• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grindstone Lake Fishing Reports

We found some nice 12" crappies our first time there a few weeks back in 28fow?? I think....so about 10 yds off shore lol...I've never fished a lake that drops off like that one...I might try it again this weekend too we'll see

We were out there Feb 16-17; really solid ice everywhere we tried on the lake (where you question whether or not you're going to need the auger extension on the "next" hole). Snow on the north end seemed lighter than the south end, but all across the lake was enough to get a car stuck (probably 4"-18" snow across the lake, depending on where you were at). We tracked A LOT of lakers on the shallower underwater islands and valleys all across the lake (60 FOW or less), and I got one to go each day (both around 14") on a 3" silver swedish pimple where I removed the treble and ran another 2 ft of 8 lb mono down to a small hook & sinker, then baited it with a small shiner (think fathead sized). You can jig the swedish pimple pretty aggressively and as long as you stay within that 2 ft margin, you won't be yanking your minnow about. They did chase rattle baits all day, but this seemed to be the only thing they'd "go" on.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
Very nice, what biting on JPilgrim? Want to bring whole family out there soon. Could we camp at bible camp? Anyone know phone.
The Bible camp looks to be closed down all winter.

Biting on shiners; rig described in my last post. They definitely want a moving bait; keep jigging! We stayed at Sandstone 61 motel.. it's your basic motel, nothing too fancy. We stayed at America's Best Value Inn a few years back - probably a bit nicer for a family stay, but CALL for a reservation... my internet reservation didn't reserve my stay.

Map for reference: http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/data/lakemaps/b0235011.pdf

My two catches were in the underwater valley about 1/2 mile up from the south on the west side (tucked up under the soft point you'll see on the map), and off the main point 1 mi up on the east side of the lake there's an underwater island - this was the more active spot with smelt rolling through and lakers chasing all day. Note the map I linked to is very old; the lake is a good 10 ft deeper now. If you have a smartphone I recommend cabelas recon fish, or for around $10 you can get Navionics USA app which was VERY accurate from what I experienced. Good luck to ya!

I planned on fishing for smelt tomorrow at grindstone lake but the problem is I never been there before, any tips and trick worth sharing? Im just tired of crappie fishing and thought I tried for something different. Buddy of mine told me to stick with simple small hook and spikes. what do you guys think?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
I planned on fishing for smelt tomorrow at grindstone lake but the problem is I never been there before, any tips and trick worth sharing? Im just tired of crappie fishing and thought I tried for something different. Buddy of mine told me to stick with simple small hook and spikes. what do you guys think?
Um, if the crappies you are tried of fishing for were over 12"-14" PM me we can trade some spots and ideas! wink

My kids have been there 4 times last week. One had a 20 inch bow on that got off and his buddy got a 7 inch laker. Other one got nothing in 4 trips.

I was out to grindstone over the last weekend and was very happy with the lake, we fished in 50 ft, and tip ups in 60 ft, the lake trout i caught, 1 was 16 inche in 60 ft on a glow jig with a med shiner right on the bottom just as the sun was coming up, the other was on a rattle reel at 2 am again a glow jig with a larger shiner that trout was 23 inches, the smelt on fri night were fun, hit and miss but fun, sat night not as active for the smelt, so all in all for my first time for trout and smelt, i personally had a blast and will be back to do it again

just wondering if anyone that has been up there this last week has found a 20lb propane tank with a sunflower style heater on top of it. it fell out of my truck when I was leaving the lake I came off by the red barn and my tailgate fell down and the heater must have rolled out the back. I noticed my tailgate fell down after a few seconds but I didnt notice the heater was gone until the next day. I went back up the next day but it wasn't there. i suppose someone got a nice present.

is there to much snow to bring a permanent house out and fish for trout? would i get stuck going to some of the trout spots with the house?

I was out there last Sat...there were a lot of snow, some areas were up to 2.5 FT because of snow drifts. The only good/plowed access is the red barn. So to answer your question...it depends on how brave you are! wink

Hit the grind yesterday ended up with some nice crappies and smelt and a couple rainbows...My brother caught a nice 20.25" rainbow

What side/end of the lake were you on DLD? There were not many people on the ice yesterday. I was on the south end for a few hours in the afternoon. I thought I would try my hand at some lakers. I bought a new mold for making balanced tube jigs and wanted to try them out. I saw what must have been a big school of rainbows go by mid afternoon on the fish finder - all in the top 10 FOW. Lot's of folks around the smelt hole later in the day.

As for the snow... My 4x4 did fine all over the lake. The plowed road from the red barn could be used by a sedan - whoever did it did a nice job. There are snow drifts you have to watch out for. I didn't see any open water smile The bigger question might be whether or not to bring the extension for the auger (you really don't need it). In a few weeks the problem might be water on top of the ice. That's always kind of weird.

Good luck

how is the drive now after this snow fall? I'm looking for smelt have not fished the lake,

Walked out from the boat landing yesterday and made the walk to the smelt hole on the north side of the lake. Only had the car, and I wasn't sure if I could get over the snow. After walking out, I probably could have made it with the car.

Fishing was okay. We did get into some smelt and popped 3 crappies from the same holes. Fished from just before dawn to 11.

Walked out from the boat landing yesterday and made the walk to the smelt hole on the north side of the lake. Only had the car, and I wasn't sure if I could get over the snow. After walking out, I probably could have made it with the car.

Fishing was okay. We did get into some smelt and popped 3 crappies from the same holes. Fished from just before dawn to 11.

Nice. Thanks for the report.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by Grindstone today and fished for 3 hours or so. It was a bit tough going even for a 4X4 so I did not get to the spots I wanted to hit but just stayed offshore from the red barn. There is somewhat of a road going out to the smelt hole that is fairly passable for a 4X4. It should be better in a few days as the snow packs down a bit. No one I talked to had fish on the ice. It was a nice day to be out though.

According to this thread, ice out on Grindstone was March 26 last year. I was out in my boat and caught 4 nice Brown trout on March 29, a beautiful and warm spring day. I bet it will be another 3 weeks before ice out on this lake.

Any trout reports? Am trying to decide if I should give trout one last crack, or head to mille lacs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone been by the lake recently? I'm wondering if it has iced out?

Thanks

Will

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been out on Grindstone lately? i am thinking about going up this weekend for trout and was wondering how they were biting.

fished the lake today and did well. Two of us caught 7 rainbows, 7 crappie over 10", one nice largemouth, couple of small northern and small sunfish! It wasn't the nicest day to be out but just got a little wet!! I will try to add a pic but it doesn't always work for me!

• 1 month later...

Did anyone see the outdoor news today? Twoards the back there is a guy that caught a 30 inch walleye out of grindstone, didnt think they were in there????

Kettle