• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Frank, Thanks for the up date and nice fish and it looks like you where bizzy typing today. I have never seen you wright so much. Well it looks like you guys had a good time and I hope rick comes to the bash to get his trout. He would like to get one by the way you talked today glad you had fun and thanks for the post. I am off for more streamers in the am, and I now it will be another good day. I will call you when I get back.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Surface Tension

• JustinG

• Quickstrike

Sounds like some awesone days on the ice. cool.gif

Great report.

I can't wait for my first laker hunting trip up at the BBash. grin.gif

It was a great trip with Frank and the others. This was only my second time laker fishing and a trip it was. I caught my limit both days and what more could one ask for in a guide like Frank? Only one issue the whole weekend was I purchased a new Nils jig and while fishing with this jig, I got power slammed by a larger laker and the dropper chain from the body to the treble broke. The Nils along with any other Nils with a dropper has a split ring in its place.

I cannot say enough about the beautiful countryside and the Gunflint Lodge.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

BC, use that link or try Fisherman's Corner.

Thanks All.

If you knew how painful reading and writing was for me in school,

you'd know how absurd a book would be.

There would be teachers rolling over in their grave, no kidding.

Frank,

What reel are you using with the Mitchell rod?? I have wanted to add a baitcaster to my laker arsenal, and the spiral wrap rod looks nice \:\) I dont have a suitable reel to go with it (actually only have 1 to my name), so I am looking for some options for that rod or one similar to it.

Thanks, and see ya at the Bash.

ps: Great looking lakers, I love when they get that dark coloration on them, glad you guys had a great weekend!!

Ambassadeur 5500C3 is a good match with any laker baitcaster. I've got that one on one of mine, and an Ambassadeur 4600 series, with its narrower spool, actually may make an even better fit. I've got that on one of my other laker baitcasters (the spiral-wrapped one) and like it a lot.

Pretty sure Frank is a Penn guy, though, if memory serves. Lots of excellent options. Any bass-sized baitcaster of good quality that balances nicely with 10 to 14 lb line will do well. A smooth drag is a necessity, too.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Chris, I have the Ambassadeur 5500C3 like Steve on the Mitchell rod. Its a good match. The Penn 920 is a bullet proof reel too.

Ah, Frank, I'd forgotten you matched it that way. JustinG has the same rod/reel matchup and likes it quite well, too.

Really, whichever brand of bass baitcasting reel anyone prefers will work sweetly on a typical baitcasting ice rod of laker action.

STCatfish,

You guys will have to show me that combo at the Bash. All I have are spinning reels.

Great report Frank. If you type with two fingers and spell like I do it can take some time to post a nice report more or less a book!

Yup, I have that combo with the 5500c3. I really wasn't much of a baitcaster rod-reel guy for fishing lakers until I put that reel together with the Mitchell rod. I really like the feel of it and the tip action puts out a nicer presentation than those cheap orange-tipped baseball bats I was using before. It sets the hook nice on bigger fish, too!!!

Justin

Well, the jury's still out on whether I prefer baitcasting or spinning for lakers. As a longtime bass/pike/musky fan, I started in lakering with baitcasters, but the spinning rig I've got is very sweet, and it's easier for jigging and balance on a spinning rig than a standard baitcasting rig for me. Only a spiral-wrap baitcaster approaches the ease and balance of a spinning rod for me.

Hey Justin, aren't you going to give us a fishing report from yesterday? grin.gifgrin.gif

HaHa..Ok.

Great Outdoors and I headed out to Burntside yesterday for a bit of field testing. I ended up getting one in the 10-12 lb. range and another one in the 8 lb. range. Great Outdoors got one around 4 lbs. Had a few other chasers, but couldn't get them to hit. Good day out there.

Justin

Well, that matches with what you guys told me in the parking lot yesterday. Guess you now how to stick to your story, although yesterday's 12 became today's "in the 10-12 lb range." grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I'm planning to head out tomorrow, Justin, to fish before the weather falls apart. Shoot me a call on the cell if you want to hook up.

No can do tomorrow, dude. I am heading out to fish Rainbows early in the morning. Kate said last night she is hungry for a meal of streamers on the grill. Got to keep the wife happy!!!! Your more than welcome to tag along if you want-should be some good action out there!

By the way, Great Outdoors was the one who said that fish was 12 and I said it was easy 10 lbs, so its in there somewhere. It was 31" long and a really wide fish. Best one I have ever caught in Burntside.

Justin

Yeah, if it's 31 and fat, 12 is about right. That's been my biggest Bside laker, too. A great size for fighting. But I know there are some REALLY big ones in there. That's why I generally go with 12 or 14 lb line. If a 20 or 25 hits, it'll give me that little extra muscle over the guys with 8 or 10 lb line, and lakers aren't line shy. Ahh, who am I kidding, anyway? I'll never hook a 25 in Burntside.

I'll pass on the streamers, dude. I'd have to tackle up differently, and of course I have a hard time fishing for 16 inch rainbows and brookies when there are LAKERS a couple lakes over. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

If you feel the urge to get out there in -30 this weekend, I might be persuaded. MAYbe. crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

Yo Wanderer!!!

I gave that 8 lber to Maki and he traded it in for some liquor!!!!!!! cry.gif TRUE STORY!!!!! I let the big one go since it was too nice to cut up. Probably a good thing since I would have hated the thought of someone trading it for some Buckhorn and a bottle of Boones Farm! I will get that steak out of you yet!!!

Justin

Yup, it was a good trip up the trail. It seems like home when I'm up there. Great weather, the fish were on a modest bite, and fishing with good people. What else does a guy need? Except maybe that big laker that the hooks pulled out of half way up!

Next stop the Bash!

Quicky question on "line of choice" for Lakers.

I'm putting an Ambassadeur 6500c3 on my Mitchell rod for the bash and am looking for a line suggestion. Obviously going to spool a backing cause a 6500 has greater capacity than a 5500 or 4500 but how many yards and what type of line should I look at.

When you guys are talking reels... you like the thumb bar freespool for this type of fishing? I would imagine so but I'm just going to run what I got. \:\)

I'm only planning to catch the small ones under 2lbs. Thats just how my luck is! ;\)

Chris, thumb bar or side button for freespool makes no difference. No casting involved, so that makes things easy either way. I have one of my baitcasters mated to a 5500C3 side button and the other to a 4600C thumb bar.

Line preferences vary. I always use mono because I never know whether I'm going to be in my heated shelter or hole hopping out in the cold, and braided line in cold weather, as you well know, stiffens up RIGHT NOW!

The 6500 is really big for lakers. Got a 5500 or a 4500? Either way, some folks spool from 6 to 10 lb line, but I spool good old-fashioned limp Trilene XL in 12 or 14 lb test. Lakers are not line shy, and if I happen into a truly big one I've got a bit more muscle behind me.

I also add a ball-bearing swivel and three feet of matching test Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon. The swivel because most laker lures have some spin to them and the swivel cancels that out, the fluoro as a just-in-case measure (just in case I'm wrong about lakers being line-shy). My tip-up is spooled with 14lb mono and the same swivel and fluoro, though it's a longer leader of fluoro.

I doubt you'll need more than 100 yards of whatever line you spool up. I mean, you won't be really fishing deeper than 100 feet, and almost certainly shallower than 70 feet, and 70 feet is only about one-fourth of 100 yards. Since all my 5500 and 4600 series reels (I think I have five now) are open water bass/winter laker reels that I just swap out on winter and summer rods, they always have 12 or 14 pound mono on them.

I keep my 6500 series reels, which do triple duty for musky/pike/cats, on the big rods of summer. Just a little too heavy to balance on a nice ice laker rod. Although you use what you got, and the 6500 will work out just fine for you.

Maki,

Couldn't ya just shovel Mike's step outside the door for month for that trade? grin.gif

Well, hope I don't blow up the page, but here goes for a newbie pic post. I am the one wearing the, er, what was it JG, a possum?

Picture_007.jpg

Picture_004.jpg

Originally Posted By: stfcatfish
I keep my 6500 series reels, which do triple duty for musky/pike/cats, on the big rods of summer. Just a little too heavy to balance on a nice ice laker rod. Although you use what you got, and the 6500 will work out just fine for you.

Its either the 6500s or the 7000s. grin.gif

Guess I have a 5500 Linecounter that I could use as well, I'll just have to put them all on the Mitchell Mackinaw and see what "feels" the best.

Thanks for the help with the line, I think I know what I'm spooling with now.

Can't tell you how excited I'm getting! I can't believe its been a couple years since I was up there last!