• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleygirl,

If you are going to be there in August you should not even be looking in Allens Bay. All the serious walleye action is taking place on the main lake at that time. Even though I am a flat lander who only comes up there for two weeks a year, our family has been doing so for 20 years and it is always at the end of July and beginning of August.

The places I told you before are your best shot and like I said before and everybody has agreed, you have to play the wind. Study the wind for a day or two before you hit the lake and be sure to keep note of the direction. Like somebody else said, even if it has layed down you have to fish the windward side from the past day or so. I can tell you that I fish out of Wishbone Resort and I have not went thru the Narrows (entrance into Allens Bay) in 5 years. My boat just naturally heads towards the main lake when I head out. I do work my way around Star Island but it is in a clockwise fashion from Wishbone. I can tell you that almost every guide on the lake (and I know most of them) do the same thing. Some of the guides may chime in here with other opinions but if you have only one day to put a hurt on your hubby then I would stay on the main lake.

Windy

Thank you for helping, I suppose that everyone has their own personal way of fishing the lake. I just want to have a bunch of ideas to try so if one doesn't work I can try something else. I may stumble on to fish right away, I'm just not sure where to begin. It sounds like deadmans is a good spot and I will certainly try it. I just don't understand how you fish a big hump with dropoffs with anything but a jig. I am willing to try anything. Thanks for all your help and ideas.

The "hump" is nearly a mile long. It comes up sharply and the walleye hang on the dropoff. We usually troll with a bottom bouncer or Little Joe spinner and then we keep going over the areas that produce. If you follow Deadmans all the way to the northern most tip it does come to a point and there are guys that will do the jig and minnow thing but most people troll. I don't want to steer you away from any part of the lake and believe you and me I have been over the entire lake while chasing those elusive eyes but I was trying to cut the lake down to a manageble chunk seeing as how you only have one day.

Windy

Thank you very much I appreciate that. I don't really want to spend the whole day driving all over the lake. I do have one question though, If the fish are off of a drop off, how do you get a bottom bouncer to catch them, doesnt the bait and weight just fall off the end of the drop off? Or by dropoff are you just talking about a long tapered kind of a sloping area, kind of like an underwater hill? I guess when I hear dropoff I think of like an underwater cliff edge. I just thought you would have to jig on something like that. I thought that if you came up on a cliff type drop wouldn't your weight just get snagged on the edge and not slide up the cliff?....or am I way off? Sorry, and thanks.

Windy,

never really tried the bottom bouncer thing mostly trolling

what time of the day is the bite while bottom bouncing. Have you tried trolling with any of the Gulp baits or do you use leeches?

Also, do not write off Allens Bay during the first week of August

we troll around the Potato Island at sunset and do rather well. 4 years ago we even picked up a 9 pound eye.

Jlehn,

We stick to live bait. My bait of choice is crawlers, sometimes leeches though most of my family likes to drown minnows. Got some of the Gulp baits but never used them. Trolling works just about all day, especially mid day when the heat gets high, you can go a little deeper where the walleye go and keep the bait in the zone on the bottom. We do bounce at night but that is when we will pull cranks in shallower water as well. Since the walleye migrate from Allens Bay down to the dam it is hard for me to believe there are huge numbers of them in Allens during August. April and May, yes, but August? I guess there are walleye all over the lake but I was just suggesting the highest concentration of them to Walleygirl since she was only going to be on the water for one day. I am no expert and most of my info comes second hand from the top notch guides on Cass so take everything I say with a grain of salt and maybe a shot of Patron! LOL

Windy

Hey Windy, thanks for all of your help. I just read online that there is a walley seminar put on by scheels sporting goods store so I am trying to get signed up for one near me. I don't even know what type of movements the walleye make during a day so I am hoping a seminar as well as this board will help me figure it all out. It is probably all pretty basic stuff to all the people on this site, but I don't usually have to go out and find the fish, I just drop the lines in when my husband says ok. This has been a very enlightening site and I would like to thank everyone for their help and any help in the future. I may get a handle on all of this before summer. Thanks again, and any other tips or ideas...bring them on. Thanks

Windy

during the day do you just troll the bottom bouncers outside of the breaks on dead man? Any specific size of bottom bouncer?

Jlehn,

You just have to get a feel for where they are biting. It helps that I go out with Brian Jones on my first day up there and he fills me in on the depth range. It has been as low as 10-12 feet some years and as deep as 19-21 feet other years. I try to stay within a 3-5 foot range and cruise the drop off. I usually try to play the wind and fish the windward side of the area since you can fish all 4 sides of the area. I like to use 2-3 oz bouncers so I can keep them on the bottom. 5-6 foot crawler harness and I only use super line so that I can feel everything. You can pick up the bottom changes as well as the subtle hits. That's my secret, other than putting 12 hours on the lake every day! LOL

Now it's your turn to share some info on Kitchi. That has me interested this year.

Windy

Windy,

most of the time we spend on Cass. The suggestion on going out with Brian is well apreciated. Our group probably books him for maybe 3 afternoons during the week but mostly for musky fishing. Definitely a top notch guide. I make it up to Kitchi maybe once during the week. Have to stop by the Pug Hole on the way up. Kitchi is definitely a good looking lake as far as structure. Brian took us up there one time to fish the humps but I can never find them. I would really like to find those cabbage beds.

I think I may have seen and visited with you once up at the Pug Hole. take care

• 2 weeks later...

jlehn,when you going up?I might be able to help you find those humps and cabbage beds your looking for.I'm not afraid to help out a fellow fisherperson \:\)

Anything I can do to help let me know.The humps are on the northern side of the main lake and run east to west.There are 5 i think that you can hit with a good drift.the cabbage beds well there are alot \:\) big one on the Northeast side of main lake and one on the east/south sid of main lake.Goto the DNR web page and look at the lake map for Kitchi in Beltrami county.you'll see the humps I was talking about,oh by the way have cabbage on them also.Wife had a 16" walleye on and about a 47" muskie behind it.I've had a number of follows on the lake but yet to land one.GL and ask me if you need anymore help.

• 1 month later...

Hey I just wanted you all to know that I went to the Walleye University School put on by Jim Caroll and Johnnie Candle and it was a great class. I learned a lot about fishing for walleye. I was a little distressed because after 8 hours of class they didn't talk about where and when to find the walleye so I wanted to thank everyone here that has sent me their thoughts on where to find walleye this summer, it is greatly appreciated. If anyone has any additional ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks again to all at this forum.

• 1 month later...

It sounds like the weather has been cold and wet, do you all think that the summer walleye spots will be around the same locations or will the walleye move to different locations because of the difference in water depth? I am going to try to come up and fish the lake in late June, I just don't know if that will really help me because the walleye won't probably be in the same areas in August will they? Thanks, I getting nervous about this challenge, can you tell?