• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grindstone Lake Fishing Reports

Mine is just a 14 footer, so I laugh at the faces of shallow launches smile However, the plunge hole at the end of the ramp is deep enough for just about any boat to launch. But with bigger boats, you might have to walk the boat out of the channel, as it's only shin deep all the way out.

As long as it's deep enough to get off the trailer I'm more than happy to walk it out, wouldn't be the first time... I'm going to give it a go tomorrow if it's not too windy. Thanks for the report!

Went out earlier this week and could not find the trout anywhere on the lake. Tried outside of one of the weedlines for crappies and found them in 14 feet of water along with some nice smallies. Fishing was relatively slow throughout the day and I had some difficulty getting in and out of the landing. Water is lower than the picture a couple of posts above. If I can figure out how to get pictures on here, I'll upload a new tire gauge photo...

thanks for the update. yes there are some dandy smallmouth in that lake. i think the big pike will move in soon as well. next month toward the end the DNR will stock some more rainbows for the winter season. i also believe there is plenty of carry over in the lake with rainbows and browns of larger sizes. fishing pressure is very light during summer months and fall. i'll be there in Jauary through March. good luck.

• 2 months later...

Drove around grindstone this morning. One portable about 20 yards out on west side of lake not to far south of boat access. Another one on south end by the beach. He was out maybe 30 yards. Didn't check how thick the ice was but it should be getting there.

Is it totally iced over?

I know there was open water last year on the trout opener. I know I fished 20 feet from it. Almost decided to make a cast!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Steady boys. Just a little more time! wink

01/12/13 - 03/31/13

Lake and Stream Trout - Winter (outside or partly outside the BWCA)-2013 season

lol....not looking for the trout and lakers. what im after is deep fried smelt. planning on a monday trip. just wanting to know ice conditions so i can be prepared to deal with it. thanks.

8" of ice as of Sunday night...might be more now. Just be prepare to walk, it's much safer! That lake is iffy, if you know what I mean. Fishing was slow...managed I crop, as for smelts... nothing, but maybe you'll have better luck than me...good luck and be safe!

So how safe is it to drive along the shoreline? I have never fished Grindstone before but I'd rather not do the metro trout opener sh*t show deal. Cheek to cheek on courthouse is getting old. I am hoping the drive leaves most behind. Is it safe to drive out of the access or is there current over there? Not sure but the map looks like it. Any help would be appreciated.

With the way the water level was this fall, the access is probably frozen to the bottom. I've never been to grindstone on the winter opener before, but my guess is alot of people are there, but the lake is much bigger, so it'll be far from shoulder to shoulder. I'll be there to see for sure this year though smile

thnx...johnsville. that was the plan. park and walk. and i usually like the north end in about 60-80 fow. have done decent in the past up in the north corner.

Was there Sunday afternoon to check ice thickness. It was about 8-10" by the north end. No cars or trucks drive in lake yet. Most people parked by the public access and by the west side of the lake only so if anyone is venturing out this week be careful especially with the warmer climate we will be getting. Talked to couple of the fishermans but most of them are targetting trout.

Talked to couple of the fishermans but most of them are targetting trout.

Doesn't trout open this coming Saturday? Jan 12?

I heard from a buddy who went out last weekend that there was still open water on the lake. is there any truth to that? he was not quite sure because he did not go on the lake, but from what he can tell its open water.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
I heard from a buddy who went out last weekend that there was still open water on the lake. is there any truth to that? he was not quite sure because he did not go on the lake, but from what he can tell its open water.
About the only place that maybe is on the South end where the creek runs out? Not sure where else it could be? There is a little spring running also on the North east side right by shore that may keep the ice a little thin there but not sure it would be open water? confused

Lookin forward to the weekend out there!

Hoping to find a decent laker and some rainbows. I like on lighter line 10 ft down and fish the bottom on the second out deep say 35-90 FOW. FYI trout newbies, last year it worked for me pretty well. Jiggin spoon with minnow head.

Anyone got a read on where a consistent smelt cloud can be found?

Minner

If you go in the north area...stay away from the middle...open water! Measured 5-8 inches of ice in the 30-40 feet of water.

thanks for the warning, and a question for all you trout expert, is there any specific type of structure that the rainbows and lakers like? and about what time of the day do they bite the best?

I think generally, the rainbows will be in shallow, 10' or less. Mornings have always been best for me.

Don't drive too close to shore unless you have to. There are lots of creeks and springs in the lake.