• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grindstone Lake Fishing Reports

Check out my site----www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com.  Look at the Where to Go page and scroll down to grindstone.  You will see what I use there.  good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

Watch for idiots who leave holes like these unmarked out there, could lose a kid in the dark in one of these, completely unnecessary...fun day today

20160123_124256.jpg

20160123_125027.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Nice work! I got blanked yesterday but my bro caught a nice laker.  First time on the lake, was a little surprised with the amount of traffic. I saw a few holes that were drilled like that, what's the point? Are these guys trying to catch a sturgeon? Lol

Was out there Saturday with the crowd.  Normally dont go on weekends but it was a good day.  Met a guy at the landing when I got there.  He was fishing on the east side with his wheeler.  Filled out with some real nice rainbows.  I fished in 6 feet of water.  Saw some trout and caught 3 rainbows and a nice brown on a shiner [tip up].  Rainbows on waxies.  good luck.FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.e63405529ad024e

• Thumbs Up 1

6 feet of water and  the shiner was half way down.  The largest brown that I caught there was caught on a shiner also in 11 feet of water with the shiner half way down.  good luck.

Nice fish Reinhart and glad you had a good time.  I'm heading to the cabin Wed and will fish Echo on Thursday.  I hope to get to Grindstone the  week of Feb 1. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Where were you at Reinhard?  I was up on the north end until 11 or so.  Buddy caught 1 rainbow and he was freezing so we bailed.  If I had known you out I would have stopped by.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was up at the north end also.  I left around 4 pm.  I'm planning on being there next Thursday for sure.  I'll be on the west side  Hope you can come.  You will see my white rusty but trusty Dodge.  Depending on the conditions I'll park on the ice by the red barn or at the boat landing.  good luck.

I'll bet we were within 150' of each other.  :grin:  I was going to bring the blazer down and drive around the edges as there was 11" of ice close to shore but decided against it.  Better safe than sorry.

Edited by SpecialK
Added more info
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hit the grind yesterday and it was very slow,saw 2 got one....The water is really dirty...Why does the water get so cloudy??

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
26 minutes ago, DLD24 said:

Hit the grind yesterday and it was very slow,saw 2 got one....The water is really dirty...Why does the water get so cloudy??

Lots of melting may be putting a lot of run off in?

• Thumbs Up 1

I see it near the area of the boat landing and the east side mainly during hard water.  Run off like Leech said and springs near shore putting soil in.  This doesn't happen every year.  Warm spells and areas that the sun hits most of the day will have some stain near the shore.  The very same spots that have the cloudy area now do not have them in colder winters and more snow fall.  good luck.

I've fished around the a good portion of the north side and found coffee stained water everywhere I went. The fish are still there tho just can't really sight fish them. I had no problem pulling a few limits each time I went and even hooked into a few gorgeous brood stock bows

• Thumbs Up 1

They have been putting brood stock lake trout in there also.  i think the creek that comes in on the north end plays the major roll in the murky water in that area.  They were supposed to dredge the landing out this past fall also so perhapst there is more water flow from the melt ect than normal.  I sure hope they did.  The project was approved.  good luck.

Hit up the "grind" today. As far as the dredging goes...talked to a warden out on the ice, and he said it didn't happen this fall. But is supposed to happen in the spring (don't hold your breath). Not anywhere near as many people out as I thought there would be. I measured 10 inches of ice. Saw 1 truck driving across the lake :eek: Otherwise, everyone else was parking on the shoreline. And yes, the water was very mirky! Fished the northeast shoreline in 3 to 15 ft. Caught 1 rainbow trout just below the ice, and had another one nibbling my bait a few minutes later, but couldn't get him hooked. Marked a couple quick blips on the vexilar, but nothing else. Tried a little bit for lakers in 34 to 57 ft. Marked some smelt, and had a few sniffers also, but I think they may have been smelt breaking from the pack. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks JB!,   Ya I thought that boat landing didn't change much.  Hopefully they do it in the spring, it's getting worse every year.  I have lobby'd for that to happen for years now.  Talked to the guy in charge last year and he told me that they got the approval and hired the person to do it.  It was a matter of getting the cash.  The Grindstone landing was the no. 1 priority in that area.  Want to take my boat with my new downriggers next year.  good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

DO you guys find it better staying put for bows/browns or to move around- say predrill a bunch of holes before sun up and move around looking for the active fish?

Has anyone been chasing smelt specifically yet? I know this is a better bite later ice but wouldn't mind going after a few here soon.

I wasn't targeting them, but a whole lot of people were showing up in the evening that were after them.

As far as hole hopping, I don't think it's necessary. Trout roam around. Unlike panfish, drilling a bunch of holes 20 feet apart from each other really won't be beneficial. You'd probably be better off working a spot for x amount of time, then moving several hundred or more yards away.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm with staying put also.  Find a spot, set up and stay there.  Stay shallow [5 to 6 feet] and stay quiet.  Get away from other people.  Use light line [4 pound test] and small panfish jigs or even just a plain small hook with a waxie.   I set up a tip up with a shiner also.  Never know what will come by.  Can be a pike, laker,  or a good sized brown.  Hole hopping can be good for panfish but not for trout in shallow water.  good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking of heading up here Sat to try my hand at some trout. Was up near eveleth/virginia last weeeknd and the fish didnt cooperate so I need redemption. Also very cool webiste reinhard1!! A guy could spend hours on that pretty dang easily!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone shed some light on the ice conditions on The Grind?  I want to go there in the next few days, but don't want to travel a long way if the ice is unsafe?  Thanks!!!

I haven't been there in a couple of weeks but I'm going Saturday.  There were folks driving out with trucks at that time but I'm not doing that.  Bringing my wheeler.  If your after rainbows you could walk to good areas if you don't want to drive out.  good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

Judging by the long range forecast, what are the chances we'll be able to fish for trout by boat during the last few days of the season?

Grindstone is one of those lakes that freezes up last and thaws out last, but this year is not one of those normal years.  I have been on the Grind one time in March many years ago.  I don't see it happen this year but I do expect a earlier ice out for sure if this above normal temp system stays.  The talk  is that they are going to dredge the landing out to the lake this spring.  That's something that hasn't happend in a long time as well.  It really needs it bad.  I'll be there Saturday fishing shallow for trout.  good luck.

Went to the Grind on Saturday.  Sure was a great day to be out.  Only caught one 14 inch rainbow.  Seen some come through but they were tight lipped for sure.  Had a tip up out in 14 feet of water with a shiner.  Last time a nice brown but this time no flag.  Had a inch or so of snow on the ice when I got there and it was all melted and puddles everywhere when I left.  Had 14 inches of ice near shore.  Saw only trucks parked near shore and only ATV's running around on the ice.  Still time for trout but from this point it's ATV or by foot travel.  good luck.IMG_2736.thumb.jpg.2772b4609cd1e0a63478a

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
8 minutes ago, cookie129 said:

trying to figure it out where is grindstone?

Few miles West of Sandstone MN.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Grindstone landing will not be dredged this spring.  Was approved last year and they said that landing was the no. 1 priority.  Was supposed to be dredged last fall actually.  Reason:  haven't found the funds yet.  Amazing.  They have the contractor and the approval and yet no funds going in on the second year.  Kind of pizzes me off.  In real life buisness they find the funds first and then get the job done.  Direct opposite in government.  good luck.