with the idea of heading up there Saturday morning. Only been there a couple times, never on the opener.

SpecialK

The opener was a zoo as usual.  There is 15" of ice in some spots, less as you get closer to the center.  It looked like there was quite a few folks out over the weekend when I drove past the south end.

I fished mid afternoon on the opener and had one miss in 5-8' of water.  I had planned to go out last weekend as well but went west to fish with my son in law over by Melrose.  The reports I heard about opener was that it was slow all around but some fish were caught.

• Like 1

DonBo

I didn't get there either.  Planned on it, but found a good crappie bite in Wisconsin that I couldn't pass up.

trout_guy

checking to see if anyone may have found a otter sled fish house combo, my son was fishing Grindstone lake today heading to Pine City and lost it off the back of his trailer.  his name is Derek and can be reached at 218-393-1486, thanks if anyone has found it

• Sad 1

SpecialK

I haven't heard of anyone finding it but I'll keep my ears open.  Does he know about where he lost it?  Freeway or back road?

trout_guy

not sure where, he back tracked his route and didnt find it, sure someone picked it up

JBMasterAngler

Fished grindstone today. Someone was already set up at my go to spot, so I fished farther down the shoreline than I’ve ever been. Looked for rainbows in 5 to 17 ft, nothing but a few dink perch. Tried for lakers in 45 to 68 ft. Marked a couple smelt, but that’s all. Ice was a consistent 18 to 20 inches.

• Like 1

leech~~
4 minutes ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Fished grindstone today. Someone was already set up at my go to spot, so I fished farther down the shoreline than I’ve ever been. Looked for rainbows in 5 to 17 ft, nothing but a few dink perch. Tried for lakers in 45 to 68 ft. Marked a couple smelt, but that’s all. Ice was a consistent 18 to 20 inches.

Grindstone and can be a tough bite lake. Thanks for the ice report. I usually try it once after Walleye closes.

Andrew John Brummond

My brother and I are headed up to grindstone this weekend for some lakers. Is there any tips that you can give me? I've never been trout fishing. Not looking for anyones spot, just some helpful advice to start me off in the right direction

JBMasterAngler

Look for schools of smelt. They are typically 40 to 60ft down in over 80ft of water. Lakers should be nearby.

leech~~

Old Grindstone can be tough.  I've caught them in 70' and 12' but the biggest ever was only about 3-4lbs. Good Luck.

maxpower117

It's funny how the same questions and same advice is regurgitated over and over in this thread. 

Mitch Heil

I went up there for the opener and didn't catch any. Had one following my lure around in 60' but couldn't get it to commit. I'm thinking of going this weekend. Is the ice good to drive on to get to the 60' humps in the middle and south ends of the lake? Is there an access on the south end? I have a Chevy Colorado. On opener I was in 16-18" of ice but I know the lake can be sketchy.

My Eskimo Quickflip 3 is too difficult to pull by myself when there is snow on the ice. Flat bottom, tons of drag so I need to be able to drive out there.

JBMasterAngler

Ice is good. People were driving all over (myself included) when I was there a couple weeks ago.

Mitch Heil

Went out saturday. Couldn't get anything to bite except the tiny perch when I went shallower looking for rainbows.